Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 12-23-2011, 09:16 PM
7-26-1965 to 6-5-2022

Default Anybody have experience with HF compressor units?

Lookin at a HF 67698 compressor unit to replace the POS oilless compressor unit on my Sears 60 gallon compressor. Went out to the garage today, flipped the switch and it went through its normal cycle. Went on to the second and bbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaapppppppppp. After pulling it apart, another broken connecting rod. This is at least the third if not the fourth that has broken. Although this one was the record. It is the first time it broke in three pieces.. I HATE this thing!!! At $45 a pop for the goofy crappy rod/piston, I'm tired of sinking money into a design that should be banished to a dark corner of a chinese prison. I am not worried about adapting the motor/mount setup for it. I have read good and bad reviews about them and wanted to know what you guys think. If they turn out to be a flaming pile of crap, I will have to look in another direction. Like finding a good used unit close enough that I wouldn't really have to deal with shipping. Thoughts???
Old 12-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Lord of the Minions

A few folk from work tried them and a few models from Sears, scrapped them and bought Lowes, Home Depot and one from Graingers.

The beast from Graingers set him back about 4 large and I'm sure every time it cycles it dims the lights in my apt across town. He needed the powere for the one rivet gun, nut runner, impact and the 5 tires on his truck.

I'm thinking that one would be better off with a CH rather than Sears, but it's probably the same re-badged examples anyway.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-24-2011, 12:21 AM
Armchair Webbie

I don't know if they still are but, the Craftsman compressor I bought back in the 80's, was made by DeVilbiss. There's a metal tag welded on the tank, that says so. It's a 5hp with 30 gallon tank- oil type and I've run the snot out of it on my blast cabinet. No compaints.

Dave
Old 12-24-2011, 08:22 AM
7-26-1965 to 6-5-2022

This one is made by Dvelbiss also, made in the late 90's. I figured that since it was one of the black professional series it would have been of better quality. This thing has sheet metal cylinders and investment cast aluminum or some kind of pot metal 1 piece rods/pistons. And this thing is NOISY!!
Old 12-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Sultan of Scrounge

Dont buy any oilless compressor
Old 12-24-2011, 12:01 PM
7-26-1965 to 6-5-2022

Don't worry, Mike. I have learned my lesson. This will never happen again. I don't care if I have to put on a 60 year old half worn out compressor unit on this tank. At least I know then that when I hit the switch, I will get air, and get it quieter.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Boiler God

Greg,

Your talking about replacing the oilless pump assembly, for the HF twin cylinder pump assembly?? Horizontal or vertical unit?? Most of the vertical oilless units I've seen have little room for a pump and motor. Do you have the 5 HP to drive it?? I know a couple of people who have bought pumps from HF, and they are still working.

http://www.harborfreight.com/145-psi...ump-67698.html
Old 12-24-2011, 02:52 PM
7-26-1965 to 6-5-2022

Jack, it is a vertical tank unit. The motor is 6.5 HP, so no problem there. I know there is precious room up top. The good thing is that it has the welded platform that I can use as a base to mount the new motor/compressor arrangement. Thoughts on that came from a post here I believe (Digr maybe?) for a mount/adjuster using electrical track. Mount that on a flat plate that I bolt to original plate and we should be good to go after also making a belt guard and such. I don't have any issue about re piping or space around the compressor. For that matter, if it truly came down to it, the compressor package could even be remotely mounted.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:05 PM
SFT Historian

"The motor is 6.5 HP"

Whats the Amp rating and RPM of the motor ??
Old 12-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
"The motor is 6.5 HP"

Whats the Amp rating and RPM of the motor ??
Maybe it a "air compressor" special rated motor