Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 08-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Below Wholesale

Default Anyone built a hyd wheel lift?

I have been thinking of putting one on my truck. I was looking used A used box of parts, low end model is around $1500. Seems that I could put one together for less? Of course I want one with bells and whistles so that push up the price. Power down and in/out would sure be nice. Jsut need to source the long rams for the in/out. There is nice one (out of my budget) for sale local so I plan on taking some pics and sizing it up.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:46 PM

I was going to buy one and thout it was too much money, So I decided to build one with all the bells and whistls, Well it ended up costing twice as much as the one i was going to buy. so thats my opinion.

Tool's,...................
Too much to list.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:27 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Just what is the purpose of this hydraulic wheel lift?

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 08-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flametamer

Towing. Something simmular to:
sneekerlift

Dt
Old 08-10-2007, 11:38 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Ah, thanks.

Just Keep Walking

Old 08-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Below Wholesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by flametamer View Post
Towing. Something simmular to:
sneekerlift

Dt
thats the style I would like (minus the repo style L arms) nice and low profile
Old 08-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Below Wholesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy_m View Post
I was going to buy one and thout it was too much money, So I decided to build one with all the bells and whistls, Well it ended up costing twice as much as the one i was going to buy. so thats my opinion.
got any pics? what ended up being the expensive part(s)?
Old 08-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Elite Member

This gives me a chance to tell a story:
A buddy of mine since grade school is a limo broker.
That means he is into used cars, but they are long used cars.
Sometimes when he buys on out of town, I will fly out and drive the car back for him. Last month I went to Long Island to drive back what is called a 200 inch Expeditation. That means they cut a stock one in half behind the front doors and ADD 200 inchs. You end up with something about as long as a school bus, but without the view, beacuse you are sitting so low.
Any way, on I-80, right at the NJ/Pa border (The Delaware Water Gap for those of you in the area. Right east of the "Penn Barrens") I get a blow out. Shredded the tire. No spare because they use the space where the spare was for boom boom speakers. NJDOT truck pulls up pretty quick and calls in for a tow. I hear him say "this is a truck type limo. It is 200 inchs long. We will need a big truck." But it is right at shift change time. 3 hours later, when the truck shows up. it is a standard roll on/off. Way to short to put me on. They say they got a call for a pickup truck with a flat and no spare. I say that they got some of it right.
We decide to try and use the forks under the back of the truck to tow me in. We were worried about the weight. We should have been. We didn't get 2 miles down the road and we busted the forks support. Dramatic smoke and squeals when the front tires hit the pavement. Had to go back to the shop for "the big truck"
It was 11:30 before I was buying everybody cheeseburgers at the local truck stop where I got a room for the night, so I cound go to the bank in the AM and get an advance on my credit card to pay them for a tow, a used tire, and 7 hours labor. I had met 3 generations of the tow guy's family, and I think I have an invation to the family reunion.
What does have to do with your tow thing?
Figure out a way to put dolly wheels under the cradle to take the weight. Do not depend on the hydraluics. Eventually you will overload it and blow a seal. And it always happes in a bad place.
BTW, I ended up going back into NYC and getting 4 new tires. Drove by the spot where this all happened 27 hours later.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:11 PM
King of Procrastinators

cutter,

The repo guys are using more of those sneekerlifts here in Baltimore (fast becoming the murder capital). They tell me they are pull alongside a reasonably parked, parallel that is, lower the lift and have the vehicle out of the parking space before the unaware owner, who could be sitting on his stoop, even knows what is going on. They're really neat.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:54 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs2244 View Post
T.
BTW, I ended up going back into NYC and getting 4 new tires. Drove by the spot where this all happened 27 hours later.
lol Now that's a great story.

Nothing related except the tow truck sort of, but I was with my SIL down at Midland a few years ago when we just happened to see some thousand dollar millionare car dealer with a Jimmy Swaggert hair cut trying to load a Rolls Royce on a roll-off truck. He didn't give himself enough ramp and drug the rear end pretty hard just before it cleared the ground. He started yelling at his significant other to pull the truck forward & drive it out from under the Rolls; instead, she got confused and backed it up, Rolls & all which doubled the tailpipe back under and into the muffler, resonator or whatever they have under there. We busted out laughing and had to stop to see the rest of the show. He finally got it off the truck in a fit of rage & bad judgement but then he was really stuck because it was actually resting on the exhaust system.
Of course, he was storming around giving the woman grief & we felt sorry for her but she was gonna have to learn that lesson sooner or later anyway.

Just Keep Walking