Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 12-15-2014, 10:05 PM

Default Quantity,25

This time around the order was for 25. #1 The burn outs,from 2 1/2 "T1. #2 clean up and square up. #3 the bolt holes. #4 A replaceable tungsten cap.#5 finished order.
Lee stuck in NYS land of taxes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	December pictures 002.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	120691   Click image for larger version

Name:	December pictures 008.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	120692   Click image for larger version

Name:	December pictures 007.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	120693   Click image for larger version

Name:	December pictures 010.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	120694   Click image for larger version

Name:	December pictures 012.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	120695  

Old 12-15-2014, 10:42 PM
Auction Addict

Wow! How many hours did you spend on the shaper?

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 12-15-2014, 10:59 PM
The Real Deal

Very nice job. What kind of tool bit do you have on the shaper? I can get a small shaper for $200 bucks running with vice but have no room. Its rusting away In a friends shed.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Wow! How many hours did you spend on the shaper?
About 4 hours to clean up and square the front face and back face,then trim to length on one end for all. Contrary to the "expert" opinions a big shaper ,set up properly can be very competitive for some work. These T1 burn outs just eat mill tooling ,where 1 cobalt square bit did the entire job with one touch up after a bad crunchy spot.
Lee just a tax slave on Andys NYS plantation
Old 12-16-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Very nice job. What kind of tool bit do you have on the shaper? I can get a small shaper for $200 bucks running with vice but have no room. Its rusting away In a friends shed.
For burn out clean up my choice is low % cobalt. Make the room they are very useful.
Lee just a tax slave in NYS
Old 12-17-2014, 08:17 AM

I admire your tenacity but I don't believe you'd ever beat a good 45º lead angle carbide insert face mill for the work of squaring up blocks like that.

Call me a Doubting Thomas but I also can't buy that it really took only 4 hours to square up that many blocks in that manner. I suppose it's possible if you have a big vise and ganged up several parts at a time, and only squared a couple of surfaces.

It's a matter of cubic inches per unit of time material removal rate, and it's my not-so-humble opinion that I could cut your time in half with a decent cutter. There must be a reason that no one makes shapers any longer, or certainly very few commercial shops have one, let along use one.

I will NOT argue that the shaper is capable of flatter surfaces under the right conditions, but the arguments I get for using one is that it's "so mesmerizing to watch" and "I can start a cut and go have lunch." Neither of these sentiments square with making money through productivity.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixMan View Post
I admire your tenacity but I don't believe you'd ever beat a good 45º lead angle carbide insert face mill for the work of squaring up blocks like that.

Call me a Doubting Thomas but I also can't buy that it really took only 4 hours to square up that many blocks in that manner. I suppose it's possible if you have a big vise and ganged up several parts at a time, and only squared a couple of surfaces.

It's a matter of cubic inches per unit of time material removal rate, and it's my not-so-humble opinion that I could cut your time in half with a decent cutter. There must be a reason that no one makes shapers any longer, or certainly very few commercial shops have one, let along use one.

I will NOT argue that the shaper is capable of flatter surfaces under the right conditions, but the arguments I get for using one is that it's "so mesmerizing to watch" and "I can start a cut and go have lunch." Neither of these sentiments square with making money through productivity.
Greetings Mr. applications engineer, If you had read the text,only 2 faces squared,and one end trimmed to length. Only one cut on each face .One cut on the end trim. After cut depth setting on one block (photo taken here) the rest were ganged 3 at a time on the face cuts and 4 on the end cuts. The weld relief cuts on the bottom were gang sawed 4 at a time in a shop made fixture.
As to your doubts to time ,I can still tell time even at my advanced age and am not in the habit of lying about anything.Could be that 50 + years of owning and running shapers,slotters and at one time a planer plus lathes ,mills and etc help in getting the most from my antique equipment.
Never said a shaper was used because it was faster. For me it is used on dirty,rusty work,one off repairs and burnouts due to the low tooling costs. The milling machines are used on clean work and we try to keep the grit and mill scale, etc off them .This profitable job is a repeat with the quantity increasing with each order. Still making money with a shaper in spite of internet wisdom to the contrary.
You are making assumptions about something with no knowledge as to speeds ,feeds ,depth of cuts etc used here, so they are just that, assumptions on your part. We were always told that an ASSumption was the north end of a south bound horse.
All that said have a nice day and KMA in Macys window ,will give you an hour to draw a crowd.
Lee doing it all wrong in NYS
Old 12-17-2014, 09:59 PM
Elite Member

Does Madam have dibs on the popcorn concession?

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 12-17-2014, 10:31 PM
One Wonderful Lady!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm W View Post
Does Madam have dibs on the popcorn concession?

Always!!!

Rated M for MAGA
Old 12-17-2014, 10:39 PM
Auction Addict

I was guessing 8-10 hours but ganging them up sure would reduce the time. A shaper for max metal removing on rough stock is still a good choice for me.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson