Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 02-11-2018, 11:01 PM

Default Maxtron or XMT?

Backstory:
I bought a Maxtron 450 on an action several years ago and stored it in a buddies shed because I didn't have a shop at the time to speak of. I verified it worked as a stick welder and it was parked. I didn't have a wire feeder with the deal so I was looking for a wire feeder. Fast forward several years and I found an ok deal on a working 60m series feeder. Recent research says that there were more feeders compatible with the Maxtron but the only one called out in the manual was the 60m.

Fast forward I picked it up at my buddies and tore the covers off to get a cord hooked up to it and low and behold the mice had made a nice nest right on top of the mainboard of the unit. We are talking several years of mouse piss and shit and the leads on the components are corroded. I'm not going to risk burning it up at this point.

So this leads me to the current situation. I want to get the new (to me) feeder setup going since I already have gotten a gun and feed rollers and etc . My choices currently are a Maxtron 450 locally or an XMT 350 cc/cv off of ebay. The XMT is newer but twice the money.

What is everyone's opinion?
Thanks,

Don S
Old 02-12-2018, 01:50 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Can you not send it in to get it fixed ? or look around for a used replacement board. not sure if cost is feasible but could be... over buying another machine....

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 02-12-2018, 07:51 AM

I'm sure it's possible to get it fixed. The conformal coating was compromised. After I vacuumed up the nest and loose debris, the board looked like it had been buried in the back corner of a cattle shed. All the components were packed with manure.

Galco lists a $995 price to refurbish. But they also say they will give you a quote so I suppose it could be lower. If you just replaced all of the corroded components you may have 50-100 pieces to replace.

I can buy an inspected Maxtron power supply for less than that shipped to my door. The XMT is about twice that currently on the bay. There is a local Maxtron on CL that has a basic feeder for not much more than the ones on EB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180212_064055[1].jpg
Views:	120
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	143471   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180212_064024[1].jpg
Views:	120
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	143472   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180212_064041[1].jpg
Views:	106
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	143473  
Old 02-12-2018, 10:32 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

At this point, I would turn it on and let'er rip. If it works you only have to worry about it failing. If it fails, well you were right.

In general most welders are able to run with a lot of metallic dust and crap in them. I try to remember to blow mine clean now and then.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 02-12-2018, 10:35 AM
Lubrication Consultant

well if you already looked in to repairing it, it sounds to me you know looking for another machine instead is the more feasible
as for which one to go with i cant answer that but i would think i would go with what I know or decide on which one is an upgrade

Old 02-12-2018, 12:28 PM
SFT Historian

Without scrubbing it down with a tooth brush it is hard to say.

I would NOT power it up from what I see.
If the board fails it is a very good chance that it will take out the IGBT transistors mounted on a heat-sink some where $$$.

you blow the IGBT's and they may in turn blow a new replacement board.
catch-22.

at the least the IGBT's maybe good for spare parts if you buy the same welder.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:37 PM

Gwiz has the same concerns as I do. I'm guessing dried mouse piss may be somewhat conductive and the conformal coating is coming off. There is evidence of corrosion all over the board. I think I have a parts machine at this point.

Everything downstairs looks ok.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:41 AM
Standard of Excellence

Personally I would pressure wash it off and try it. The worst that could happen is that you brick it. If you are already looking for a new welder because of this ones condition, then it is essentially pre bricked, so no loss if it fails.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:39 PM

Walker you make a good point. Time to break out the denatured alcohol, distilled water and baking soda. Any other suggestions? What to use for conformal coating if it actually works?

If I burn it up I'm either spending 1K on another Maxtron or 2k on an XMT 350.

On a side note , the feeder controls I have are set up for Maxtrons (both 14 and 17 pin connections) so I would need to do some soldering and make a cable to work the the 14 pin only XMT.

Thanks,

Don
Old 02-14-2018, 04:56 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Cheap DG Urethane spray from a dollar general store will work you might want to remove the board and clean behind it as well....
Plain ole "white vinegar" and distilled water will clean it with a soft to medium tooth brush then use some electronics spray for final cleaning it will displace all other moisture hidden behind small components

Vinegar will also get rid of the rodent urine smell or the musty odder of it too.... it also makes for a good grease and grime cleaner an can be mixed with water to strength levels just as you would other harsher chemical like a cleaner called "Awesome" if you have ever used that stuff....you would mix vinegar just the same.

From the looks of it you will prolly need to remove the board to properly clean it....
when removing the board as it looks like a lot of rust behind it that needs cleaning also.... there should be four screws holding it down an at least one corner screw maybe two of that board is usually a ground source and caution in removing the screws as to not tear or brake the contact point on the board.....

An yes I have had to do this to a few machines here and there an if the machine is savable it is a method I've used that has worked for me.

If you can find the schematic of that board for that machine it should tell you if the board is grounded by one of the mounting screws.
most all i have come across were. only a couple were not.

Randall.......