Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 09-30-2020, 10:55 AM
Elite Member

Way to go Jen!!!!! Looking wonderful. Not going to stay with dirt floor? You go girl!
Old 09-30-2020, 01:41 PM
Blast this!

I had kind of figured dirt for the smithing area .
Old 09-30-2020, 06:30 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkclimber View Post
Jen now that your facility is 'dried in' with the roof on you can take a minute and ponder this..the time is now to run conduits underground inside the facility from your electrical service area to some opposite wall locations,maybe for an air compressor room or subpanel at the opposite end of the facility?

Originally I had thought about running some conduit in the floor for electrical but decided to keep it all above..

If I can figured it out.. I am going to put receiver tubes in the floor though and hook up a vacuum to these so they can be used for fume extraction..

I have a wood chip collector that I will hook up to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonian View Post
Looking good, Jenn. You da man!

Interesting that the insulation system is also a "fall arrestor." Is this to protect the roofers while installing the sheeting?

Nose bleeds and weak knees, BTDT.

Thanks. On many buildings the workers have to be tied in.. So, this system allows for them to walk freely on the framing without being tied in. I was told it is an OSHA requirement on certain buildings.

It is a crazy installation.. Though it does look nice but really not much of it makes sense.. In the instructions it said to run the side wall bands under the tension bands except ever 5th tension band.. It would have looked nicer going over every band. The side bands can't get tensioned nearly as much so sag some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
That is a very nice shop you have. And the pride of building it against all odds.
Thanks. it certainly felt that way on many days. Until it is completely finished it will still offer some angst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lee View Post
Very nice indeed, Jen! Wish I was closer, I'd sign up. Afraid I'm too far away and too gimpy these days.

Dave
Dave, I can relate to gimply.. So it might still be a good experience. thanks

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:37 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
Way to go Jen!!!!! Looking wonderful. Not going to stay with dirt floor? You go girl!
thanks..

No dirt. Years back I had dirt in the shop and while I like the action of it and the ability to move stuff around it was a constant upkeep and the dirt would end up everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
I had kind of figured dirt for the smithing area .
Because it being a school Cement will have to be the standard.

I guess it's because of taking the easy way out. I honestly don't know how to make it less work.

I imagine setting up a cement floor everywhere else and doing a wood butt end floor would be a great way to go.

you have me thinking now.

What is the dangers as for stability in the concrete with only having 2/3rd the floor vs full?

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 09-30-2020, 08:50 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
If I can figured it out.. I am going to put receiver tubes in the floor though and hook up a vacuum to these so they can be used for fume extraction..

I have a wood chip collector that I will hook up to it.
I would have overhead fume extraction. I don't think in-ground is allowed anymore--you should check your code. In-grounds I've seen over the years (auto shops for exhaust) were always full of crap and didn't work well, IMO. Since you're not doing E-conduit in the floor may as well go for smooth with no protrusions.

The school is coming out great! I am excited for you! Will there be an inside classroom/climate-controlled area?

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 10-01-2020, 06:56 PM
Elite Member

Picking at nits, it's not cement, it is concrete.

I would think that a compacted gravel floor using 3/4 minus crushed rock and stone dust would be the cat's meow but you have a point that your structure will be used for teaching.

A foundry casting floor would generally be covered in sand where the melting and pouring are taking place. I assume you don't really have the need to protect the concrete from molten material. How much spalling of concrete have you seen in your travels to other shops?

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:51 PM
I can dig it

Quote:

I would think that a compacted gravel floor using 3/4 minus crushed rock and stone dust would be the cat's meow but you have a point that your structure will be used for teaching.

A foundry casting floor would generally be covered in sand where the melting and pouring are taking place. I assume you don't really have the need to protect the concrete from molten material. How much spalling of concrete have you seen in your travels to other shops?

At our shop, any torch or air arc work near the floor gets a steel plate to stop direct hits. There’s a couple places it was missed and one can easily tell.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
Old 10-20-2020, 06:42 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
I would have overhead fume extraction. I don't think in-ground is allowed anymore--you should check your code. In-grounds I've seen over the years (auto shops for exhaust) were always full of crap and didn't work well, IMO. Since you're not doing E-conduit in the floor may as well go for smooth with no protrusions.

The school is coming out great! I am excited for you! Will there be an inside classroom/climate-controlled area?
I love the idea of overhead.. But it would be more costly and complicated.. the infloor system is pretty cheap and easy to install overall.

If the fume extraction aspect does not work.. It will be turned into a cable feeder conduit.

But, with this said.. I think it will work very well. We will just have to see.

the whole shop will be climate controlled. The R38 ceiling and R27 walls will help with that. I initially won't be doing a cooling unit..

I have to see how it works out and even if the shop can start to generate funds to support itself first before anymore investments other than basic, lights, heat..

Thanks

Quote:

If a casting area is put in it will have the floor lined with bricks in the pour area. Something safe.. Nearly all the foundries I have been into have cement floors with old casting sand on top.. But dig down a few inches and there is concrete.. I know its concrete but just like to tweak the people when I call it cement.

With this said.. What is the difference since I don't remember. ???? I supposed I could not be lazy and do a search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
At our shop, any torch or air arc work near the floor gets a steel plate to stop direct hits. There’s a couple places it was missed and one can easily tell.

I'm hoping this shop won't turn simply into a fabrication shop so ideally there won't be much work of cutting done on the floor with a torch..

But, if that is the case and it happens often enough it will be easy enough to retro a plate to fit the welding ground bars.

photos of the vapor barrier, gozintas and fume extraction piping. as well as wire mesh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201018_141208.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	158098   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201018_181759.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	158099   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201019_080022.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	158100   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201019_093545.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	158101  

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 10-20-2020, 06:49 PM
Gadget Girl

Today the main guy Mark came back and put in the crack grooves.

I also spent the time removing all the covers and opening up the grounding bars/i beams.

So, for future reference..

the threads on the fume extraction pipe.. Put grease on the threads and put the duck tape on.

On the gozintas.. Ideally install them and have the leveled as you put the fill in for compaction.

I had to install them 1 at a time and then raise them to height for floor thickness not being able to add more under them. This unpacked the aggregate so had 1 that twisted and 1 than is no longer plumb.

If done again. .I would weld them onto a common pipe and run the pipe full length..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201020_112318.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	158102   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201020_112403.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	158103  

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old Yesterday, 05:41 AM
Administrator

Looking good. Always nice to have a new floor. Getting excited!

I could be wrong, but the difference between cement and concrete is cement is the binding agent that holds the sand and rocks together in concrete. So you can have cement without concrete, but you can not have concrete without cement.

If you just used cement for the floor, it would not have much strength.

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden