Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 03-21-2019, 06:58 PM
Made From Scratch

Default Spur Building Jig

I have been tossing this idea around for about 10 years and made a few previous attempts that didn't work out, but I finally buckled down and built it.

From what I have seen most guys make a band, and then weld or solder the shank onto it. That works fine, but making the shanks is time consuming cutting slots, or forging them to shape and it creates a lot of labor not having a mill or something to do it with. I decided to try something different and make them by laminating 3 pieces of flat bar together using 2 halves and a spacer in the middle.

My method works out nicely for me, but bending the bands is always a real challenge. They don't want to bend as easily at the the base where they meet the shank and that is where the tightest curve takes place. Bending them over the horn of the anvil always leaves hammer marks to clean up, and it is difficult to make both spurs match exactly. So after starting to bend another set on the anvil this week and getting frustrated, I put them on hold and built this jig.

Its fairly self explanatory with the pics. After the parts are welded together, you spread the bands to 180 degrees, and drop it in the jig. The bar swings up into the rowel slot and you tighten it down, then using a torch and a hammer you work your way from the shank to the end, bending the band up against the jig. I made the bars for the clamp long enough that I can drill more holes and move them in and out to accommodate different length shanks as well.

The base of it is also set up to bend the little rods that hold the spur hangers on. Slide a piece of roundstock into the hole, bend it over and around the edge of the block, and then cut it off.

With a little more work, I'm going to have the whole process pretty streamlined (and then I probably won't be able to sell anymore spurs ).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spur001-DSCF1413.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	150039   Click image for larger version

Name:	spur002-DSCF1414.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	150040   Click image for larger version

Name:	spur006-DSCF1418.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	150041   Click image for larger version

Name:	spur008-DSCF1420.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	150042   Click image for larger version

Name:	spur005-DSCF1417.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	150043  

Old 03-21-2019, 08:12 PM
Armchair Webbie

Very nice. I don't make spurs but, I do love jigs. I've made a lot of them in my time.

I just know, someone's gonna' read something into that.

Dave
Old 03-21-2019, 09:27 PM
The Real Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lee View Post
Very nice. I don't make spurs but, I do love jigs. I've made a lot of them in my time.

I just know, someone's gonna' read something into that.

Dave
I was told that I should call them fixtures
Old 03-22-2019, 06:57 AM
Made From Scratch

My grandpa spent most of his life as a tool and die maker, then retired and had a wood working shop. He built fixtures and templates for everything. Anything he made one of, he could just as easily make ten of. I always admired the ingenuity, but have never cared to make the same thing that many times. I do see the value when the circumstances call for it though.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:25 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
My grandpa spent most of his life as a tool and die maker, then retired and had a wood working shop. He built fixtures and templates for everything. Anything he made one of, he could just as easily make ten of. I always admired the ingenuity, but have never cared to make the same thing that many times. I do see the value when the circumstances call for it though.
This is an evolution that takes place for those willing to put in their 10,000 hours working machine tools. At some point one realizes that the time they would spend working a piece into shape by hand is sometimes matched and occasionally exceeded by the time they would spend making a tool. Once that realization occurs there is no going back.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:35 PM
Armchair Webbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
I was told that I should call them fixtures

Dave
Old 03-23-2019, 06:34 AM
Voice of Experience

Nice jig......

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..