Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 10-16-2016, 12:24 PM
Auction Addict

Bars Leak worked well for small leaks years ago.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 10-16-2016, 02:46 PM
Roving Reporter

Looking good Gerry. As well as Bars Leak, I seem to remember mend ground black pepper being used on occasion.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:30 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

The best stuff bar none is sodium silicate or water glass. I have fixed large cracks in engine blocks with it. But in order to work it has to leak enough to get the solution into the crack.
Pepper, oatmeal, and other things I have heard of, but never wanted to try it.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 10-16-2016, 04:50 PM
Blast this!

Had a leak in outside wood furnace . Due to no tig hired a supposed good welder to weld.It kept cracking in other areas . Now what do we do ?
I went on line and somebody had said 6 cans of sweetened condensed milk .
well it is worth a try,nine dollars later on wally's cheapest and 2 years later no leaks .
Old 10-16-2016, 05:57 PM
Elite Member

Nice job on the JD Ironman. Many folks are going to enjoy seeing it.

I doubt many have heard of it but I've had good luck with Irontite. I can get it around here for $10 or $12 a bottle. They make a cracked block product too.

I was told by an old timer years ago people used red lead primer to fix their radiator core leaks.

http://www.irontite.com/aws_vid.html
Old 10-16-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackit View Post
Nice job on the JD Ironman. Many folks are going to enjoy seeing it.

I doubt many have heard of it but I've had good luck with Irontite. I can get it around here for $10 or $12 a bottle. They make a cracked block product too.

I was told by an old timer years ago people used red lead primer to fix their radiator core leaks.

http://www.irontite.com/aws_vid.html
I'll look that up. This is not a core leak, the core looks new. I think it has been frozen, it is a common fallacy among farmers, especially in a warm climate, that water is all you need and just drain it in the fall......until one night you forget....and it freezes.
The lower tank was broken and by the water stains, had been run leaking for a long time. I ground out and welded that one. There were 2 previous brazing's done on cracks. I figure the core had to have burst and was replaced.
I further traced the leak today. There are 2 mounting bolts that draw the rad tank down onto a machined base, and the threads of one bolt are dripping.
These are blind holes AFAIK, but a crack through, or rust through may have happened. One old timer who thought antifreeze was a commie plot told me a rad that was tight would leak with antifreeze in it.
Maybe he was right....damn commies I expect it has a surfactant in it to assist in wetting and breaking surface tension.

Anyway, I carried on with some wiring. Pushing a wet noodle up a wildcats ass with plain old haywire proved impossible. I was trying to put wires into the armored tube where the oil line and temp Borden tube are. So I squirted out 4 ft of welding wire from the machine and used that and it went in slick as can be. I also had the sense to pull another section of welding wire along with the conductors through, in case I want to put in another wire. Guy next door brought me a can of high temp spray paint and so I took off the exhaust and painted it. Filled the trans with oil, stuff like that.

Also being as I never took this thing apart, my dad did, and I stripped it further, I am trying to figure out where some stuff goes. Finally got the tank mount thing figured....half of it mounts in the hood and the other end on a frame bracket.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 10-16-2016, 07:17 PM
Auction Addict

FWI, I always had the best luck draining out all the antifreeze before using stop leak. I think it helps the sealer plug and stick without the antifreeze. Cycle it two or three times from cold to hot with just water and the sealer then drain and refill with your antifreeze solution.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by milomilo; 10-16-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:33 PM
Gadget Girl

Nice job Gerry.

I love it when the old stuff geta new life.. Even if it sits in the shed for the next 30 years it will last just that much longer getting the love you gave..

a Farmer friend of mine did restorations for people on their JD's and I used to swing by and see what he had done..

Your work is just as fine or better than his.. Very nice..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
Nice job Gerry.

I love it when the old stuff geta new life.. Even if it sits in the shed for the next 30 years it will last just that much longer getting the love you gave..

a Farmer friend of mine did restorations for people on their JD's and I used to swing by and see what he had done..

Your work is just as fine or better than his.. Very nice..
Thanks, it was the most difficult thing I ever painted. There are so many different areas and right angles and rods...painting a rod and getting it even is nigh impossible, but I can see it running soon.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:05 PM
The Real Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Thanks, it was the most difficult thing I ever painted. There are so many different areas and right angles and rods...painting a rod and getting it even is nigh impossible, but I can see it running soon.
The paint?