Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 01-12-2019, 02:30 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Default My Own Kingpin Thread

We just recently had a thread on replacing kingpins...

Here...

...and it got me thinking that it had been quite some time since I had anything to do with kingpins or axles or anything like that. Guess I should have blocked my thoughts or something because yesterday one of our customers called me up and wanted us to take a look at his problem. He has a spindle from a Ford F650 with the kingpin holes wallowed out a bit. The holes need to be bored out, have bushings installed and then be bored to finish size.

These things are quite large; not humungous, I guess, since I've worked on bigger ones but they're definitely larger than pickup spindles. That's a 6" scale in the pic to give some idea of size.

Steering arms had to come off to reduce weight and make for better access. They mount to the spindle in a tapered bore with a key and, let me tell you, they were tight. I discovered that my trusty old Harris rosebud had developed a leak so I couldn't use it; had to settle for a large brazing tip which didn't make nearly as much heat. I didn't get the first one quite hot enough on the first go round and, as you can see, I had to beat on the end of the thread more than I should--mushroomed the end out pretty good and collapsed the hole for the cotter pin. It's all fixable and, because of the nice little spigot they put on the end of the thread to protect them from guys like me, the threads themselves are fine. I took a bit more time and put quite a bit more heat into the second one--had the whole boss on the spindle glowing a nice dull cherry red--and it popped out pretty easy with a couple good sharp raps with a 2 lb. hammer.

That's where I left it last night--gave all the parts time to cool down good--and I'm about to set off to the shop to tackle the next phase.

Sorry about the poor picture quality but my "good" camera is down right now and my cell phone just isn't as good...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190111_123752.PPAC.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	148798   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190111_181022.PPAC.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	148799   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190111_181230.PPAC.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	148800   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190111_123730.PPAC.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	148801  

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 01-12-2019, 11:58 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Well Keith.... not trying too be a smart ass here or anything but better you guys than me doing it especially rite now.... I have my own issues with mine not king pin but steering box issues....
but for sure going to follow your thread any new tricks and tips to make is and when I ever do the next king pins on a ford wont hurt to keep in mind..

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 01-14-2019, 01:53 PM
Lubrication Consultant

How goes it with the king pin work...

Old 01-15-2019, 05:06 AM

Made a little progress today. I thought I might get more time to work on the spindle but I had to help my brother finish off a couple of sump cover lids for another customer. I did manage to get the spindle clamped to the milling machine table and dialed in with the co-ax indicator.

The faces on the top and bottom of the spindle are--as far as I can see--square to the kingpin bore. I set the spindle on a 1-2-3 block on the table, clamped it down and, using the longest probe of the co-ax indicator, I was able to reach down to the bottom bore--which, if you really want to get confused, is the top of the spindle since it is mounted upside down on the table. Picking up the "other" bore--which is not nearly as badly damaged--gives me the best chance of ensuring that when I'm finished the two bores will both be concentric to the kingpin centreline.

The two pics show the spindle on the table and the co-ax indicator when it was zeroed out. I sure do like using that thing--so much easier than a dial test indicator. I'm not even sure if I would have been able to reach down the lower bore with a DTI--there might not be enough room.

I probably would have made a start at boring the first hole but I discovered that the boring bar I needed to use was too short. I'll swing by the suppliers tomorrow morning on the way to the shop and grab another one. I'll have to cut it off but I'll make it about 1-1/2" longer than the one I have to get a better range...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190114_185347.PPAC.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	148825   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190114_185644.PPAC.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	148826  

Old 01-16-2019, 12:49 AM

Well, I got the boring bar this morning; length was 10" so I had to cut it down to about 5-1/2" for what I needed. Yesterday I had indicated the bore so today I could get right down to boring the first hole. Had a lot of trouble with chatter; tried 3 different inserts and a bunch of speeds before I found the sweet spot. I think the problem was the fact that, even though the spindle is a pretty big, heavy forging, the boss I was boring hangs out quite a bit with no support. When I tapped it with a hammer it would ring pretty good.

Anyhow, bored the first side, flipped the spindle over and set up for the second boss. It dialed in really easy with a clean bore as a starting point and boring the hole went a whole lot easier. Now it's on to the sleeves to fill the holes.

I would have started on them this afternoon but I discovered that I didn't have a single piece of 4340 large enough to work. I'll pick some mat. up in the morning and get the sleeves done and installed...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010424.PPAC.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	148870  

Old 01-16-2019, 01:43 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Well, I got the boring bar this morning; length was 10" so I had to cut it down to about 5-1/2" for what I needed. Yesterday I had indicated the bore so today I could get right down to boring the first hole. Had a lot of trouble with chatter; tried 3 different inserts and a bunch of speeds before I found the sweet spot. I think the problem was the fact that, even though the spindle is a pretty big, heavy forging, the boss I was boring hangs out quite a bit with no support. When I tapped it with a hammer it would ring pretty good.

Anyhow, bored the first side, flipped the spindle over and set up for the second boss. It dialed in really easy with a clean bore as a starting point and boring the hole went a whole lot easier. Now it's on to the sleeves to fill the holes.

I would have started on them this afternoon but I discovered that I didn't have a single piece of 4340 large enough to work. I'll pick some mat. up in the morning and get the sleeves done and installed...
By the time your done it will be better than it was form the assembly line
and make the ole ford a bit frisky to go places

Old 01-17-2019, 01:23 AM
Curmudgeon

That is some pretty work, Keith.

Aren't you through with that damned thing yet?

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 01-17-2019, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
...Aren't you through with that damned thing yet?
Yeah, finished it today. It wasn't that the job took so long--just a few hours--but all the other stuff that happened along the way. That's what happens when there's only two old guys in the shop--shit happens. You know; coffee breaks, long lunches, bullshit sessions with old customers--when you get to be my age a guys gotta pace himself.

Picked up the material I needed this morning from Metal Supermarket and turned the two sleeves. The customer was getting a bit anxious and, in my haste to get the job done, I completely forgot to take any pics of that part. It was just pretty basic lathe work anyway. Faced the end, drilled to depth, bored the ID, turned the OD and parted off; repeat once. I left myself with a hard press fit of about .004".

On something more rigid that would be too much but the sleeves only have a wall thickness of about .090" so it worked OK. I did think for a second that I might have made them too tight because they talked to me all the way in. I pushed them in dry; a little loctite on the OD would have made them slide a bit better. With the sleeves pressed in to the knuckle the bore was about .008" - .009" small. That will take a bit of honing to remove but I wanted to make sure there was enough material to allow for any misalignment between the two bores. Remember that I assumed that the two outside faces of the knuckle bores were square to the centreline of the kingpin but I didn't trust them to be dead nuts.

Last phase of the operation will be to hone the sleeves to the right size for the kingpin bushings. Normally kingpin bushings are reamed after being installed in the knuckle but in this case the bushings themselves are nylon (of some sort) no-ream style so the bore of the knuckle has to be exactly the right size, hence the reaming is for both alignment and size. That's an outside job so I won't have anything to do with it but the little video below gives you a pretty good idea of what will happen. There might be a bit more cursing because of the amount of material I left for the tech to remove...

Honing Kingpin Bushings

Edit: For those who like numbers and who might want to how much the press fit was in relation size of the hole the bore was finished at 1.660" and I made the sleeves 1.664" on the OD. Pretty tight for something that small but the thin wall of the sleeve made it possible...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010429.PPAC.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	148897   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010432.PPAC.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	148898   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010435.PPAC.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	148899  

Last edited by LKeithR; 01-17-2019 at 02:59 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:04 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Keith,
In case you are going to make a new career of this king pin work, I have a Sunnen honing machine just like in the video, you may need it for production

I got it because it is capable of removing .0001" at a time for precision fitting, but never use it any more. Want to get rid of it.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 01-17-2019, 09:35 AM
I can dig it

Still have the hone Gerry? Hmmmm.

Nice work Keith.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app