Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 01-16-2019, 05:47 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumly2071 View Post
Not that I am advocating to buy the chinesiums, but hearing some feedback from the LWS that they are seeing a lot of DOA from the big red and blue suspects lately. One specific instance was a customer buying 11 of the same machines, and 4 of the 11 wouldn't power up.
I hope their slipping is not a long term trend.
Same here, was in a local shop that tried both blue and red, 300 amp inverters.

Had to buy 5 to keep 4 on the floor, one was always in the shop.

Their in house maint got pretty good at some major repairs as well.
Front panel connectors burn out, fans, diodes, etc.

Things that never needed fixed much before inverters.

I suggested they try Arcon next time.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:55 AM
Elite Member

Really some of the smaller migs/multi process China stuff is excellent. Just comparing them heads up to the older USA stuff... Half the money and about twice as good. I find the little Klutch units to be a extremely good power supply..I have one China made welding machine and it's a Klutch MP-140si.. Had a spool-gun for it already, so figured might as well put a package together with the Klutch cart I had.. I also had one klutch plasma cutter, and 4 of their welders.. Never lost one dime on any of them. Set up two friends with little auto body learning packages and traded a 220si multi process machine for my old Esab 160 caddie Mig I use to own.. So my machines are two USA Lincoln feeders, run off of my Japan Thermal-arc, Esab Caddie Mig 160i from Poland, Esab Caddie Tig 2200 AC/DC from Sweden, Thermal-arc PeeWee 85S from Japan, Thermal Dynamics 38XL from USA, and Thermal Dynamics 60i from Mexico.. I really don't really care where they are built, just make it reliable, and weld/cut excellent.. I have nothing against somebody building a better mouse trap, no matter where it's built.I just like the rest of the world to be able to get in the game too.. I am guessing India is coming on strong with all the new HF stuff out of there..

The latest Lincoln Mid range machine. sure looks like they have upped their game.. Powermig 260 is a quality unit. You look at it and you think inverter,,but it's all old school transformer in the power supply part..(Heavy)

Last edited by Scott V; 01-17-2019 at 05:01 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:28 AM

At home I have an AHP 200. At work I have an Aspect 350 or 375. Both do the same thing, but the AHP is easier to set up and use. I hate having to scroll though a menu to change a setting when a knob will do.

Last edited by arcflash; 01-19-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:57 AM

For what it's worth, I own 2 Everlast machines. One low end 160stl and a 210dx. (Well the 210dx was stolen about 6 weeks ago). I also own a squarewave 200. I would take the 210dx over the square wave. No questions asked. Both my 210mp and sw200 have been in for repair, neither one of the Everlast machines have needed anything besides a blowout. Red and blue are made in China too. Both Everlast and ahp are name brand machines in today's market and are in many shops, especially the ahp.

That being said also the pedal and consumables are crap. Scc pedal from Amazon, ck20 and cooler and your ready to work

Sent from my LGL84VL using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Everlast 160stl
Powerkraft 300

2 Loose Screws Fabrication
Owner
Old 01-24-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
Same here, was in a local shop that tried both blue and red, 300 amp inverters.

Had to buy 5 to keep 4 on the floor, one was always in the shop.

Their in house maint got pretty good at some major repairs as well.
Front panel connectors burn out, fans, diodes, etc.

Things that never needed fixed much before inverters.

I suggested they try Arcon next time.
Or Fronius if you are looking at pulsed MIG. The last place I worked did all food grade SS work and we went Fronius and never looked back. Still used Miller Dynasty TIG welders (each station had one of each) for the tig work.

It's funny the place I work now is a lot dirtier (RR recon) and my observation is we have less problems with the xmt 450's than the 650 amp deltawelds. Granted the deltawelds are in places doing a lot of air arc.

Don
Old 01-24-2019, 08:16 PM

Where do you buy Fronius ?

Your LWS stock them ?

How are they holding up ?

Can your LWS bring one in to replace a broken one in 24 hours ?

IIRC the Deltawelds should be a transformer machine, should hold
up well to abuse.

The new inverters ? I have yet to see any replace an old Lincoln tm-650
stick machine for air arc.

I am seeing Lincoln 650 inverters being used, but have no shop feedback
as of yet.

PowCon used to make a 600 amp stick inverter, but since they have reorganized
as Arc on, only show 350 amp machines. As they are SCR machines, not IGBT
They hold up better to abuse (or so they claim, have yet to get first hand experience)
Old 01-25-2019, 09:01 PM

Fronius. Bought them from our LWS.

They had had them for at least 5 years and had not had any issues with any of them. Their techs were helpful in developing programs to run SS MIG without tri-gas mixtures. They had some of the models in stock, but I don't think they ever had the ones we had in stock. We looked into buying some of their stale stock and they were not the correct model.

We had a very different experience with the Lincoln power supplies and air arc. But they definitely were not TM 650's.
I'll check what the model was. We ended up shipping them all to another plant that didn't do any air arc work. They are having great luck with them there.

I should say that the Delta Weld's generally die from neglect. The guys are supposed to be blowing out their machines periodically and some of them don't.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:57 PM

Until the inverters came along, every xformer welder got an air filter adapted to
it.

Maint keeps it on a big roll, slices off what they need for each machine, stuff's
it on the frame when ever its discolored.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:40 PM
Blast this!

If Pilebuck was around or answered email he had one so the years of service would tell .
Old 01-27-2019, 08:31 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
PowCon used to make a 600 amp stick inverter, but since they have reorganized
as Arc on, only show 350 amp machines. As they are SCR machines, not IGBT
They hold up better to abuse (or so they claim, have yet to get first hand experience)
My experience with inverters has been flawless.
I bought my 400 amp Thermal Arc machine in 1997. It has been used by every metal butcher I have hired when I was working, and still air arc's and welds beautifully. It has caused zero problems or failures. I admit I blew it clean once.

My Hypertherm 1250 is another example of a bulletproof inverter. I would suspect that inverter fails are the result of inadequate cooling and underspec'd IGBT units.
Got to squeeze that dollar til it screams.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott