Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 03-07-2019, 03:24 PM

Default Beginner wanting to learn how to design steel structural requirments

Howdy, I am new here and glad I found such a forum.

I want to learn some better way to calculate and design steel beams, posts, trusses for projects. I am working on a design now to lift 5K + pounds of weight (log) and I am trying to design in a way that is lightweight, so this question popped up again,

"how do I come up with the layout style (Big beam vs Truss vs?) and what shape and size tubing do I use?"

While it is nice to have folks help me by solving it, I would really like to be able to make some headway myself. I know there are a huge amount of variables, but surely there must be some basic design parameters that will keep me from using 1/4" wall when 14 gauge will work? Because without any understanding, I am just throwing material at it.

I have welded a few dozen projects together over the last several years. I tend to throw a heavy piece of steel that "ought to work" and this usually equates "P" for plenty, or really over engineering, or guessineering as I do not know.

While I expect to add some extra steel to a structural problem, I hate the fact that I am just faking it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a beginners guide to steel math that would help me solve my current problem and aid me in the future?

Below is a pic of concepts I am trying to solve for:

Thank you.

-Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	How to calculate structural material requirements.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	149761  

Last edited by mikeysp; 03-07-2019 at 08:15 PM. Reason: I removed third party photo hosting link.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:50 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Hello Mike,

Glad you found us.

If you would please review FAQ About the pictures. You have a few hours to fix if you are able. Nice pictures so we would like to keep them if possible.

I am not one to draw and figure this kind of stuff. There are people on here that are.

In the mean time search Beam Boy on here and it may help you with your questions as well.

Thanks for stepping into the forum.

Scott
Old 03-07-2019, 05:20 PM
Elite Member

Math is your friend. The more mathematical background you have, the less you will struggle.

For an overall way to design structures:

https://www.amazon.com/AISC-Manual-Steel-Construction-Allowable/dp/1564240002/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRI D=Z4R2DPNF47ZGJ68JXEDD

For welding, Blodgett's Design of Welded Structures

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Welded-Structures-Welding-Resources/dp/9998474922

It's not going to be easy unless you already have some engineering type classes under your belt.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Elite Member

Both books arizonian mentioned are excellent. There really isn't a magic bullet so to speak. Trusses take more time to engineer because there are more calculations to do.

As previously mentioned beam boy is a nice little program, but it isn't the solution. It's nice for finding out how much deflection and stress you will have (come to think of it that's all it really does), but it doesn't cover axial loading and it certainly doesn't give you a pass or fail - it is just a tool.

The real meat and potatoes is having a good understanding of how forces will act upon the member and understanding what the limiting states might be.

Sent from my SM-N960U using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 03-07-2019, 08:20 PM

Thank you gents. I fixed my photo posting error. I appreciate the links and will check them out. I am glad I found you guys.

-Mike
Old 03-07-2019, 08:47 PM
Auction Addict

Always keep in mind that you will need to consider a safety factor, i.e., never design to max load on any portion of a structure.

You want a friend in Washington? Get a dog.
Harry S. Truman
Old 03-08-2019, 12:14 AM

Agreed. I think that spirit of throwing metal at it will still pervade, but to a lesser degree. and with less guessing. x is good enough, add y% safety margin for such an application.

Thank you.

-Mike
Old 03-08-2019, 02:19 AM
SFT Historian

Does this link help you?

https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums...ead.php?t=6821
Old 03-08-2019, 07:38 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

"Strength of Materials" there are many books

Or the machinist Handbook has a very nice section.

Also seek out the Lincoln electric foundation book "Design of Weldments"
Old 03-08-2019, 09:25 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

I'm going to say most of the guys here have built lots of stuff and never looked at any drawings or anything else.
They did pay attention to gantry cranes,wreckers,truck cranes,home made contraptions and swing sets modded to pull engines etc.
Tree limbs that were too small had a board shoring up the limb.
The board was small too,in most cases.

My advice,pay attention to everything,you will see failed creations and you will learn from that.
You will see overbuilt stuff too.
But mostly you will see things built out of whatever we had laying around,most of us never had the money to buy new steel,we stole,scrapped,traded and did whatever we could do to build what we needed.

Everyday i see something thats being built and i say "that will never work!"