Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 06-25-2019, 10:09 PM
I can dig it

Glad to hear things look good on the air intake Gerry. I’ll have to try to drop over for a visit after this shutdown is done, maybe August at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 06-26-2019, 07:49 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Glad to hear things look good on the air intake Gerry. I’ll have to try to drop over for a visit after this shutdown is done, maybe August at some point.

I'd be glad to see you Mark. Lots of new things to show you now. I am pleased to see you using your skills out here.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 06-26-2019, 08:10 AM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I'd be glad to see you Mark. Lots of new things to show you now. I am pleased to see you using your skills out here.

This job is looking like a good fit, good money, a variety of work and challenges, and still a decent amount of flexibility and time off. The only downside is the travel and being away from home, at least I get paid to see the west.

I may have some work as a spinoff for home too, mostly surface grinder work.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:07 AM

Here's a problem to chew on.
We have high iron in our water, I have never done anything about it, just plugged my ears when she whines about the white clothes going orange.

So the new house has a water softener/iron filter system. I have been reading about it, and note the filter bed has a life of 10 years....so it is expired, anyway.
I noted no bag of salt present, and the brine tank was empty. So it has to be plugged to the tits with iron and bacteria.
I decided to yank it out and put on the same sediment filters I used in the old shack.

My water has a ph of 8.12, and dissolved iron content of 3.8mg/l.
I'm not sure if the expense of a few thousand and a regular maintenance program is worth the hassle. I've read up on the oxygenation type(chemical free) and the H2O2 injection system, and the brine system. It seems that almost anyone can slag the others product, and prove theirs is better.

Basically, I think a regular shocking of the well to remove the little beasties that shit iron into the water is probably the best idea.

What say the farmer brain trust?

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 06-30-2019, 09:37 AM
Something's Fishy ...

You have been living with that water up till now but what does Margo want?

I helped install and set up a full blown no money spared system on a high iron well for a friend.
We found that we could get good water delivered for about 10% of the cost of maintaining the treatment system YMMV
Old 06-30-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
You have been living with that water up till now but what does Margo want?

I helped install and set up a full blown no money spared system on a high iron well for a friend.
We found that we could get good water delivered for about 10% of the cost of maintaining the treatment system YMMV
She's been living with it as is, and will continue to do so as the whole treatment system is out the door now. The ion exchange idea and oxidizing systems interest me, but not enough to spend a ton of money. This came with a ion exchange setup attached, but reading up on it makes me realize that if not properly maintained, it is reduced to garbage.

We have an unlimited supply of good water, just have to put up with a bit of discolored clothes. I would rather have high iron water than limited water.
My neighbors have 3-4 gpm from a 1500ft well. Hard to shower with that.

I think that a regular properly done shock treatment would be more effective in reducing iron. I have not ever done so as I need to find a 1000 liter or so tank that is good for potable water.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:10 AM
Elite Member

Here is some good info to confuse you. https://www.cleanwaterstore.com/reso...-iron-filters/

I use a BIRM filter, (not The andean anticancer herbal product BIRM) and I shock my well about 2 times a year to keep the iron bacteria at bay. I also have an open air tank to let the entrained gasses escape.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:13 AM
Elite Member

My shock treatment is a gallon of pool chlorine followed by a hose rinse right down the well.

My BIRM filter also has carbon to strip the chlorine.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:22 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Basically, I think a regular shocking of the well to remove the little beasties that shit iron into the water is probably the best idea.

What say the farmer brain trust?
Bacteria do not put iron in the water.

Pro's to iron rich water.
  • The iron is there with or without the bacteria.
  • Iron reducing bacteria are not harmful to humans or animals.
  • Iron in your water is actually a great source of iron for your body, much better than taking iron supplements, it is easily absorbed by your body. Whereas, you shit out iron supplements.

Con's
  • Iron turns clothes odd colors.
  • Some people think it tastes funny.

Peroxide (H2O2) systems seem to be the best bang for the buck. With little maintenance other than buying the peroxide.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 06-30-2019, 04:07 PM
Elite Member

The iron bacteria make a slimy goo in my open air tank. Without the filter I also get brown stains in my tub, sink, and toilets. Is that iron or tannins?