Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 03-14-2019, 12:43 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I have the string type as well as the board type. Mine are aluminum and they are stamped for size. The sorting of nuts and bolts the last few days makes them invaluable to me. After sorting the fasteners for an hour, I was getting pretty good at identifying them visually without using the checker. Only had to stop about every 20th one. Usually between 3/8, 7/16 and 1/2 nuts.
That would be the ulterior motive. my need to pick them up. so, I can sort through the half ton of Nut's & Bolts I have.

A few years ago. I bought I think it was eighteen or twenty bends of nut's and Bolt's from a hardware store, going out of business. each bend has six drawers
and about half full of hardware "Nuts & Bolts" and a few weeks ago a buddy of mine down the road gave me a five-gallon bucket full of hardened bolts, Of 3/4" up mostly new bolts... So the OCD thing here is it's an udder and total mess... And I need to reorganize them. So, I won't look at the mess and go Ah, Crap, And just run down to Napa and buy some fastener, over searching the mess for what I'm looking for.

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-16-2019, 10:06 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

If you want some real fun try sorting through metric and inch mixed.

I try to keep every metric bolt and nut I can, (you never know when the world will run out of them) and keep them separate from the standard. But there is one size that will almost thread all the way through a 1/2 x 13 nut, and that has caused some hair loss in some real hard to get a places.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 03-16-2019, 10:37 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post

I try to keep every metric bolt and nut I can, (you never know when the world will run out of them) and keep them separate from the standard. But there is one size that will almost thread all the way through a 1/2 x 13 nut, and that has caused some hair loss in some real hard to get a places.
Heck, Gerry. I really don't want to do any sorting. but, I have this neighbor kid I can pay to do it...
he's pretty good with doing the most general job's around here. and I think the idea of making some money, Is his biggest motivation

Which supports my demanding desire "of not", wanting to do the sorting my self... well let's just say it works for me.
So picking up these thread checkers will also, not help just me, when needed but, I think will help him, "the kid" some in the future. with recognition skills of the various threads types and sizes.

Or at least it sort of sounds good putting it like that...
when he sees that disaster of the nut and bolt bens and rolls his eyes and says "you" want me to do what!

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-16-2019, 02:15 PM
Something's Fishy ...

Most metric hardware looks so different to me that I have no problem identifying it on sight.
If I am not sure I look at the grade mark. You will never see an inch bolt marked 10.2 or a metric bolt with SAE lines on it.
Metric Nuts just look wrong when you are used to SAE sizing.
Wait until you find a witworth nut on something and try to find a socket for it.

How many here have an OA or OB socket or know where they are used?
Old 03-16-2019, 02:36 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post

I have only found three metric in those auction buckets. If I recall correctly it is 12MM 1.75 that is almost a match to 1/2-13.

You want a friend in Washington? Get a dog.
Harry S. Truman
Old 03-16-2019, 02:41 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I have only found three metric in those auction buckets. If I recall correctly it is 12MM 1.75 that is almost a match to 1/2-13.
Yep, that's right. Steering box mounting bolts.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 03-16-2019, 03:54 PM
I can dig it

5/16”-18 and 8mm are quite close as well.

Try sorting them when they are all cap screws with no markings.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 03-16-2019, 08:00 PM
Blast this!

You do not have all the wrenches for the W:dhitworth ??
Old 03-16-2019, 09:07 PM
Something's Fishy ...

No my wrench set limits at about 3 1/2 inch in standard.
After about 20 mm the metric and imperial wrenches are close enough that you can get er done.
I have all the Witworth sizes up to large enough that something from a standard or metric set will do.

Wrenches are like numbers there seems to be a larger one when ever there is a need.
Like everyone I know when a specialty job specific wrenches are needed it gets paid for by the customer and will go with the job if there is a good reason for that.

Otherwise they become MINE I tell you MINE.
]
A good example is the injector height setting tool used on GM diesels. It is used to set the stroke of the injectors the same so that once you have set the rack correctly for start of injection each cylinder will fuel the same and deliver about the same HP. 53, 71, 92,110, and 149 each had there own tool

How many here have ever ran a 110 or had need to replace injectors in one?
I have all the gauges. I even have a 4-53 in the yard so someday I might actually need to use one of them again.

It is possible to set this using a dial caliper if you get the right distance from somewhere and are careful to get them all the same but the gauge makes it simple and almost foolproof.
Usually those tools spend a lot of time in dark places but every once in a while a job comes up.