Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 02-15-2019, 02:21 PM
Elite Member

Moe, my first MIG was the original transformer version of the MM211; auto set worked fine, but was a bit too warm for me on thinner (under 1/8"), but I learned to just turn the "thickness" knob down between sizes a bit.

There were a few things I didn't like about it; was NOT strong enough drive to take a longer that 10' gun, PITA to swap between mig gun and spool gun, bit too heavy to be called "portable", etc...

Sold it to a friend (less picky than me ) when I found a basically new (had run about 4# of wire) MM252/double running gear/3 tanks/NEVER USED 30A spool gun for less than the bare machine costs...

Got tired of having to move ALL projects to the machine, instead of vice-versa (most of the areas I have to work in are still gravel floored, some are a couple hundred feet apart)

So I bought the new digital version of the MM211 (yours) and built an "all terrain" cart for it

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...-build-20.html

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...d-dscn3208-jpg

Sorry for the external links, I can barely log onto SFT after the computer crash, much less find anything...

That cart's probably more than any SANE person would wanna build, but I had my reasons - it can be pushed around on any smooth floor, towed with anything with a 2" ball hitch, tilted back and pushed/pulled like a big wheel hand truck, and has a lifting eye that's adjustable 4 ways to keep it relatively level while lifting - the "cage" is intentionally tall enough so it protects the gauges, and has solid lockdowns for welder AND tank (no floppy chains)

Confession - I did NOT build the cart with the new MM211; I didn't have enough hood time with it at the time and was used to the MM252. Still don't; too many OTHER projects/alligators to take the time for enough scrap welds to dial ME into the machine's "happy spots".

Plus side - the newer version seems to have covered nearly ALL the complaints I had with the transformer version - less than half the weight, stronger (15' gun capable) drive, 'WAY more versatile Autoset, more compact...

My only complaint is that they won't let you "trade up" the torch to a 15', you gotta buy the machine with a 10' - if you hate short torches, you gotta buy the longer one EXTRA. In my case, that 10' torch is probably gonna still be NIB when they "pat me in the face with a shovel".

Anyway, enjoy - and don't forget to swap polarity for the flux core stuff... Steve
Old 02-15-2019, 02:49 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BukitCase View Post
...My only complaint is that they won't let you "trade up" the torch to a 15', you gotta buy the machine with a 10' - if you hate short torches, you gotta buy the longer one EXTRA. In my case, that 10' torch is probably gonna still be NIB when they "pat me in the face with a shovel"...
Made me chuckle. As part of our move to downsize and retire my brother and I have been going through all the shit we've had stored away (some of it for many years). I think so far we're up to about three original short guns still brand new in the box... I'll bet some of them you can't even buy parts for any more...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 02-15-2019, 08:23 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Made me chuckle. As part of our move to downsize and retire my brother and I have been going through all the shit we've had stored away (some of it for many years). I think so far we're up to about three original short guns still brand new in the box... I'll bet some of them you can't even buy parts for any more...
yep, IMO 10' Torch is useless and makes you work even harder moving the machine or workpiece more than either need to. the extra 5' makes a lot of difference in work performance

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 02-16-2019, 12:16 PM
Voice of Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by BukitCase View Post
Moe, my first MIG was the original transformer version of the MM211; auto set worked fine, but was a bit too warm for me on thinner (under 1/8"), but I learned to just turn the "thickness" knob down between sizes a bit.

There were a few things I didn't like about it; was NOT strong enough drive to take a longer that 10' gun, PITA to swap between mig gun and spool gun, bit too heavy to be called "portable", etc...

Sold it to a friend (less picky than me ) when I found a basically new (had run about 4# of wire) MM252/double running gear/3 tanks/NEVER USED 30A spool gun for less than the bare machine costs...

Got tired of having to move ALL projects to the machine, instead of vice-versa (most of the areas I have to work in are still gravel floored, some are a couple hundred feet apart)

So I bought the new digital version of the MM211 (yours) and built an "all terrain" cart for it

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...-build-20.html

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...d-dscn3208-jpg

Sorry for the external links, I can barely log onto SFT after the computer crash, much less find anything...

That cart's probably more than any SANE person would wanna build, but I had my reasons - it can be pushed around on any smooth floor, towed with anything with a 2" ball hitch, tilted back and pushed/pulled like a big wheel hand truck, and has a lifting eye that's adjustable 4 ways to keep it relatively level while lifting - the "cage" is intentionally tall enough so it protects the gauges, and has solid lockdowns for welder AND tank (no floppy chains)

Confession - I did NOT build the cart with the new MM211; I didn't have enough hood time with it at the time and was used to the MM252. Still don't; too many OTHER projects/alligators to take the time for enough scrap welds to dial ME into the machine's "happy spots".

Plus side - the newer version seems to have covered nearly ALL the complaints I had with the transformer version - less than half the weight, stronger (15' gun capable) drive, 'WAY more versatile Autoset, more compact...

My only complaint is that they won't let you "trade up" the torch to a 15', you gotta buy the machine with a 10' - if you hate short torches, you gotta buy the longer one EXTRA. In my case, that 10' torch is probably gonna still be NIB when they "pat me in the face with a shovel".

Anyway, enjoy - and don't forget to swap polarity for the flux core stuff... Steve

Mine is here and I have just set it up..The looks of it are impressive and the weight is manageable..A 10 ft whip is OK for what I do..Does your machine like flux core?

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 02-16-2019, 01:45 PM
Elite Member

"Does your machine like flux core?"

Dunno yet (if ever) - I've had my 250 amp ac/dc stick maching since 1973, but only got into OTHER toys a couple years before I retired in 2012 - one of those toys is this

https://www.everlastgenerators.com/p...wer-i-tig-200t

That little jewel runs stick so sweet I see no reason to futz around with swapping wire, messing with wind screens, etc - plus if you're just doing stick, the machine itself only weighs 20 pounds - in fact, it came with a shoulder strap

So far, all my (relatively short time) MIG welding's been with .035 wire ('bout 150 pounds of it so far), C25 gas and either sheltered from wind or done on a quiet day - I got addicted to just hitting welds with an air chisel to knock off a few bb's, then a 4000 rpm drill and wire brush, then paint.

Seen no reason to change that mindset so far - I'm a "set and forget" kinda guy, which is why my woodshop has multiples of most power tools - set up ONCE for a particular project; cabinet doors get one router table set up for stiles, another for rails, and the third one for raised panels.

Anyway, if you make sure polarity's right for flux core, the newer autoset has a setting just for flux core so it should work fine - I read somewhere that Miller had chosen auto settings based on fillet welds, so when you do practice runs you may need to turn DOWN the "thickness" knob rather than UP - that's about it for my incredibly UN-helpful, long-winded contribution ...Steve