Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 02-14-2019, 10:24 AM
Voice of Experience

Default MIG wire

Has anyone tried the harbor freight vulcan brand of MIG wire? The price makes it tempting...

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 02-14-2019, 11:25 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe1942 View Post
Has anyone tried the harbor freight vulcan brand of MIG wire? The price makes it tempting...
Spend your money on the wire that your use to if it is an important job or project. if not important well it's not bad but it's not great either.

I have burned through some of it. I had picked up some spools that were returned didn't pay anything for them manager gave them to me for free to test run as he has had several ppl. returning them.

my guess is the people who returned them were dumb, to begin with as they return label said bad wire no flux umm they bought MIG wire instead of flux core and have an old cheap 90amp HF flux only machine...

now its ok if you not intending on super nice looking welds as it seems a bit erratic, but it does weld fair and seems to hold well I just could never get a sweet bead run from it but then I am also using the Vulcan 220 pro so kind of odd it didn't burn well in that machine... but we all know different brands run burn different from machine to machine

But it seems to work fairly well in their Titanium machine I guess due to the fine tune adjust so that helps it out in that machine. kind of wondering what a good wire will do in it. but my brother won't foot the note on a good wire for his Titanium HF machine and I haven't bought the one I want yet...

So on your question, it's a Yes and no but is your call if you will be saving money or just project or repair work where flawless beauty welds is of no importance.

I Have Only One Wish To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 02-14-2019, 02:45 PM
Elite Member

For $0.25 more a pound, I'd rather weld ONCE and know it's good
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-...8676/100595296

I f'n HATE grinding, much less RE-grinding, tryin' to figure out if crappy welds are me, machine, gas, wire, etc - never have that problem with L56.

Gotta shop around tho, last 3 12.5# spools I got at Zoro for what HD sells it, incl. free shipping. Now Zoro wants $20 MORE per spool. My LWS wants more per pound for the 44# spools than HD wants for the 12.5#, and it's kinda hard for my MM211 to fit the 12" spools my MM252 can use. This way I only stock one size, which is fine since I don't do production volume welding anyway.

Just my take; if wasted time/frustration isn't worth more than a quarter an hour to you, go for it... Steve
Old 02-14-2019, 07:06 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Don't get me wrong the wire is not that bad. It just is not the choice wire id use for a job... I didn't have to do any grinding because of it. If I had to grind it was more likely my screw up, to begin with...

I noticed it is just not real consistent from the spool to spool and in one of the spools towards the more than middle it seemed to weld different and I had flatter welds...

but like I was saying if its just repair or project work its good enough to get the stuff done but if it is super important for a paying job I go with what your use too... because the cost is not much different and what are you really saving.

I Have Only One Wish To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 02-15-2019, 09:39 AM
Voice of Experience

Thanks y'all...

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 02-16-2019, 12:37 AM
Standard of Excellence

Anymore I only buy Lincoln L56. It has eliminated any issues with wire.