Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 11-04-2014, 06:53 PM
Gadget Girl

Default Ouch, get a handle on that.....

I have to confess, I like coming up with the cute titles for the stuff I am doing.. Usually it takes me only a few minutes to snap pic's but can take me a good solid 1/2hr to think of a good title..

Really this thread (if I was boring) would be called "Making a steel brush handle for butcher block brush"

Makes more sense than Ouch, get a handle on that...

So, I got me some new butcher block brushes.. These are the best scale removers you can find. Pretty widely used now but back in the day they were unheard of.. Not to brag but I was the only person I know of within 100miles that used one, back in the day. Just sayin....

But now it's common place.. Stainless steel platers brushes and a good carbon steel butcher block brush.. Good to go..

I actually bought from 2 different suppliers.. One larger brush with wood handle and then Pferd from another source which are a little smaller and no handles..

The larger ones came with Stainless steel fins and are total crap.. I'll have to return them or used them as grill brushes..

The Pfer'd ones are excellent hardened carbon steel with spring temper.. Can't go wrong with these..

The stock is 3/32x2 about 10" long.. The ends are notched so they can be bent downwards.. The handle part is bent over onto itself and formed hollow.. If you have a large hand you can start with a piece 2.5" wide and just taper it out more..

Not sure if you guys have ever seen on of these shears but if you ever run across one snap it up.. I have several of the regular blacksmith anvil shears and they are terrible to use with one person.. These made by Erie are compound leverage and work wonderfully.. I paid 40.00 for these at a flea market from the girlfriend of the guy running the table..

I saw them and while I was looking them over the guy said " I'm going for coffee keep and eye on the table".. I waited for him to leave and then asked the woman, " how much are these.. she said I don't know." I said hows 40 sound and she was happy, happy , happy.. ME too

they look rough now but had nice blue pain on them and looked almost brand new..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141030_154810.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	119650   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141030_154815.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	119651   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141030_155023.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	119652   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141030_155116.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	119653   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141030_155352.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	119654  

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Auction Addict

Those shears are very cool. Wish I had seen something like that around here at auctions. Maybe this year????

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Elite Member

Nice shears, Jenn. Will keep my eyes out for some. Tinsmiths have a similar setup. They are a pain too for one person.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Gadget Girl

There are a couple for sale on ebay as we speak.. Hard to tell but the ones I have seem to have an 8 on the blade part and the number 8 on the body part as well..

I did a few google searches but only brought up the company existed.. No other info..

If I can remember I'll take pictures of the non compound leverage ones I have.. One set is nearly brand new or I should say it used to be.. Very sharp as well..

I used to try to use these manual ones and they were so hard to use..

The Viking ones really are an improved tool.. They work super easy even with one hand..

If you guys have ever used the regular version.. Usually you have to bang the handle up and down to get it to cut when you only have the one hand.. Really a bugger to use..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.