Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 03-02-2018, 01:26 PM
Lord of the Minions

a boat built with heavy enough material, good engineering and proper welding technique will almost always provide a longer service life than one that is under built... __________________
Absolutely agree Keith, but it might be misunderstood that using a transom brace in transport will be that added amount of protection from the bouncing to be had without it's use.

And surely, one should not think that the use of that brace will stop any cracks from forming on the transom area's. There are other stress's that are at play in use.

It should be noted that in my thoughts on a boat build, I use Alodine after first cleaning of the Al structure, inside and out. I coat and use this as per the manf's recommendations etc. The boat may or may not see a primer outside of the hull but will definitely see primer and top coating inside, but something is better than nothing when it comes to conversion coatings for the hindrance of corrosion to set in too early. These boats stay in the mud and mud dirty water 24/7, never see clean fresh water in use and never ever get trailered home after use. They sit in the water in the fields for the next days use. If they get cleaned it might be at the end of the season stored at home etc, but doubt that even happens with most owner operators.

Just for those that should wonder, I did consult an Engineering firm with respect to Marine applications with my first field use only crawfish boat. It did cost me a days pay but what I got was solid needed informations for placement of needed framing etc and gusset placement of the boat. Which after several years now of hard daily but seasonal use, very little repair has been needed except for the misuse's of the operator etc.

One of which was being hooked by a 300 hp 4wd tractor pulling a 30' disc and the driver not paying attention as he tried to plow over the front 2' of a bow. But my trusty 350P and Dewalt Sawsall saved the day. Reminded me of replacing the front clip on my SS.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 03-02-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:53 PM
Lord of the Minions

Sometimes I just need to STFU, but I've got one more thing to add..........

I've used Glen-L marine company for 40 years after meeting up with one of their Draftsmen Engineers that was riding cross country from California to their Fla office while riding a 50cc road bike of all things.

He lost his engine just West of Crowley and the SO called my shop to pick him up and fix his bike. It took several days for his parts to come in and I allowed him to stay with my 1st wife and I at our apt.

long story short, I've used him and his company of knowledge for anything boat related over the years since. I also gave him the labor for the engine work and only charged my cost on the parts. In return he gave me several dozen full plan build sets of their offerings on boats from 10' to 60' small crusiers/yachts. A good 300 lbs of paper rolls. sigh This being well before the age of thumb drives and computers in the house.

The following data/Al allows and hardness etc are typical of a Glen-l boat build spec. Which I've used for buying the correct material for the specific are of need.

COMPONENTS & MATERIAL
Hull plating and decking 5052-H32 to H36 5086-H32, H34, H112 or H116 5456-H116

Framing 5052-H32 to H36 5086-H32, H34, H112, or H116 5050-H34 or H36 5456-H116, 6061-T6

Extrusions 6061-T4 or T6, 5086 5052, 6061-T6 Piping 6063-T6, 5456-H116

Ok, I'll STFU now.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 03-02-2018, 06:15 PM
Something's Fishy ...

When you drive down the highway towing your boat the vibrations and stresses it is exposed to are much smaller than those the boat sees when being operated even in calm water. Good design and restraint on the motor and transom while towing reduce the stresses to a low minimum even on rough dirt roads.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:16 PM

Crap, you guys are scaring me.
Might be a good debate about which causes more stress. Probably depends on road condition, motor weight, hp, time, driving/ piloting technique......
My plan for transom is 2x2 on bottom and sides.
2x6 flat across top of transom.
Another 2x6 at 90 deg. welded to 2x6, basically an L of 2x6's.
Also 3 side by side vertical 2x6's in center tying the bottom 2x2 and top 2x6's together. Then 2 gussets that tie the transom to the bench/fishing platform/storage. And corner gussets.
Right now I'm struggling with tiggin the rub rail corners. Uncomfortable awkward upside down positions make my tiggin unacceptable. Mostly because i can't easily control my foot pedal. Thought about a rotisserie before i started.
Appreciate the knowledge/wisdom.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:39 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Thought about a rotisserie before i started.
It's never too late if the need arises.

I'm fortunate to have several styles that will hold car bodies or frames and another for larger/heavier needs that can be altered with a few new plates or a couple welds added etc. to hold the crawfish boats for refurb or fixes or a new build. Come in handy for sure as I'm no longer adept at out of position welding needs without much trouble to get things as needed.

Now about your build, we as a group can nit pick the shit out of anothers toil and troubles, but the end result is your want and need to get what your doing done. I have no doubts that your build will work and be able in use.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfun View Post
Right now I'm struggling with tiggin the rub rail corners. Uncomfortable awkward upside down positions make my tiggin unacceptable. Mostly because i can't easily control my foot pedal.
Sounds like a good excuse to get a TIG Button:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW1Mh3vOJDM

I'd like one for my Sync 250 but I'm too cheap...
Old 03-04-2018, 06:46 PM

Transom almost done except for gussets, a strip to tie the horizontal 2x6 to it's sister and some more welds, ran out of gas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180304_125435.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	143819   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180304_125319.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	143820   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180304_125627.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	143821  
Old 03-25-2018, 07:11 PM

Got a little more done. Been fighting warpage, seems like every weld creates a new warp. She's flat level and square so I'm satisfied.
Have a new found appreciation for the guys who have learned how to manage warpage.
Moving on to framework for transom platform and storage, bow platform and storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180325_114456.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	144148   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180318_190510.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	144149  
Old 03-25-2018, 07:28 PM
Lord of the Minions

Looking good.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:33 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

.....and here I thought LW would have been suggesting an engine by Lycoming
instead of Evinrude......

Would an airboat drive make less vibration ?

It would make it able to go out on the ice, where the jet drive couldn't.