Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Trailers for sale or rent

Default Harbor Freight S%$t list

How about a thread on stuff that you would never buy again from Harbor Freight? I'll start... I bought a 10 piece combo pack of grinding wheels for my 4" grinder. It has a few flap wheels, a few grinding wheels and a couple of cut- off wheels. The flap wheels are so- so, haven't used the cut- off wheels but the grinding wheels are terrible! I burned through two of them cleaning up, not grinding down, about 3' of weld. I was totally amazed how quickly they disappeared. The second thing on my never buy again list is their supposedly carbide wheel grinder wheel dressing tool. Two wheels and the tool was shot. Oh, their cut- off saw wheels aren't that great of a deal. I bought one of their 5 packs on sale, indeterminent quality, for $19 and change. I then found I could buy Blacksmith brand wheels, made in USA, known good quality, at SSS steel here in Houston for $4.75 a pop. Or SAIT wheels, made in USA, unknown quality, for $1.85 a pop, box of 10. I need to find that HF receipt, they're going back!
Old 03-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Dodge City Marshal

Returning inferior products is the only way their accountants can comprehend their directives. I'm also very quick to shove-back Wal(of China)-Marts junk, too.

Quote:
Knock, knock. Anyone home? Anyone there? Barack Obama exists only as the sock puppet of his handlers, of the people who have maneuvered and manufactured this pathetic individual’s life.
http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/...ieve-life.html
Old 03-11-2006, 01:20 AM
Banned

Their ti coated drill bit set for $12 was two mc'd's meals I lost out on. I've sharpened 3 bits and broke three others drilling at low speeds in 1018CR. There's no excuse for it either - I have some cheapy dewalts that cost me the same money about 5 years back that did the same holes without breaking or getting dull right after "trying out" the new set. I even lubed the HF bits - I didn't with the dewalts.

The real gem of the whole situation is some of the HF drills are undersized to begin with.

Save the money. I need to get me some cobalts now that I can spin them slow enough with the new machine.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:39 AM
Curmudgeon

Welp, I had to go back down there today & pick up that little IR thermometer while it was half price @ $39.95.
I have already confirmed that my dogs don't have fever, used it to properly boil 2 eggs for supper & I can
use it to tell when my garbage really, really needs to be carried out to the dumpster.
I also need to pin down a phantom water leak inside a wall in one of the rent houses; I can hear the leak
after running water in the lavatory sink but there are no visible signs - yet.
Hopefully I can avoid cutting any dry holes in the sheetrock.

IR Thermometer

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 03-11-2006, 02:05 AM
set phasers to .50 caliber

I spent $500 there this week because I had a day off.....

In that full cart was the last IR Thermometer they had... Still waiting for a trip to the store for batteries...

I'm hoping it will be accurate enough and have enough resolution to show me hot breakers in a full panel.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:37 AM
Curmudgeon

Mac, mine uses a 9volt; it was already installed.
I think its a safe bet to spot the breaker.

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Old 03-11-2006, 02:53 AM
Lord of the Minions

One thing about buying consumables from a thrift store. Ok 49 things.

Tapes, bits, grinding wheels, cutters etc. beware.

It takes a bit of a knack of knowing what will and what will not work or be of service after the first use from co's like HF.

I do buy some of their larger tools, cause I know that I can alter, fix or improve the quality by adding items as they break.

You sometimes do not get what you pay for, but the reasoning for their selling it is that the ordinary Joe will not know the difference and they make a sell.

I was truley surprised at the life of the bandsaw blades I bought with that big ole green bandsaw from HF. Hell, I've been truely surprised with the bandsaws ability for the money.

Sometimes you make out, sometimes your a customer complaint and a refund.

I have been both. But I still do find that one thing that I cannot leave without buying.

I think it's the thrill of not knowing, living on the edge and all.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 03-11-2006, 04:01 AM
set phasers to .50 caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter
Mac, mine uses a 9volt; it was already installed.
Yep, the battery was in it, sure enough. Didn't expect that. Well, it gives numbers, so I'm trying to think of a way to verify its accuracy... It was only 94 under my tongue, assuming Amy's aim was good...
Old 03-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Curmudgeon

Boil some eggs.

Just Keep Walking

Old 03-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Team DeSade

The magnetic base machine lights that go on sale for $7. Bought 2 and broke the switches in both in under a week.

I definitely wouldn't buy drill its or saw blades there.

Lost a competition because of the horribly poor quality of the batteries in their rechargable drills, but I will say I wasn't using them in the manner intended. OK, not even close to the manner intended.