Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 02-18-2019, 09:05 PM
Elite Member

Default Old Welder

Going to be clearing my dad's tools out as he passed last September. Someone, here, will know about the Forney machines from around 1950. AC only and has been reliable. Iha ea few spare parts as well.

I'm going to offer it to a friend for $50. Too high? Too low? What's your opinion on these old girls?
Old 02-18-2019, 10:55 PM
Post Fiend

I think $50 for a working arc welder is fair. Unless it is unsafe to use... Pull the cover and look at the windings and such. The leads could be worth more than $50 in scrap, depending on how long they are. And all those copper coils. I've seen scrappers pay far more than an old welder is worth (to me) at auction mainly because they knew the ol' boy was full of copper. PS: I mean "ol' girl"...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 02-18-2019, 10:59 PM
Auction Addict

It is worth a little more than $50 around here, but if it is a friend, so be it.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 02-18-2019, 11:04 PM
The Real Deal

If its a friend I would give it to him, someday you will get a payback, thats how things work around here, 50 bucks won't hardly get out of Mcdonalds these days.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:21 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

I never had anything to do with a Forney that old but I did use some that were from the sixties. They were heavy, solid machines. Nothing fancy but you couldn't kill them either. As has been said, if it's safe it's definitely worth fifty bucks. And yeah, there's almost certainly more than 50 dollars worth of copper in the thing...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 02-19-2019, 08:52 AM

I see lots of old Forney welders at auction sales,most are so beat up and worn its just trash..
yours could hold some sentimental value as it was your Dad's..
FWIW I'd keep it in the back room if it still works,might be kinda neat to lay down some beads with it one day..probably worth no more than $50.
Strands Gear Drive Drill Press, RongFu 3hp Gear Drive Drill
Tannewitz 36" Contour Saw, 16" 5hp Chop Saw
Rockwell 6x48 belt grinder,Grizzly 6x48 belt sander
48" Chicago Box Pan Brake, Hydraulic compact Press Brake
3 forklifts,4 generators,2 IR Air compressors
Not Enough Room
Old 02-19-2019, 12:13 PM
Made From Scratch

The county fairgrounds here has one in the maintenance shop and I don't know the vintage, but its like an old phone switchboard. You have to plug the leads into different holes for different amperages and there is a high and low range for the ground as well. Not all the sockets seem to work anymore but if you can get it to light up it welds amazingly smooth. I used to burn a lot of rod on it. If everything was in working order, I wouldn't turn my nose up at one.

If it goes to a friend, 50 bucks is probably fine, but otherwise I'd try get scrap value or better out of it. Those old welders are heavy and I'd guess they have a lot of copper inside.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:35 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkclimber View Post
I see lots of old Forney welders at auction sales,most are so beat up and worn its just trash..
yours could hold some sentimental value as it was your Dad's..
FWIW I'd keep it in the back room if it still works,might be kinda neat to lay down some beads with it one day..probably worth no more than $50.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
The county fairgrounds here has one in the maintenance shop and I don't know the vintage, but its like an old phone switchboard. You have to plug the leads into different holes for different amperages and there is a high and low range for the ground as well. Not all the sockets seem to work anymore but if you can get it to light up it welds amazingly smooth. I used to burn a lot of rod on it. If everything was in working order, I wouldn't turn my nose up at one.

If it goes to a friend, 50 bucks is probably fine, but otherwise I'd try get scrap value or better out of it. Those old welders are heavy and I'd guess they have a lot of copper inside.
Better yet, my grandpa bought it and it remained on the farm til we left in '77 when it followed us to town. The guy I am hoping to sell to is a good friend who understands sentiment as he lost his dad about two years ago.

Thanks, guys for all your opinions.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:23 AM

My Dad bought a Forney 180 amp on April 29th 1948 , just happened to be the day I was born. Learned to weld with that machine,
we did some trading at one point about 20 years ago and I ended up with it. I still use it on occasion, I don't think Ill ever sell it. will give it to my son ,if he wants it.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:19 AM

Also, around here we would just give it to a friend. Sometime even the wife! John