Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 06-12-2018, 10:29 PM
Post Fiend

Default Milwaukee Organizer

I’ve got growing pains in the shop. At work my shit is straight as an arrow but my home shop looks like Helen Keller did the layout. Trying to do better I bought an organizer at Home Depot for $19.99. I filled it in three minutes.

Ordered three more and filled them tonight with my copilot. I have exactly two more boxes of fasteners that do not have a home. I will order more and get set for future inventory. I’m impressed with these boxes.

If I was a tradesman I’d step up to the next level and get the roll out boxes. Very innovative storage solution and very portable.

Last pic is all the boxes I emptied into one organizer. I have quite a pile of shit after filling four of em.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB3D0212-22F9-4933-A5DD-BDA072EB66F6.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	145517   Click image for larger version

Name:	AE3B9D41-7E80-4102-AB3A-0F3116466ED8.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	145518   Click image for larger version

Name:	651B51CF-DC9A-4BD6-9DFF-B0DF6BBEA382.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	145519   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBA480B6-7FED-4DDB-8652-28829703AA42.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	145520   Click image for larger version

Name:	D6BFD6C7-5139-49B5-A006-4E54ED5DBF52.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	145521  

Old 06-12-2018, 10:39 PM

I've been using the HF boxes for my smalls storage. IMO anything to keep the mess in check is money well spent.

I'm looking at building a shelf unit to slide these boxes in. Should be able to get 8-10 boxes under my workbench. Its on the list of projects.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:40 PM
I can dig it

Default Milwaukee Organizer

For smaller stuff I’ve often been buying the plastic Plano boxes, often find them in the sporting goods area. They’re used a lot for fishing tackle.

The bigger stuff I’ve been using peanut butter (and other) containers. I then have a set of shelves, currently in my storage trailer here at the farm, with those in.

What did the Milwaukee boxes cost? They look like a good size for between the Plano’s and the pb jars.

Edit to add: never mind, retead your post and saw 19.99.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 06-12-2018, 10:44 PM
Made From Scratch

I have 2 of those in the truck with all my fasteners in them. Very handy.

I have also found them handy when doing larger mechanical projects. When I tore my old truck apart and did the injectors, oil cooler, and EGR cooler, I used those boxes to store all the bolts and small parts as I took them off. Each bin was numbered and I kept a list of what went in each one...glow plug controller bolts #3, intake manifold bolts #7 etc. It worked out really well for me.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:56 AM
Lord of the Minions

Diligence is the word for fasteners, ele parts etc, but nails, screws etc get put in qrt jars that have the lids fastened to a 5 sided horizontal roundy round. I do have to get on a step stool to reach it, but it does work and is out of the way.

I've got 45 jars hanging by the lids up there. It might take a moment to get what I need, but I dam sure know where it's at. lol

I can say without fail that if I take something apart, with no need to keep the assy as it, all usable hardware like nuts, washers and bolts are separated and dumped in 'old ham cans of the gallon can size. Empty cans of solvent, thinners etc get cut open on one side to allow access on the shelves under my North work bench. I've got 5 rows of undershelves and a 6th being the floor holding 15 cans each. I've got a wealth of shit to dig through and usually find what will work without the need to hunt a store for the fix.

Now if I could just keep the rest of the shop and garage organized, I'd be worthy of calling myself a doer and not a looker. sigh

Nice organizers, well done.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 06-13-2018, 01:03 AM
Elite Member

I've got 10 of those organizer boxes look almost identical as yours but different brand on them ..Dewalt.. they come in very handy when on the move from job to job bought 4 others just to use the bins in my tool cart set up only for electrical wiring work...… used the boxes for my Makita drills impact set and other tools and lock them together on top of each other by twos and fours helps keep track of some items while in the field....

but the more you get the more crap you seem to accumulate in them too...

-----------------------------------------------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-
Old 06-13-2018, 04:40 AM
Director of Languages

I have a lot of a lighter style with movable dividers in them. used get them in aldi (german discounters believe they're coming to the states) but they dont get them in any more. the problem when you get too many of them is that you stack them and the one you need is always on the bottom of the stack!

when I have spare random hardware I just throw it in a corner of a shelf and when the pile gets too big every year or so I'll pull it out and sort all into the relevant trays.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:14 PM
Elite Member

"Friends don't let friends buy DeWalt". I hate anything tainted by Black & Decker, AKA Bleak & Dorker, Satenly Bleak & Dorker.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:20 PM
Elite Member

Default storage

Since I worked with them long ago, I have a soft spot for "IBM Card" cabinets.
(If you don't know, think industrial grade library card cabinets.)
I now have 2.
One as a tool box and one for small stuff storage.
(I like the more vertical drawer arrangement.)
The trays are just right for 1 QT plastic bottles with one side cut out.

I haunt the auction sites for the cabinets.
They still show up after being re-purposed as index card cabinets.
Surplus index card cabinets will work fine but they are not as robust.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:33 PM
Gold Star Dad

Young one collected about 150 big Stack bins/metal drawers in cabinets from stuff being thrown out at work. We are still disorganized. It will take us years to sort and fill the empties. If ever.

I had one of those "IBM Card" cabinets sort of. Found it on the street next to a court building in NYC, next to China Town. Weighed about 250 pounds. My Dad used it as a wine rack for years.