Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 03-28-2018, 03:00 AM

Default Levers for Air button switches on ATTC

On the All Terrain Track Chair (ATTC), i have air bag shocks on the suspension, and air cylinders for track tension, and these need some means of adjusting air pressure.
I implemented some off-the-shelf air switches w/ gauges that were easy to hook up, however, the air switches have tiny buttons, and during the demo to the client, he struggled to activate them. He needed to have a much easier way of pressing on the buttons with his hands that are permanently in a curled position.
I came up with these levers, where each lever activates a pair of switches. 1 switch is for air up, 1 switch is for air release. There are a total of 8 switches that are now activated with 4 levers.

Here's a video that explains the whole thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKMERBzdiIQ

Thanks
Kent
Old 03-28-2018, 09:20 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

That's pretty cool. I'd think with a little refinement you could easily fab a lever arm and do away with the extra hardware involved with the lock nuts and such. Seems over time vibration might could do it's thing and back those screws out to a useless point. I'm sure it works just grand though and certainly a fix for a huge problem.

My dad couldn't use his left hand at all and we were coming up with one-handed fixes for almost 15 years. Yours looks like it'd not only be applicable to the folks with limited dexterity, but also the general public. I'm sure it'd be easier to operate those levers when wearing gloves too. It's also simpler because you don't have to remember which button does what. Push the lever for up, pull for down.

Good job!

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 03-28-2018, 11:50 AM

Hi Dubby,
thanks for the comments! We take for granted how good we have it until working with others that don't have full function.
I plan to use nylock nuts on the final assembly of it, which will lock those screws and prevent vibration from being a problem.
All of the bare steel parts will get zinc coated as well to prevent rust. I have a zinc plating kit from Eastwood company.