Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 06-14-2018, 07:36 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Gerry, I was going to post this earlier within my last posting, but after making a cup of coffee and looking at the claw marks from the floor to the ceiling curtain rod and the curtains as well, then a good look at the Main Coon I ruefully call Malficent, I thought the better of clear plastic to guard against claw mark's.

Mine would have clawed right into and past that plastic and grown more fond of doing so for whatever reason Cats have to find it necessary. lol

De-clawing before for the cat and a shock fence barrier for the Dog might be better choice before walking away from the washer.
Simply hooking a electric fencer to the door and a bit of metal on the floor for ground will cure the problem. They only sniff the wire once

I'd like to see that Coon. They are a great cat.
Mine which is a half breed, has a piece of carpet wrapped around a doorpost up to 8 ft, and he happily shreds it, because holy hell has rained on him for touching the furniture. Sometime when he comes to the office to tell me he wants to go out and kill, he will saunter down the hall ahead of me, leap on the scratcher, and be 6ft up in 2 bounds and then jump down and scratch the bottom while he waits for the hairless cat (me)to catch up.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 06-16-2018, 04:11 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I'd like to see that Coon.
Gerry, to off topic more, when I asked a friend to keep an eye out for a kitten, the only two requirements were, 1) Female and 2) full black in fur'nishings.

I'm thinking two mos old when I picked her up a full round ball of fur and whiskers everywhere, mouth as much of what looked like in her ears.

Today, thinking two years and a few months possibly, she's of impressive size, but quiet, really quiet. A very soft gravelly mew.She only started purring in my presence a few months back, has started sitting and sleeping on my lap or in my arm for as many. Personally he exhibited 'wild feral' traits up to a few months ago. Come to think on it, more like 6 mos ago the change began, I'm sure it was due to her being nixed in the nether's and declawed on the front tires.

I will say never in my life have I seen a set of choppers like this on a domestic cat. Fangs as they are long and overlap to his gums fully and a big ass'd head and body. The Vet said this was normal and would pose no future problems.

It's a bit un-nerving to see that big form standing/sitting at my face when I wake up first thing in the afternoon. Those big greenish/yellow eyes startle the crap out of my reverence.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 06-16-2018 at 04:29 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:23 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
When I sanded it I don't have a perfect straight edge to do it with so the sanding marks weren't perfect.
Use of a 1x4or6 etc as long as your paper or scotch bright pad if possible or shorter if that's all to be had at hand.

Scotch Bright pads can be found at any Auto motive or equipment and/or even at a home paint store. I know they have them at Lowes and Homed', just not sure how many different grit.

FWIW, these pads, made, ScotchBright by name but think sold/manf'd by 3m and others by different names will be grit sized and use by their colors, The Brown being a heavy cutting pad, the Red next in roughness and on up by a few colors then Blue as soft and then Grey as being really soft cut/fine finish. I think there are still a few more up like White that is even softer in cut and finish.

I keep the bright red here at the apt, at the farm house and the garage and shop. I especially like them for the apt as cleaning the s/s sink and bath lavatory and commode tanks almost as good as the soap impregnated steel fuzz scrubbers. Cannot think of that pink soaped scrubbing pad at the moment. But both are great for s/s etc.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 08-13-2018, 12:53 AM

Default S/S refinish

Scotch brite pad, Bon Ami, and water. Using absolute straight strokes, will look like a new brush finish,
Old 03-23-2019, 06:28 PM

Probably already taken care of but you can get scotch brite wheels for a variable speed angle grinder. You can also get a wheel called a unitizing wheel. I have not seen the type I am referring to in stores, you gotta get them through an abrasive supplier. We call the ones we use for polishing stainless "blue wheels". They come in various colors but the blue ones are probably best. It is just a circle shaped piece of extra rigid scotch bright with a hole in the center for a 5/8" grinder arbor. Run it at a very low speed and be gentle. Use the outside edge like you would use a cutting wheel. It does remove material but it is extremely low grit. Once you get it polished to smooth then you want to use dry scotch brite pads to blend the pattern into the rest of the dishwasher.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 03-24-2019, 03:37 PM

This is what a blue wheel for stainless looks like.Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0019.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	150079

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 03-26-2019, 09:52 PM

I tried to read through the whole thread and might have missed it... but another thought would be sand blast with a mild media...glass beads or walnut shells... You'd need a pretty big cabinet to blast it or take it to someone equipt. I've done glass bead blasting on small parts and it leave a very fine finish...

if not enough then try the polish trick

john
Old 03-27-2019, 08:08 AM
Standard of Excellence

Wasnt this topic from several years ago? He either fixed it, learned to live with it, or replaced it. Can we drop it now?