Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 06-13-2018, 01:07 AM
Lord of the Minions

Default Reposing a multi-drum hay cutter

The day I brought the newest older SA to the farm a while back, I made the decision that due to the shape of the drums and other noticed issues, that it was not worth/affordable to rebuild, plus the fact I do not wish to keep a tractor of size to run it.

But, after starting the FEL builds, it was quickly realized that the belly sickle mowers I have would no longer fit where they used to.

So, with the 3pt parts and gear drive boxes on the old drum cutter, I could easily repurpose that assy and add my cutting bars etc to turn it into a rear mount sickle assy.

Of course, another project to start. For my needs I prefer the use of the sickles over a shredder/bush hog or even a finish rear mount mower of 6'. I do grow feed hay, but the fact that I now grow to sell 5 acres of Broom Grass(what I call it, but there are several different grasses to be found in the plot for sale) it is easier to gather up and tie bundles etc. I do not bale this product, but tie in stacks like was done many years ago for thrashing seed stalks.

I've looked at several rear mount sickles but for $300 to $800 bucks for worn out crap which would take another $300 to $400+ to fix, I'll still come out cheaper and have less labor involved by converting.

Work week thinking is all.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 06-13-2018, 01:13 AM
Elite Member

Sounds like a new future project in the works...…..

-----------------------------------------------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-
Old 06-13-2018, 01:39 AM
I can dig it

You don’t have a spare farmall to put the mid mount on instead of a loader?

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 06-13-2018, 09:56 AM
Urban Gunfighter

Whew. I can't keep up with all your projects.

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 06-13-2018, 10:10 AM
Elite Member

Sounds like what you need is a binder. Cuts, bundles and ties the grass you are cutting.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 06-13-2018, 12:58 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
You don’t have a spare farmall to put the mid mount on instead of a loader?
I've got two SA's and a cub running. I'm building, at present, two of the one armed FEL's copying the ones manf'd to fit them back in the day. The plan is to keep one and sell the other.

I will not have plans to remove said FEL at any time as will have the use of the other tractors. Once it's on, it will stay on unless a need for a repair of the tractor or loader demands it.

I have the parts to refurb/morph one belly mount sickle to rear pto mount for ease of attaching and removal as needed on any of the 3 etc. It's damn near a half day job for installing one at the belly mounts. Somewhat of a struggle for an old man these days.

There is a tendency for me to have all attachment equipment for the Farmall's when attaching something is to not have to remove the draw bar and rockshafts etc to do so. It makes for a rather ginger time of planning due to the lack of weight on the front ends of the tractors, but I do have options for adding a bit of weight to the front ends in spots that helps without overtaxing the 'no exterior frame' of the tractors.

I use two aftermarket hangers for CAT 1 quick attach 3pts for all now in use tooling etc and it makes for quick and easy work to change out all for another.

Being blessed with a few other like tractors will allow me to not have to rely on the one with the FEL to have to see much use or wear and tear due to the odd FEL assy over a conventional tractor loader.

I'd like to post the list of projects in the works, but that would just be embarrassing to say the least.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 06-13-2018, 01:15 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Sounds like what you need is a binder. Cuts, bundles and ties the grass you are cutting.
You hit the nail on the head Norm.

I have the beginnings of something that I've had in the works and so far have only gotten to the clumping about 2' in diameter clump of stalk/grass, laying in piles as I cut with the sickle mower.

With the moving the mower to the rear will allow me to more exactly space the clumps to be placed for picking up and tying them to be placed on a trailer. Slow work, but it is easy exercise and healthy doing it as of now.

As these grass's are not cut for seed recovery, it does make it an easier time of gathering. If these Farmalls had hydrostatic drive it would be perfect.

A slow ground speed is important and in 1st these tractors are not what I would say are slow enough. Gearing is not available as I know of for changing or slowing it. I do make use of the smallest rims and tires available and it does help some. But these tires and rims makes for an odd look for the SA's, not so much for the Cub.

There is/are machines that can be attached to cut, gather and clump and tie these type of grass's, but not in my budget as yet.

If I had one, I'd be doing 20 acres over the 1 to 5 acres I do now.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:39 PM
Lord of the Minions

I've got a used 4 head pull behind pto driven corn cutter bought several years ago that was sold as yard art. sigh............

I've only gotten as far as removing all parts that would strip the ears off the unit and separated two of the four heads to allow less stalk bundled at one time etc. Figuring a trailer long over wide to have a conveyor to move said bundles to travel the length of the trailer, stop and tie, stack on the second pull behind trailer and start the cutting all over.

Adding the parts to lay down and separate stalk for binding has been figured/drawn out, but not built as yet.

It's beyond my ability to design a tying operation to happen as the cutting is progressing, but I do have a working assy that will auto/mechanically wrap in two places along the stalk bundle once the bundle is placed in a holder, but I still have to hand tie the bundle as it sits in it's cradle with the string(twine) in tension to start. Hold string, cut one side, hold cut the other side and make a nice square knot on the two wraps.

I move the trailer and tying 3pt system, pickup the bundles, place in the holder, neaten the stack, hit the switch and let the two wrapper arms do their thing, hit the switch, cut and tie and stack the bundle on the second pull behind trailer.

Lots of thought went into using a system like a round bailer (that has been reduced in size to make a 2' diameter bale, but that has not gotten any farther than drawings and sketches, but I do think this would work much faster and would allow cutting one or two rows at a time, cut, roll, tension and tie on the fly, dropping bundles on the ground or put on a trailer with a conveyor.

Even after expenses and doing this cutting and bundling mostly by hand, my take per bundle is right at $18 in profit per. from start to finish. Fuel, tillage, upkeep of the grow, cutting, gathering and boxing for shipping included.

I ship to 12 states etc as of now but would double as my acreage doubles. Hard to believe how many folk like to make brooms etc, craftsmen/women and of course even metal workers ie blacksmiths.

I actually believe there is more profit in growing broom grass's over growing 'the smoking kind'. Well, less hassle anyway.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:50 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Whew. I can't keep up with all your projects.
Hell Chumly, neither can I.

It takes a good two to ten years to finish anything as current conditions allow. Most get pushed back for some new need as currently making what is needed for the House Lifting.

Some get finished when I'm backed against the wall and have to rely on it to do something important. sigh

If not for 3 day weekends, I promise you, nothing would get started much less finished.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:05 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
So, with the 3pt parts and gear drive boxes on the old drum cutter, I could easily repurpose that assy and add my cutting bars etc to turn it into a rear mount sickle assy

I ordered the driven pulley and conrod assembly for a typical rear mount sickle mower which will negate the pitman arm, counter weight and most of the belly mnt sickle head to allow for a more robust use of angles of the blade itself. From 90° up to 55° down for cutting ditch sides etc.

If this were not a need for clipping the hedges in the back, that up angle would not be needed or even useful. The down angle of course for ditch grass/weeds is important.