Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 05-28-2009, 12:33 AM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52
Default New Esab Multimaster 260

As you may recall, I had some "issues" with my new Migmaster 250+ the other day. If you don't. here it is...http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=17717

The new replacement unit arrived yesterday. I finally got to set it most of the way up and ran a tiny amount of bead as well. Why is it that when I get a new machine, the last thing I get to do is play around with it? Work always gets rough when a new machine rolls in the shop for some reason.

By all accounts, that Plus never ran correctly when I got it. It is very possible the superficial shipping damage wasn't so superficial after all...or the transformer just failed. Either way, the end result was me getting the new 260 from Esab. Warranties are great, aren't they? As time went by, the Plus was becoming increasingly difficult to manage. The spatter was getting worse and the voltage was erratic at times, so I never really got to see how good the Esab MIGs could be.....until tonight! The Plus absolutely refused to run my Pinnacle wire at all. Well, if you liked mega sized BB's all over everything, it ran fine. So, right off the bat tonight, I loaded up some Pinnacle .035 to see if I'd be dancing or not....I was! It was perfect right out of the box and with the door settings to boot. If the Pinnacle is this good, then the Hobart Quantum Arc 6 should be near perfection. There was a tiniest bit of spatter with the Pinnacle, but I'm pretty sure I can tune it out.

I took pics for the class too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0358.JPG
Views:	1223
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	46417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0360.JPG
Views:	798
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	46418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0348.JPG
Views:	704
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	46419   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0347.JPG
Views:	760
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	46420   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0349.JPG
Views:	715
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	46421  

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)
Old 05-28-2009, 12:41 AM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

For giggles before I boxed up the old unit, I took some comparison pics. They are similar...sure wish the Plus had welded like the 260. I liked the black powdercoat on the Plus beter than the galvanized on the 260, but then I guess I got what I paid for, huh? It was free, so I can't complain. Besides, I didn't get it for paint anyway.

Here are the comparison pics of welds. The first weld pic is of the old Plus weld on the left and the new 260 weld on the right. The Plus weld was with QA-6 wire which was as dialed in as it would go. The spatter never did go away like I had hoped it would. Matter of fact, as time went by, it got worse until the day of the fire. That day I had it dialed in better than it ever had been before. Figures, right? The second weld pic was done with the Pinnacle and just a tad more voltage than the DC said. I can live with that result, but this unit has tons of adjustment and it will probably do even better with some tinkering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0351.JPG
Views:	2201
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	46422   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0352.JPG
Views:	619
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	46423   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0353.JPG
Views:	900
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	46424   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0354.JPG
Views:	930
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	46425   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0357.JPG
Views:	822
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	46426  

Old 05-28-2009, 07:18 AM
Lord of the Minions

Thumbs up

Great write up Don.

Wow, I'll agree with the service your getting from those guys, hard to beat. Timely and pushing hard for your satisfaction.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:09 AM
That HURT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Wow, I'll agree with the service your getting from those guys, hard to beat.

+1

Good luck with the new machine Don.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Sultan of Scrounge

Default Nice lookin mig

I have never used an ESAB...how do they stack up price wise against the Miller 250 ?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:38 AM
Sultan of Scrounge

Default Doh

I didnt look at the picture too well...chalk that up to my vision being 20/50 after the retina surgeries. That is a MIG, TIG. stick machine I believe..hence the name multimaster and the two bottles. Nice looking rig...

Last edited by tnmike; 05-28-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

DDA52,

Please give us some details of how you tune.

"but this unit has tons of adjustment and it will probably do even better with some tinkering."

and
"There was a tiniest bit of spatter with the Pinnacle, but I'm pretty sure I can tune it out. "

I could use some help in this area.

Like where do you start, what to look for, what sounds to listen for.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Great write up Don.

Wow, I'll agree with the service your getting from those guys, hard to beat. Timely and pushing hard for your satisfaction.
Thanks, LW. I must agree, Esab bent over backwards to make me happy. They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee now...and they did indeed live up to it. Hopefully this will be the last time I ever deal with them. But if I have to again, I won't be worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmike View Post
I have never used an ESAB...how do they stack up price wise against the Miller 250 ?
Migmaster 250/275 was always 2-400 or a little more LESS than the Miller 250's. This unit is about 2600 base and 3500 as I got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmike View Post
I didnt look at the picture too well...chalk that up to my vision being 20/50 after the retina surgeries. That is a MIG, TIG. stick machine I believe..hence the name multimaster and the two bottles. Nice looking rig...
Yup, MIG, TIG and stick. I am going to play with all features very soon. The only thing it lacks is AC output and HF. That would make it the ultimate machine, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
DDA52,

Please give us some details of how you tune.

"but this unit has tons of adjustment and it will probably do even better with some tinkering."

and
"There was a tiniest bit of spatter with the Pinnacle, but I'm pretty sure I can tune it out. "

I could use some help in this area.

Like where do you start, what to look for, what sounds to listen for.
Well, with this unit, the inductance is infinitely variable. So, lots of adjustment room there. And since the voltage and wire speed are infinitely adjustable, I can tinker with either in small increments to see how it affects weld quality, spatter level, etc. I added a half volt to make the second weld pic and increased the stickout a fraction. That dropped the spatter a little more and increased the smoothness of the arc. I would adjust the WS just a tad either direction from there to see if it gets better. I was thinking it needed just a touch more speed...that is where I'd start. We've all seen what perfect welds look like. That is the ultimate result. So, you set the machine off the chart and adjust in small increments up or down, voltage and WS to make the welds look like they should. With a tapped machine, the WS would be about the only thing you can adjust to tune the weld to perfection.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Boiler God

Don,

Nice looking machine, hope it works out for you. I haven't seen any new ESAB welders locally, I see a lot of used older units. None of the dealers up here stock any ESAB equipment, and if you ask about them, they steer you to either Lincoln or Miller. The last mig I bought was the MM350P, and I'm very very happy with it, but locally the only choice I had, was the Lincoln PM 350 or the Miller, and with Miller the choice was either a MM350 or a MM350P. I wish the selections on display here in the area I'm in was a little wider.

jack
Old 05-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Thanks, Jack. No one around here stocks them here either. Well, maybe two smaller shops I never hang around or even been to. There is very, very little Esab support here.

I never let my LWS tell me what machine to get. I tell them or I am down the road. I am the one that uses them and knows what I want...they just know what they want to sell. If they knew that much about using them, they would not be selling them, they'd be using them. Those that can, do...those that can't, sell.