Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-16-2019, 01:49 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Ok, so no more pics. But I do have a question maybe you guys can answer for me because I don't see it... And my compadre says it is just me.
But by the pics, How close do you think I got to blending the new color to the old color... cause I don't see any close or close enough match there...
I don't know... it might be me... as my buddy says I'm just being anal about it.
trying to figure if he's just that color blind or I am just that anal... which I totally doubt.

So what say ye! and let's be honest brutally if you feel you need to...

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-16-2019, 08:58 AM
Stuff, Just stuff

If the customer is happy your done. Move on to the next adventure.

Scott
Old 03-21-2019, 10:58 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Ok, so no more pics. But I do have a question maybe you guys can answer for me because I don't see it... And my compadre says it is just me.
But by the pics, How close do you think I got to blending the new color to the old color... cause I don't see any close or close enough match there...
I don't know... it might be me... as my buddy says I'm just being anal about it.
trying to figure if he's just that color blind or I am just that anal... which I totally doubt.

So what say ye! and let's be honest brutally if you feel you need to...
Wolfie, that job looks mighty fine from here. As far as the color match goes, I can't tell if the bottom two-tone color is supposed to be silver or if it has a bit of an almond flavor to it. Maybe there's something reflecting that color close by. The bumpers definitely look silver and all of one color. Since he/you is planning on repainting the entire rig, the color mismatch, if any, won't really matter at that time.

As far as runs go, and you probably already know this, a bit of masking tape right on the run if you notice it quick enough will pull it right off, then fan a bit more on and blend it in.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:45 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonian View Post
Wolfie, that job looks mighty fine from here. As far as the color match goes, I can't tell if the bottom two-tone color is supposed to be silver or if it has a bit of an almond flavor to it. Maybe there's something reflecting that color close by. The bumpers definitely look silver and all of one color. Since he/you is planning on repainting the entire rig, the color mismatch, if any, won't really matter at that time.

As far as runs go, and you probably already know this, a bit of masking tape right on the run if you notice it quick enough will pull it right off, then fan a bit more on and blend it in.
Both colors are a bit of an almond-gold very fine metal flake.
Just ordered the paint this evening "for the primary color" To repaint it "they are proud" price wise, of these old factory colors... but because I really don't enjoy painting anymore I'm going to sub all the prep work out, hire someone to prep it then " sanding and ding fixing " all I'll need to do is final wash, tack, primer, seal, and paint.

Yep, Taping out... a run when ya catch it is easy, and for sure best if it is caught before it flashes over... If I don't catch one after it's flashed then I just leave it and use the cut and sand fix re-scuff and re-shoot.
I'm sure you've seen or used one of the run shavers kind of like a razor or plainer. they work really well in time-saving if ya have to sand out a run.

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!

Last edited by MetalWolf; 03-22-2019 at 05:51 AM.