Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 07-05-2014, 10:21 PM

Default ESAB caddy 200 review

Purchased an Esab Caddy 200 mig several weeks ago. Waited to write this until it had a good work out. As of today we are about half way thru the third 11# spool of .030, 70-s6 with 75/25 so it has had a good amount of varied use. From 22 ga sheet metal thru 3/8 hot roll . Weight is 27 lbs,making it real portable. This was the main reason for the purchase. It welds very nice, so good that it is getting a lot more use than originally intended. Along with the wire speed and voltage it has a variable inductance control and a heat setting. It is an inverter machine. 230 volt only, that is ok by me.Runs flawless
from a generator,have about 1 hr + welding time on the generator. Have not run any flux core yet ,but am told that it will with no problem.
The leads are short at 10 ft,but has been no problem with the small size and light weight. Jury is out on the plastic construction but with a 3 year warranty and a $930 price to the door not much to loose. It was paid for by day three. Only accepts 8inch spools,no small ones. However it comes with a full 11 pounder of esab wire. The flow meter is USA made, with a brass quick coupling on the machine end. However it has that funky kitchen sink sprayer type hose (12') on it that looks cheesy but works. Now to something called Q set or some such. Supposed to be like an auto set. Nick and I tried it, didn't care for it. Thankfully it can be turned off. For my uses it could have been left off the machine and the price knocked down a few $. It has done every thing we asked of it and more.Yes ,will buy another in very short order and set up for stainless with t-mix.
Now the best part. Looked at one locally that said made in China on the bottom. This one is made in POLAND. So therefore it has been named the Polish Prince. Personally I have a lot more faith in the workmanship of the lansmen of eastern Europe than the ones from the lower Yangtze region .
Lee still just a tax slave on Andys NYS plantation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bsa 002.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	116916   Click image for larger version

Name:	bsa 003.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	116917  
Old 07-06-2014, 07:29 AM
Perpetuus Discipulus de Vita

Other than I can clearly see a size and portability difference, what prompted the purchase with a power mig being next to it?

David Finch Mixed Media Creations
My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

"Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn
Old 07-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Anything I've ever had to do with Esab products leads me to believe that they're first class units. From what I've read their offshore stuff is made in factories they control as opposed to being contract built--usually makes a big difference in quality control...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 07-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Elite Member

I have had the caddie 200 for almost 3 years. I happen to like the Q-set, and gas hose.. Run the q-set most -1 on the heat matches my settings pretty close.You let the machine run on the q-set,and it figures out which gas you are running and sets the parameters. I have used lots of different brand wires and sizes. Have different liners. Used it on a few different smaller generators,with very good success. Strong point of the machine..

Biggest improvement was ditching the goofy handle on the Mg gun, and run a MB-15 AK grip one.Changes the angle of the neck to a normal style gun. Since it's a Binzel gun,straight across swap.

As far as quality compared to my new 141i China made Victor.. Both are excellent. Esab, and Victor are going to really be something once Colfax (USA company) sorts it all out..
Old 07-06-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldor2005 View Post
Other than I can clearly see a size and portability difference, what prompted the purchase with a power mig being next to it?
Red is loaded with .045 dual shield and co2,and stays that way . The Polish Prince does the light to medium work with no wire and tip change out several times a day. In our small job -repair shop we often work on several different jobs in the same day,from sheet metal to heavy steel. The PP replaced a 210 MM that was to heavy and bulky to leave the shop. That meant everything out of the shop had to be done with the engine drive and stick or suitcase. Many jobs do not call for the big guns. Ever drag your suitcase and cables thru a hall way and across a diner kitchen for a 20 min repair job? This is where the PP and its stable mate the 161 stick-tig really shine.
Lee still just a tax slave on Andys NYS plantation