Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 03-21-2019, 08:25 PM
Director: Fish Seduction

Default Help Wanted: Taco Press

I need something beefier, and less cheesy.

This is one of my most-used holster presses, and it's on about it's 4th life. I think it's time to get rid of the W word and get it in metal. I have another one that's made from two pieces of 1/4" plate that works marvelous, but not in this configuration so the two aren't interchangeable.

So, what I need/want is to find some 1/4" plate scraps... 2 of them 8x12". Then I need some sort of strip for the base and some type of heavy duty hinges to put it all together. I have some 1/2x2" bar that I can weld to the bottom strip to form the T that fits into the vise. Without knowing anything about the types/function of the hinges I can't give a dimension for the lower strip. With the sides closed there is a 2" gap for the foam--so that's what I need to recreate.

If anyone has the parts/pieces or the time and ability to fab this up for me please holler with a price ya need to get 'er done. Or if you're needing a holster/knife sheath made I can help ya out. Knives do well in the mail, guns not-so-much but I'm willing to see if I can find something local to recreate what you'd like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	taco-1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	150045   Click image for larger version

Name:	taco-2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	150046   Click image for larger version

Name:	taco-3.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	150047   Click image for larger version

Name:	taco-4.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	150048  

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 03-22-2019, 06:25 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
I need something beefier, and less cheesy.

This is one of my most-used holster presses, and it's on about it's 4th life. I think it's time to get rid of the W word and get it in metal. I have another one that's made from two pieces of 1/4" plate that works marvelous, but not in this configuration so the two aren't interchangeable.

So, what I need/want is to find some 1/4" plate scraps... 2 of them 8x12". Then I need some sort of strip for the base and some type of heavy duty hinges to put it all together. I have some 1/2x2" bar that I can weld to the bottom strip to form the T that fits into the vise. Without knowing anything about the types/function of the hinges I can't give a dimension for the lower strip. With the sides closed there is a 2" gap for the foam--so that's what I need to recreate.

If anyone has the parts/pieces or the time and ability to fab this up for me please holler with a price ya need to get 'er done. Or if you're needing a holster/knife sheath made I can help ya out. Knives do well in the mail, guns not-so-much but I'm willing to see if I can find something local to recreate what you'd like.
What's the timeline for this project... Is this a need ASAP! like yesterday??
I have all the Material to make it. I'll need some time as I need to finish up a job I'm on right now... and do you want this looking snazzy and commercially made looking device?

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-22-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
What's the timeline for this project... Is this a need ASAP! like yesterday??
I have all the Material to make it. I'll need some time as I need to finish up a job I'm on right now... and do you want this looking snazzy and commercially made looking device?
No timeline really. The piano hinges on this one are just getting stretched out again and the MDF is starting to lose it's grip.

If it's metal it'll be snazzy looking. Function over fashion is fine with me. So long as it folds smoothly and has the 2" gap I'm happy. I've got a grinder and a can of spray paint, just not the experience with welding hinges nor the plate. It's just gotta be tough.

The DW clamp is rated at 600#, and I'm not sure what the secondary clamp (one of Cutter's Wilton-won welding clamps) puts out--but the foam does a good job of fighting back. The other one I have (picture) looks nice, but is about worthless in all but a few applications. The Taco style gets 60% of the work done in my shop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kksmp-12_1_600.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	150050  

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 03-22-2019, 12:50 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
No timeline really. The piano hinges on this one are just getting stretched out again and the MDF is starting to lose it's grip.

If it's metal it'll be snazzy looking. Function over fashion is fine with me. So long as it folds smoothly and has the 2" gap I'm happy. I've got a grinder and a can of spray paint, just not the experience with welding hinges nor the plate. It's just gotta be tough.

The DW clamp is rated at 600#, and I'm not sure what the secondary clamp (one of Cutter's Wilton-won welding clamps) puts out--but the foam does a good job of fighting back. The other one I have (picture) looks nice, but is about worthless in all but a few applications. The Taco style gets 60% of the work done in my shop.
Cool, If you're not in a big hurt/need Or hurry for it... I can fab you up something nice just going to take me some time to finish up this one I'm on now. Then I can get this going for you... have a few ideas for clamping that will suit the projects need, as well.

I'll get with you after I'm done with what I am on, and we can work out all details of design, measurements, and gap
also, will you be wanting an SFT logo in welded on letters... Or a logo choice, Of CNC, cut letters. Or CN BE painted on... Or Are we allowed to use the SFT on something we make for another member ????

Last edited by MetalWolf; 03-22-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:56 AM

Heh, feel free to get as fancy as you want I guess. As long as it's rigid and folds straight across I'm not picky. And again, I'm not in a hurry. This one will work until the hinges bust or the screws pull through the MDF. I just eyeball copied the idea off the internet when I built it the first time and really haven't made any upgrades since then--except consulting cutter about the additional clamp. I also added a piece of paracord on the back edge to keep the sides from splaying out too widely when it wasn't under pressure.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 03-23-2019, 08:25 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Heh, feel free to get as fancy as you want I guess. As long as it's rigid and folds straight across I'm not picky. And again, I'm not in a hurry. This one will work until the hinges bust or the screws pull through the MDF. I just eyeball copied the idea off the internet when I built it the first time and really haven't made any upgrades since then--except consulting cutter about the additional clamp. I also added a piece of paracord on the back edge to keep the sides from splaying out too widely when it wasn't under pressure.
No, Sweat! Bubby.
Making a couple of pieces of steel look good with some watercolor paintin. heck, that's my specialty. I likes finger paintin
I'll figure out the hinging when I get to it. which type will be best and a non-issue for longevity, along with some sort of easily adjustable clamping.
It might come out like It was some simple looking Mfg. tool from Horrible Fraight though.

Last edited by MetalWolf; 03-23-2019 at 08:39 AM.