Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-31-2019, 05:09 PM
Drivin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Nothing wrong with highway or airline travel. They are important parts of a blended transportation system--we just need to include rail in the mix as well. Even though I'm an avid railfan I'm not sure if rail is the best method of travel for longer trips. If you're going 1000+ miles it pretty much a certainty that flying will be faster. On the other hand there are many 300-400 mile corridors in the States and Canada where downtown to downtown rail travel would be as fast or faster than flying. For whatever reason we just don't seem to have the will in North America to develop them...
It has gotten to the point in Western Canada that you have two main methods of getting from Point A to Point B, namely drive yourself, or fly.
As has been pointed out already, passenger rail service is pretty much non-existent, and for some time now, long distance bus service in the four western provinces, with the exception of a Greyhound route from Vancouver to, IIRC, Seattle is completely non-existent. The Saskatchewan Government owned and operated bus line was shut down completely and assets sold off a couple of years back, and shortly after that, Greyhound ceased operations in western Canada (they were the only regularly scheduled companies operating here).
Since that happened, there have been a few small operators running 15 passenger vans or something similar doing some very specific routes, but a lot of Saskatchewan no longer has bus service in any form. I don't know what the circumstances are in B.C., Alberta and Manitoba, but are likely similar to the lack of service here.
People that don't drive, or are not flying to a distant location have been left without much in the way of options to get anywhere, ie. people who need to go to a major center for medical appointments etc. that now have to arrange transportation any way they can.
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 03-31-2019, 05:48 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

I used to live out of a 2002 E350 Extended Cargo Diesel, and 2 identical before that. When my economy took a shit in 2007, I kept the van, its not turned a tire since then, its mothed balled, Im thinking about putting it back on the road this year.

I kept it back then, because it occurred to me, they wont be building them in the future, and it would appear Im right, at least from a gross durability/weight/tow capacity, that I like to own (real trailer puller).

Vans have gotten nicer and much more cube, Im allured, but not really, when I read about all the problems they are having ( diesel ), and with the heavy shit that dominates my life, I really like a big motor and on frame construction, with real brakes, wheels and tires !

Ive had several unsolicited offers of guys seeing it and wanting to buy it, over the years,... I never put a price on it. They wanted it for the same reasons I own it, big, heavy, and well powered.

The big white thing in the pic.. LOL ! anyone guess where that was taken from ? Its a SFO land mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3914.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	150230  
Old 03-31-2019, 05:52 PM
Elite Member

It is a chicken or egg thing.
Customers or service.

In Europe, the land of 30 and even 40 plus percent income taxes (with sales taxes on top of that) the government can afford to provide low or no rider service until people get used to it and start using it.

In a less taxed country, private money needs a faster payback.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:52 PM
Boiler God

When I looked at work vans, around Thanksgiving, I looked at the new Ford Transit series, the new Dodge Ram series and the M-B Sprinter series. After I looked at all of them, before I stayed with the full size GM series. I also took a quick look at the Nissan vans, but they seem to be more of a small transit vans, dry cleaners and flower shops, but not real work vans.

My requirements for a van were, a 2-3 ton load capacity, a V-8 engine, to actually haul the roughly 10,000# of vehicle down the road , with acceptable mileage and pick up.

The Fords seemed a little on the lightweight size, for my needs, they had no V8 engine and load capacity was below my requirements. Unibody construction, is a turn off, I want an actual frame under me and the cargo. I asked current users, Johnson Controls and Honeywell, they said, they were marginal, one step above basic transportation.

The Dodge Ram offering was immediately written off, as the only had a V-6 engine and were front wheel drive, they also were unibody construction. Then there is the whole Chrysler/Fiat thing, nasty vehicles, I rode in one for about a 200 mile round trip, it handled like a beached whale.

The M-B Sprinter vans are about 20-30% more expensive than a comparable van from any other manufacturer. They are unibody until you get to the 3500 series, then they have a full frame but have dual rear wheels, which is a DOT flag. They do not have a V-8 engine. Every Sprinter van I ever seem, that is more than a year old has visible body rust, I won’t buy a van that would have complete body rot before the auto loan is paid off.

So in the long run, while it’s the dinosaur of the van designs, the GM van, for me was the best buy. A full frame, a V-8 engine, the load capacity, a proven track record (at least in the US).
Old 04-02-2019, 04:16 AM
Director of Languages

It's interesting that Fiat brought in the Ducato (Promaster) but not the Iveco Daily. The daily would tick all your boxes except the V8 thing, although they could possibly put a V8 in it when they send it stateside.

Most standard driving licences in europe are 3.5t, after that you're into different tiers of commercial licences so most vans are designed at 3.5t GVW.

But everything gets downrated when it goes to the states, average speeds are higher, journeys are longer, monster gradients are not uncommon.

So when you take things that are predominantly 3.5t designs and send them stateside they're gonna seem a bit puny, I suppose for most owners that's not a big deal but for the likes of you options are increasingly limited. The sprinter or the iveco are the only choices and the sprinter is really an uprated light van whereas the iveco daily is a van on a 7t truck chassis.

It would seem like a great choice for fiat to bring the the states

https://www.iveco.com/uk/products/pa...daily-van.aspx