Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-21-2019, 05:26 PM

Default Grease gun problems

I am having a problem with my grease guns. They will not feed the grease
properly up the tube. The grease is a few years old so is it possible that the grease has separated an will not feed properly.
Thanks
Old 03-21-2019, 05:59 PM
Auction Addict

This is a manual pump right? If so do you have a little button at the hose end? It is a air bleeder. Push it in and pump. Sounds like you have air in the tube. If that does not work, pull out the shaft with the spring and lock it. Unscrew the tube. Make sure you have grease to the very top of the tube. Screw it back together only half way, then pump, turn a half turn, pump, etc. until you can feel the pressure pushing the grease. Then tighten the tube.

We are losing sight of civility in government and politics. Debate and dialogue is taking a back seat to the politics of destruction and anger and control. Dogma has replaced thoughtful discussion between people of differing views.

Last edited by milomilo; 03-21-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:13 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldarc View Post
I am having a problem with my grease guns. They will not feed the grease
properly up the tube. The grease is a few years old so is it possible that the grease has separated an will not feed properly.
Thanks
I just ran into this problem a few weeks ago. I don't use my gun on a regular basis, it just hangs by the door, and the oils in the grease ran out the bottom onto the floor. Same with my wheel bearing packer, except the oils stayed in the packer. Since the oils in the gun got past the bottom seal, I decided to chuck the gun and bought a new one. On the bearing packer, I'll just stir up the grease before I pack the next set of bearings.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:43 PM
The Real Deal

It also helps to pump the locking rod a few times to get it to pump
Old 03-30-2019, 09:23 PM
Elite Member

Sometimes the grease in the pump will stiffen up to a point where the spring pressure is not sufficient to push it through. This happens with certain greases that have not been used for some time. In this case I have had to clean out the firm grease and start again with fresh.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:51 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Geez, guys, You live in "Frozen Canada" Try defrosting it...

Seriously Pup grease guns can be a total PITA, I've had that problem even when almost a regular use of once a week. Most GG's I have had... have a relief valve on top next to the bottom of the hose fitting... looks sort of like a nipple with a small ball valve, if you push it and pump it, it should allow any degenerated oils/separated grease, and air release and start pumping again.

But if it's hard crusty grease well then you just got to pull it apart clean it and start over anew.

I got tired of screwing with that crap and went to the battery operated Bosh electric grease gun so far even after a year of sitting it has not failed to pump grease. It will siphon any separated grease and oil rubbish automatically and push it out, you just have to let that crap go first before greasing anything...

I've tried the air operated ones but drop them... a time or two and well their just garbage and will never work again even if you get the ones that come with a seal kit to repair it with they won't work after... so they're a waste of money... IMO.

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-31-2019, 12:01 PM
Voice of Experience

I went to bulk feed and ended my feed problems. Works the first time every time. Cheaper, less mess. If you bulk feed be sure to turn the piston around..

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 03-31-2019, 04:45 PM
Drivin' Fool

In the past I have had hand pump grease guns refuse to feed , even with a new cartridge in them. I quickly got sick and tired of trying to bleed air out of them with spring pressure alone, generally without much success for more time than I wanted to have a machine sitting idle in need of grease, and to fix that PIA, I usually took the gun apart and welded the plunger to the feed rod.

It is a bit of a nuisance not being able to push the rod up inside the cartridge housing, but at least I could put enough pressure on the plunger to force the grease toward the feed end and bleed the air out of the system in a reasonable length of time.
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 04-01-2019, 10:03 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramd View Post
In the past I have had hand pump grease guns refuse to feed , even with a new cartridge in them. I quickly got sick and tired of trying to bleed air out of them with spring pressure alone, generally without much success for more time than I wanted to have a machine sitting idle in need of grease, and to fix that PIA, I usually took the gun apart and welded the plunger to the feed rod.

It is a bit of a nuisance not being able to push the rod up inside the cartridge housing, but at least I could put enough pressure on the plunger to force the grease toward the feed end and bleed the air out of the system in a reasonable length of time.
I usually only screw the end on 2-3 turns, then release the rod and wait until I get back to where I am using it, then screw it on tight. Lest the air bleed out.

We are losing sight of civility in government and politics. Debate and dialogue is taking a back seat to the politics of destruction and anger and control. Dogma has replaced thoughtful discussion between people of differing views.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:06 AM
Something's Fishy ...

Lest the air bleed out.
Well you would not want that nasty air to bleed out would you
If it did you would not be able to join the frustrated grease gun throwers club