Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 07-03-2005, 02:04 AM

Angry rant, or plea for help.

hi all. been lurking for some time, and finally decided to post. i just put my harbor freight vert/horz band saw together, and the first few cuts were great. now the blade just pops off. the tracking is good. i tried to adust all the bearings but that got me nowhere. no matter what little adjustment i made the blade would just come off. any one else had this issue, and how did you remedy it? i am at my wits end with this saw. thanks.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:15 AM
Yes girls, he's single!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlrs_27m
hi all. been lurking for some time, and finally decided to post. i just put my harbor freight vert/horz band saw together, and the first few cuts were great. now the blade just pops off. the tracking is good. i tried to adust all the bearings but that got me nowhere. no matter what little adjustment i made the blade would just come off. any one else had this issue, and how did you remedy it? i am at my wits end with this saw. thanks.
My first guess is that you are wrong about it tracking correctly.
Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and shouting WOW...what a ride
Old 07-03-2005, 03:11 AM
Elite Member

I would make sure the blade is positioned on the wheels properly, then make sure that the blade is as tight as you can get it, and then some. When I first got mine I tore up the original blade fairly fast because I never tightened it properly. Without going out to look at mine I believe one of the wheels that the blade rides on is a little convex where the blade rides on it. The other wheel at the other end has a small ridge at the back of it that the belt has to be right up tight to.

Just yesterday I made a new stand for mine, and tossed those flimsy sheet metal legs. Now the only thing I need to find a cure for is the cheap handle that operates the vise/work holder. I keep tightening that hex key on the crank handle but eventually it slips and has worn a groove on that cheap chineese all thread it is fastened to. Anybody have a good fix for this???
Old 07-03-2005, 06:08 AM
Dodge City Marshal

Welcome mirs.

My Clarke has a 'set screw' that adjusts the rotation angle of the free wheeling tire. It is located on the outside/topside and adjacent to the tire's spindle keeper. Adjusting is simple. Loosen the keeper a little (this creates slop) and turn the set screw clockwise. This has the net effect of tilting the tire because you're tilting the spindle. The goal is to add just enough tilt to keep the band on the tire.

Quote:
Knock, knock. Anyone home? Anyone there? Barack Obama exists only as the sock puppet of his handlers, of the people who have maneuvered and manufactured this pathetic individual’s life.
http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/...ieve-life.html
Old 07-03-2005, 06:17 AM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 7018

If all else fails that it back and get another one!!!!
Old 07-03-2005, 07:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to banzaitoyota

HHHMMMMMMM, get rid of the POS CHI-COM blade, buy a good bi-metal blade and start over
Old 07-03-2005, 07:35 AM
Urban Gunfighter

is this the blade that came on it? if so, toss it and buy a good one. that is the best place to start... after that, a little tuning and you should be good to go. I have one of these saws, and use the hell out of it with great results.

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 07-03-2005, 07:41 AM

I only made a few cuts with the original blade that came with my saw and it was wore out. If you have some missing teeth on your blade it is going to be hard to keep it on.

Mine is not a harbor Freight but still basically the same saw. I have found that the owners manual with mine lacks a lot to be desired. Especially on the parts about the blade guide adjustments.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-footn
My first guess is that you are wrong about it tracking correctly.
Yes.
The adjustment mechanism is not explained well, and can be a pain in the ***.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:47 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to storts
Default Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7018
If all else fails that it back and get another one!!!!
Paul, I Hope your not catching Jack typing,,kinda like lyme desise,,it goes around,,but theres a new ani-typestbiotic pill to cute,,waiting for mine,,Must be with that speak and type! Jack