Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 04-12-2019, 09:10 PM
Boiler God

Default Chief Pneumatic Tools at Harbor Freight

I believe most long time Harbor Freight shoppers will be aware that, while still selling very cheap entry level tools and equipment, in recent years, there has been an up scale move toward higher quality offering (at up scale higher prices). Some of their newer welders, cordless tools and other products have been interesting. Not enough for me to buy a new welder from them, but still a interesting prospect.

Over the years, I’ve bought numerous pneumatic tools, some have been exceptional, others fair, but based on prices, I’ve never been disappointed. I’ve bought numerous disposable nibblers, grinders, die grinders drills and impact wrenches, used in jobs that were the tool performed its job, but at the job conclusion, went straight to the dumpster (rendering plants, sewage treatment plants, certain chemical or production plants, where keeping tool for later was not a desirable option).

In the last couple of weeks, the local HF, has been showing and selling a newer line of extended, die and angle grinders under their Chief brand. As I use these 3 tools often, the better quality ones are a good deal. They are of a much high quality and run very smoothly and are quieter than I expected. Currently unlike the upper scale Earthquake impact tools, they are not on the exempt list on the 20% off coupons.

Last edited by platypus20; 04-15-2019 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Fat platypus fingers
Old 04-14-2019, 11:07 AM
Sultan of Scrounge

I think their hand tools have improved tremendously. I haven't looked at the new Chief line. I have a older framing nailer that will not die.

Last edited by tnmike; 04-15-2019 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:13 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Princess Auto in Canada has had their "Pro Point" line of tools out for a while. Definitely a better grade of tool than their normal stuff--still not Mac or Snap-On quality but a definite improvement just the same.

Generally speaking I think the quality (and appearance) of Chinese hand tools has improved significantly in the last few years. I've seen them in several different stores with different names and they all look pretty good. There's a new place in town called "Bolt Supply Warehouse" (they're out of Alberta) and I was looking at their hand tools branded (I think) "Dynamic". Finish and appearance look pretty damn good--they remind me of the old Proto Challenger line of tools we used to get up here once upon a time...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 04-14-2019, 09:58 PM
Something's Fishy ...

Princess Auto in Canada has had their "Pro Point" line
I refer to them as " I hope they won't disappoint" line
I bought a few sets from this line for use at the mine because the miners have light fingers and can pick locks.
Considering the wage they get and the fact that all they need to do is requisition tools from stores I could never figure the motivation for stealing which is an instant dismissal offense.

It was not uncommon to come in for a turn and find most of your locked up tools missing. I always brought 2 complete sets of 3/8 drive one inch and one metric. I reported the missing tools to the mine captain and turned over the set remnants to him. He called stores and got a price for replacement sets and credited my payroll account. since stored quoted Mac or snap on prices I always did very well on this. Like 3 to 4 X what I payed