Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-27-2019, 05:29 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Default '05 Chevy Equinox AWD rear differential re-build

Well, I will say they are the easiest ones to do If parts weren't so hard to come by, not only hard to come by but dam expensive too when ya do...

These things have tons of issues mostly the drum drive clutch and cracking on the rear housing due to tot he mounting... most will go bad from just being serviced because no one thinks of changing the dang filter in them.

And when they do service them the problem is not changing the filter or at least pulling it and cleaning it out... when you drain it all the crap flows down into the filter and slows or even blocks the fluid from getting to the drum drive clutch pack and poof it's burnt, just like trans clutch packs.

will get better pics tomorrow, I ended up putting the clutch front cover back on tonight to keep anything from floating Into it like dust, bugs or whatever else could possibly find its way in overnight. So far got the case cleaned up some picked up the second one in a junkyard to get the back cover to replace the fractures one... cleaned it up and installed the new pinion, ring, and spider gears. waiting for the new drum drive clutch to get here in the morning well I hope it will arrive s scheduled 700 bucks plus shipping overnight was 136 bucks.

IMO it's a disposable car. but, you do what they want, done.
So, hopefully, I will be done in the next day or two and have this thing gone.
The two pics are of pulling it apart fixing to pull the pinion gear.
the drive clutch is sitting in front of it in the first pic.

You can also see the plastic filter through the hole in the rear, just underneath the pinion gear. which can then be removed once you pull the drum clutch housing and clutch drum in order to get to it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0393.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	150130Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0394.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	150131

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!

Last edited by MetalWolf; 03-28-2019 at 02:39 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:48 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Apparently, Nothing has changed with the QC of parts. Oh, I meant to Say SHITTY Manufactured Garbage Parts! A new part shit cans in less than 2 miles of the test drive. So now, I'll be back to pulling the dam thing out once again...

Banging my head against the wall...

I'll leave it at that for now till there is some sort of resolve with the idiots it came from cause it's too long a drama to reiterate on.
But, will say it just burns my Ass when a business talks to you like your stupid and then hangs up on you, when you point out to them there the idiots who sent a faulty product out...

It's Going on the back burner for a few days...

Old 03-28-2019, 07:58 PM
The Real Deal

WOW that sucks
Old 03-28-2019, 08:34 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
WOW that sucks
Yes, it does! but ya know, if it were a 30 r 40 dollar part I'd still be a little bit pissed, but man 700 plus shipping cost for overnight freight and they act that way with a customer... I just don't get it how they can think that. That's ok.
I'll call back in the morning a speak with management or someone in service.

Maybe there will be someone with a little more grey/gray matter upstairs instead of someone who is abundantly blessed, with upper cranial space to fill.
And of course, To give me time to calm "me" a little...

I was really trying to be nice about it but he just made that way to hard to do by talking to me like I'm some kind of ignorant fool... and had the audacity to even say I didn't know what I was doing assembling the clutches In the drum

I said dude that's why I bought it as an assembled ready to go part!... Do yall offer the clutches by their self? Well NO!

I just can't believe the guy hung up on me for telling him, C'mon man well then whos the f*^#ing Idiot here! just so ya know "I like to get kissed before I get F*#*%$ed"

Last edited by MetalWolf; 03-29-2019 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:03 PM
Something's Fishy ...

like to get kissed before I get F*#*%$ed"

Seems like that is not working for you any more That is what happens when you get older.
What busted on the new part? internal to the part or something you could be responsible for if your install was incorrect?
Old 03-29-2019, 12:41 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
like to get kissed before I get F*#*%$ed"

Seems like that is not working for you any more That is what happens when you get older.
What busted on the new part? internal to the part or something you could be responsible for if your install was incorrect?
LOL, Terry. You are prolly right with the first part... Haven't been kissed Or, done the ten toes up ten toes down danceathon in years... But I'd rather be fishing or playing in the shop... cause the other is a young man's game... I've always thought of it like this... sex and credit are a lot alike, They both get you in trouble... and you end up paying on those interest rates forever and just never get paid down enough to feel free of it...

So, Now. On to the part...
If you look at the pics in the one post you will see a part that looks like a transmission clutch pack drum. it was nothing I did it fas a faulty rebuilt part
it just slips in no special tool needed... The part is assembled and then welded
from the manufacturer/rebuilders.
I soaked the drum in the recommended fluid overnight to be sure clutches could wet their self instead of a dry install as most unsuspecting people would do.
So I've done this a time or two with others I rebuild several different types of transmissions and differentials too many to count over the years... So, I can not see where I have made any mistakes... Or overlooked anything
Just a plain ass faulty part...