Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 02-02-2019, 12:11 AM
Elite Member

Default To grease or not?

Doing a tune up on a Granite gantry cutting saw. Am cleaning the tracks and gear racks from years of grease and granite dust. As I am cleaning the old dirty grease out, I am wondering if I really should put grease back on the gears. My thinking is telling me that when the granite dust lands on top of the gears, the grease will hold it and wear out the gears faster, or allow it yourself build up and create problems with filling up the track.

Would it be better to not not to grease the gears, and then hopefully the dust will be able to be blown out regularly. Of course, this is counting on regular maintenance being done, but since that is my part time job, I figure I should keep up on it.

After I get everything cleaned up, then I have to adjust the gantry to make sure it is moving and cutting Square, and the rotating table is level and locking properly.

I also think I should adjust the gear down a little bit too.

Any comments or suggestions.

There is a lot of water used in this shop, so I probably need to put something on the gears to keep them from rusting, but what would work that would keep granite dust from sticking to it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7874.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	149145Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7876.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	149146Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7875.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	149147Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7873.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	149148Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7877.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	149149

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 02-02-2019, 01:17 AM
Curmudgeon

If a light spray lubricant is adequate then you should get good results from Fluid Film. It is lanolin-based rather than being petroleum-based, does not attract dust and is highly resistant to corrosion.

As an example, I used to carry graphite to use on residential door locks because around this area the dust & sand in the wind will glop right onto any kind of wet lubricant (WD-40, et all). I had to be really careful with graphite because it's a mess to clean of it you get it in carpet or even vinyl flooring.
Once Fluid Film came along I tried it and it worked better and was less messy than powdered graphite. I had one outdoor padlock on my shop gate that locked up from the blowsand 4 or 5 years ago. One squirt freed it up & I'm still using it.

I'd bet that it's worth a shot.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 02-02-2019, 09:57 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
If a light spray lubricant is adequate then you should get good results from Fluid Film. It is lanolin-based rather than being petroleum-based, does not attract dust and is highly resistant to corrosion.

As an example, I used to carry graphite to use on residential door locks because around this area the dust & sand in the wind will glop right onto any kind of wet lubricant (WD-40, et all). I had to be really careful with graphite because it's a mess to clean of it you get it in carpet or even vinyl flooring.
Once Fluid Film came along I tried it and it worked better and was less messy than powdered graphite. I had one outdoor padlock on my shop gate that locked up from the blowsand 4 or 5 years ago. One squirt freed it up & I'm still using it.

I'd bet that it's worth a shot.
That blow sand sucks! I've had to cut so many locks off my gates because of it...
Where can the fluid film be normal or commonly bought, Parts stores or hardware stores... I haven't seen any on shelves while looking for lubricants
Sounds like it will work well here especially my locks for the gates... eh and I'm sure I can find other uses for it too...

"Sticks And Stones May Break My Bones.... But Whips An Chains Excite Me"

"The best revenge is to be unlike your enemy"
Marcus Aurelius, "Meditation"
Old 02-02-2019, 10:02 AM
Made From Scratch

Remington makes a dry lube meant for carry pistols. It's teflon based, and sprays on wet and drys into a kind of a very light wax. You can usually find it at wal mart pretty cheap and I've had pretty good luck with it but have mainly used it on guns.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:30 AM
Post Fiend

Brian I would contact the manufacturer and see what they recommend. The abrasive grease/dust mix does not sound correct.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:44 AM
Master Procrastinator

Cat recommends a dry dry lube for road grader tables. It allows you to blow sand & grit off without removing the lube. Works for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cat dry lube.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	149166  

Pray like everything depends on God, and work like everything depends on you.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:15 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
Brian I would contact the manufacturer and see what they recommend. The abrasive grease/dust mix does not sound correct.
+1
One of the gears , either the rack or pinion should be soft (not hardened) and meant to be sacrificial.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 02-06-2019, 01:56 AM
Elite Member

Probably going to go with shades suggestions of marine grade. Have not finished all cleaning yet. Got side tracked on other saw again. After another 10 hours of adjusting and making test cuts, I have it with in .030” on the diagonal again.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:00 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Probably going to go with shades suggestions of marine grade. Have not finished all cleaning yet. Got side tracked on other saw again. After another 10 hours of adjusting and making test cuts, I have it with in .030” on the diagonal again.

Do you use any coolant (metalworking fluid) etc. in the water or just plain tap water?

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 02-07-2019, 10:17 AM
Elite Member

Just tap water I believe. This is the granite beam saw I am talking about here . For some reason it started cutting out of square more than the tolerance I had it within 9 months ago.

Name:	IMG_4776.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	149276
This pic is the small saw I am working on. I can’t find a pic of the big one that I just worked on.