Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 09-20-2018, 09:13 AM
Elite Member

Default Oxidized Filler Metals

Last weekend my brother attended an auction and bid on a box of unknown miscellaneous shop items. The only reason he bid on it was because he noticed that there was a small hand metal punch by Roper.

Last night he dropped off my $7.00 box of goodies. I was amazed at what was inside this box. 11 partial rolls of Harris 56% silver braze in their original plastic containers. 2 types of Harris Blockade, 9 sticks of Harris Safety-Silv 15% Sil-Phos, 6 tubes of Harris 45% flux coated silver brazing rods (mostly partially used sticks/rods), several partial rolls of Harris Stay-Brite 8 Silver Solder.

Then there is a large plastic bag containing about 1 pound of some brand of 1/32" silver brazing wire. The wire is in pieces measuring from about 4 inches to 15 inches. This wire has turned black from I guess oxidation. Can anyone tell me if it would be feasible to clean this wire up now, or just wait until the time comes when I am thinking about using it. Seeing that I don't know the silver percentage, manufacturer, or other information about this wire, I don't know if I will ever use it.

And lastly, there are 7 or 8 propane cutting tips. These look to be brand new, but probably as old as the hills.

I would appreciate any information about cleaning the brazing wire, or maybe even suggestions about just tossing it since I know very little about it...…….thanks.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Not knowing what it is, I would be careful what I used it on. Maybe clean up one piece and try it out on something that is disposable if ruined. Make a cool tool storage rack, or something to practice with to find out if it is worth keeping.

If keeping, I would probably just clean it when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 09-20-2018, 08:58 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Last weekend my brother attended an auction and bid on a box of unknown miscellaneous shop items. The only reason he bid on it was because he noticed that there was a small hand metal punch by Roper.

Last night he dropped off my $7.00 box of goodies. I was amazed at what was inside this box. 11 partial rolls of Harris 56% silver braze in their original plastic containers. 2 types of Harris Blockade, 9 sticks of Harris Safety-Silv 15% Sil-Phos, 6 tubes of Harris 45% flux coated silver brazing rods (mostly partially used sticks/rods), several partial rolls of Harris Stay-Brite 8 Silver Solder.

Then there is a large plastic bag containing about 1 pound of some brand of 1/32" silver brazing wire. The wire is in pieces measuring from about 4 inches to 15 inches. This wire has turned black from I guess oxidation. Can anyone tell me if it would be feasible to clean this wire up now, or just wait until the time comes when I am thinking about using it. Seeing that I don't know the silver percentage, manufacturer, or other information about this wire, I don't know if I will ever use it.

And lastly, there are 7 or 8 propane cutting tips. These look to be brand new, but probably as old as the hills.

I would appreciate any information about cleaning the brazing wire, or maybe even suggestions about just tossing it since I know very little about it...…….thanks.
What torch brand do the propane cutting tips fit?

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated
Old 09-20-2018, 10:56 PM
Elite Member

Brian......Thanks for the information.

Chris...… Sorry, my bad. I just went out to the shop and took a closer look at the cutting tips. They are for Propylene, and not propane. The tip that I brought in states that is a genuine Victor, with a part # 0333-0268 6-GPP.

I got curious and went back out and brought the rest of them in to get some more information. Looks like I have the following other sizes:

00-GPP
0-GPP
1-GPP
2-GPP
3-GPP
4-GPP

No 5-GPP

Then there are 2 of what I believe to be Rose Bud tips with no brand name on them. One say's HD2 and not for Acetylene, and the other is the same except it is an HD3.

I will have to see if my cousin wants them. If not I may be able to turn then into some sort of art project for scrap copper and brass.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:09 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:

Pat ya got any pic's of the propane tips ??
what would you let them go for?
I Ride For Christ
M.L.L.H.& R.
Support Your Local MC.
Loud Pipes Save Lives

Peace Out!
Old 09-21-2018, 09:35 AM
Elite Member

MetalWolf,

Looks like my cousin is going to take all of the tips. In return, he is going to give me some punches and dies that are missing from the Roper hand punch that was in this box of junk...…….sorry.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:55 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
MetalWolf,

Looks like my cousin is going to take all of the tips. In return, he is going to give me some punches and dies that are missing from the Roper hand punch that was in this box of junk...…….sorry.
No worries Pat...…… was just willing to take em off your hands if no one else needed them got a buddy who uses propane torch not sure why
as in fabrication I see no use but scrapping is another thing all together and that is what id use the propane torch for....

Thanks
I Ride For Christ
M.L.L.H.& R.
Support Your Local MC.
Loud Pipes Save Lives

Peace Out!