Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 05-19-2007, 09:07 PM

Default cutter inspired

i had some free time on my hands,yeh right,anyway i needed a few tractor attachments,and her what i ended up with,hf truck crane mounted so it will go in reciever hitch and reciever hitch both bota orange

Last edited by hench861; 03-02-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:51 AM

Cool I like it. Good job, nice paint too.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:02 AM
One Wonderful Lady!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realitycheck3907
Cool I like it. Good job, nice paint too.
That part was not inspired by Cutter.

Rated M for MAGA
Old 05-20-2007, 10:27 AM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by hench861
i had some free time on my hands,yeh right,anyway i needed a few tractor attachments,and her what i ended up with,hf truck crane mounted so it will go in receiver hitch and receiver hitch both bota orange
You might want to think about an addition for the crane, an outrigger 'foot' of some sort that can be put down when needed will take a lot of strain off the suspension. (Of course, it also depends a lot on how much you are lifting with it!!)

Eventually I'd like to add one of these to my flatbed, but Princess Auto doesn't seem to sell these hoists as of yet (at least I haven't seen them). Seems silly to 're-invent' the wheel for the price that they sell for though. Maybe they'll show up here sometime.

Mark
Old 05-20-2007, 10:36 AM
The Right Stuff

Send a message via AIM to tigman250 Send a message via MSN to tigman250

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd
You might want to think about an addition for the crane, an outrigger 'foot' of some sort that can be put down when needed will take a lot of strain off the suspension. (Of course, it also depends a lot on how much you are lifting with it!!)
if you are loading it to haul it won't the suspention be taking the strain anyhow?

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin!
Old 05-20-2007, 11:44 AM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigman250
if you are loading it to haul it won't the suspention be taking the strain anyhow?
That would depend on the vehicle, and the load. My 3/4 ton or 1 ton hitches are both rated for 1000 lb tongue weight, but remember, that's at the hitch, not 3-4 feet behind it. The hoist is rated at 1000 lbs (showing on the hoist in the pic.)

Been a while since I looked at hitch ratings on half tons, but I'm guessing most are in the range of 6-8000 lbs, which would put tongue weight at 6-800 lbs. (And I wonder if I'm being a little generous.) To be able to use the hoist to max on a truck this size I would suggest an outrigger for sure to take some of the load. Also, if you are picking something up behind the vehicle, and swiveling it to lower onto the bed, there can be a lot of weight placed on one side of the vehicle, which could cause a problem.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:58 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

I have tinkered with the notion of installing one of those on my little utility trailer from time to time but
the concerns your raising have stopped me every time, Mark. I built the trailer to be lightweight so I could
move it around by hand & that worked ok for the most part. The downside is it doesn't have a lot of counterweight
factor in any direction.
Now Hench can get by with a lot more than I can 'cause he's his own counterweight.

By the way, Hench can you show some pictures of that picker installed & in use?

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 05-20-2007, 02:32 PM

Default boom

im basically using it like a boom pole so it wont lift much i just use it to move attachments around in my building,i do have pancake weights on the front so it will lift my 5 ft snowblower 485 pounds,.yeh and i do have a large weight in the seat area,whats a curmudeon??,no it not cutter inspired you have to get off the tractor to make it work but its the thought :evil:
Old 05-20-2007, 07:52 PM
More STEAM!!

When I was taking my surface grinder apart I was using my friends pickup with a hoist mounted on the drivers side of the bed to lift off the head of the grinder. The grinder head weighted some where around 5 or 600 pounds.

We did not have an out rigger under the hoist and when the head came loose from the grinder base it started to swing out away from the truck. As it swung out the pickup bed tilted and the hoist swung faster.

The dang thing got me traped between some other stuff that was laying on the ground. At the time I was just recovering from a broken hip and this thing dam near gave me another one.

So the whole point of this is, please put an outrigger under the hoist. Some things can be a whole lot heaver than you might think.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Da Chief

"Curmudgeon" next matriculation from Elite Curmudgeon, I think it happens around 5000 posts... RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?