Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 04-22-2018, 07:34 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Default Pipe burner

Today I set out to repair(again) the next door auger. I must have missed some duct tape cause it was 20 ft up in the air
The wind started up so I left it to blow itself out and went indoors to form the metal on the pressbrake for a bandaid.
This done, I started dragging out the welding leads and dropped my stinger and stub lead and started finding a spot to hook up ground. I turned around and my stinger was wriggling away like a snake and heading for the tall grass. Hate wind.
I thought there's probably a guy in Wyoming chasing his welding lead all around the yard too, but they think it's normal down there.

I said fuck it, there's better things to do, and went inside the shop.

But the word lead was stuck in my mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02935.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	144603   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02934.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	144604  

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 04-22-2018, 07:58 PM

I have always used my oxy pane torch and rosebud to melt lead for casting and never was fond of the idea. It inflames my cheap gene to use oxy for a 600 degree melt anyway.
So scanning the shop for crap I figured I had what it took to do this.

I got a piece of the little 2.375 well tubing and drilled a 7/8" hole through it for a sliding fit on a 1/2" pipe nipple. I had to go to war with a pipewrench to free up a valve from a mess of fittings. I even had a new endcap.
I had to drill a 1/16" hole in the pipe nipple for a jet, and then slide it into the hole bored across the pipe. I centered the jet hole in the middle of the pipe pointing up, and tacked the pipe in place.

Anyhow, did some fiddling and calculating and bent some 3/16 x 1 FB at an angle for legs and then beat and heated a piece of bar into a circle for the top. I do have a ring roller, but if the wind hasn't already made a gift of it to the neighbors, I am not going out to check.

So I now tacked the mess together and it seemed to be stable enough to hold a frying pan full of 20 lb of lead without tipping over so I welded it up.

At this point the middle of the afternoon the sun has come round to my shop door and the wind is down a little, so I wanted to test it. At 5 psi the burner will idle at a candle flame and roar like an angry politician at full throttle with a foot tall flame.

So I had to melt some lead.

I had some soft lead, I did that first, and then I tackled a pail of wheel weights.
If anything I have too much heat, so I may reduce the pressure to 3psi once I re-melt and flux the stuff to clean it up.
The first soft lead batch I actually saw the lead boil. Lead will emit vapors at boiling temp and yep, I shut the flame down to an idle right quick.

Another learning curve. Sigh.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02938.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	144605   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02937.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	144606   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02936.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	144607   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02940.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	144608   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02939.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	144609  

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson

Last edited by Ironman; 04-22-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:05 PM
Elite Member

Nice. I might have to copy that.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 04-22-2018, 09:22 PM

I forgot to mention that I made the pipe 6" long above the top of the 1/2" pipe, but maybe the length is not that important. I do know that all the tiger torches I have, or seen, the air intake behind the jet is choked about 25% of pipe diameter. So I tried to accomplish that by cross drilling the fuel pipe into the burner pipe. This sort of eyeballs to 25% choke. And it works.

Way hotter than needed for lead, you could probably melt aluminum with the same setup. I think I may be down to 2 psi on the reg when all is said and done.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:37 PM

Any idea what the BHN is on the lead?

http://www.farmersamm.com/
Old 04-22-2018, 10:41 PM
Lord of the Minions

Nice showing Gerry, well done. I melt lead to make ingots as well, but keep them to a size where my electric pro made pot and bottom pour rig can use 4 for at a time to start and add as needed when I take a break. While I do have and use single molds for anything at and above 50 cal, I now have the 3 and 4 pour molds for smaller than 50 reducing the time and as well the work overall.

I do have this setup in a spare BR at the time but use two window fans blowing in from the double West window and a blow your rug off fan exhausting two foot in front of me. This should be moved to a new upcoming structure build connected to the house just for gun work, but I do wear PPE when working with bullets this way.

What are you using for flux?

Just an added from my use of something similar, my go to burner for lead and Al along with having done a little brass(with small success's) I opted to have a bit of larger foot print for the bottom. I used a roller to bend a ring using 1" black pipe with an o.d. of 3' for stability and safeties sake.

I'm no where near as tall as yours either, plus I can remove the grate/grill to allow the sit of a rounded bottom lead pot of worthy size, or changing this and adding something more flat for different type/shape pots.

I have crucibles of different sizes and out of different materials for the melt needs and have a no joke smelter tank with all the niceties including a winch to pick up the melt and pour by a single user. The lid on this thing weighs a good 40 lbs and is allowed to revolve/move out of the way using a 2" ball bearing. I at times use cut bottom ends of gas or O2 tanks for welding of industrial sizes.

I like the idea of dropping a full 3, or 4 cylinder head or a cut in half 6 of aluminum for melting. I'd love to have one that is a bottom pour but as my molding table is lid high, having the winch and jib do all the work safely. The HF winch for this is the same one I quick attach to use on the SA tractor HF bed lifts. I have used the hell out of that winch. Well worth the money spent 10 years ago.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 04-22-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:52 PM

Get the lead too hot, and you start to lose the goodies....like tin I believe.

BHN around 11ish, and you got some real good handgun bullet material there.

Pan lube those babies, and you're in business. Good soft lube, and no leading in the barrel, even at high velocity. I run a 105gr SWC out the spout on the .357 at about 1600fps with no ill effects.

Had some lead with a high antimony percentage, about as hard as nails, and they made a mess of the barrel on the 9mm. I just don't like a hard bullet for a handgun.

I guess rifle is another matter, but I don't cast for rifle loads.

Yeah, I still pan lube Some habits just don't break easy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pan lube.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	144615  

http://www.farmersamm.com/
Old 04-22-2018, 11:13 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
...It inflames my cheap gene...
That is your dominant gene isn't it?

Whatcha gonna do with the lead?

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 04-23-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmersamm View Post
Any idea what the BHN is on the lead?
Somebody over in Castboolits was quoting the stick ons as 7, being about pure lead. Wheel weights air cooled are 9-12, and water quenched are harder.

I want soft lead as I am in the blackpowder subsonic world. Even my .44 powdergun likes plain lead.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
That is your dominant gene isn't it?

Whatcha gonna do with the lead?
Yes.

When I get around tuit, it will be 000 buck, and .357 pellets and bullets. I so far only have a pellet mold.

Quote:
What are you using for flux?
This is a cleanup melt and I don't waste time fluxing it. The next melt I will use sawdust or flour. You want carbon Activated ideally, to absorb some shit like arsenic you might not want, and to consume the oxygen to get rid of the floating oxidation scum.

I have always used borax on other metals like gold or brass and bronze to seal off oxidation, and mixed with flour, consume any oxides, but I am not sure I want to dick around with that in this case.

Last edited by Ironman; 04-23-2018 at 12:51 AM.