Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 07-10-2019, 08:14 PM
Elite Member

Default Fluid Film or paint?

Going to put new wood deck on my trailer. Been due for couple years now. I already have the wood, used 2x12s from a building I tore down couple years ago. Last wood I put on I got probably 10 years out of, and was rough sawn soft maple from trees I cut on my own property.

I have several couple cross braces rusted out, that I had added into the trailer after my dad and I bought it in 1994, and had an accident with it damaging the tongue. Not sure if I am going to replace or just take them out. Trailer weighs in about 2500 lbs, so a little less weight might not be a bad thing.

I am under a deadline to get the wood deck back on, ( within 2 weeks in time for daughters wedding, which I will be using trailer to haul table and chairs to the event, (yes, I like to procrastinate til last minute)

I was planning on just putting the new wood on and maybe just spraying some paint on the trailer just to make it look a little better for the day. I have a cabinet full of mistinted automotive paint, that I was just going to mix up a five gallon Pail and whatever the color comes out too, is it. I don’t want to do the proper job of sandblasting and such.

My question is, if I was to just spray the underside of the trailer with fluid film over the rusty metal, would that be worth it to help the trailer last another 20 years? Or will that just help trap whatever moisture that may be in the metal and cause it to rust out faster? I know this has happened before when I just paint something without really doing a proper job and getting everything sealed with paint, or painting without using a primer first.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1131.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	151466Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1134.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	151467Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1133.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	151468Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1135.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	151469Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1138.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	151470

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 07-10-2019, 10:37 PM
Auction Addict

If you are not going to sandblast I would use fluid film. It will harden over time and not trap water.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 07-11-2019, 07:01 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

As milo pointed out, paint dries, and will hold water.

And FF will not.

However, based on the bad condition you describe of the steel, I would
rather throw less money at it.

I would try crude oil if you can get it (I drive down to pithole to get mine)
Next would be used motor oil.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:40 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Neither.

Remove the loose rust and dirt and apply this product.

https://www.amazon.com/Transtar-4423...s%2C338&sr=8-1

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 07-12-2019, 01:58 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Why not just high pressure wash it and then just use "Ospho" You can't go wrong with Ospho for rust proofing for long term protection... Use only brand name Ospho the dilutable garbage sold at home depot and lowes is garbage...

You can find it by the gallon cheaper than this... I think Amazon is a bit high priced for that small bottle I get it by the gallon for about 20 to 30 bucks. you can treat that trailer with a gallon easy and should still have a little leftover... use one of those cheap pump up sprayers from the Dollar general for insecticides for like 6 bucks... job done in 30 to 45 minuets

https://www.amazon.com/Ospho-605-Met...64357921&psc=1

I have a metal table I treated with Ospho sits outside and has been for 10 years and still, rust up with nothing more... then a tiny spot or two where I didn't treat it good enough...

You can paint right over it if you so choose too, Or just leave it, soak it with a good wet coating and let it sit till it blackens... and it's good to go...

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!

Last edited by MetalWolf; 07-12-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:54 PM

In all honesty, I have bought the name brand Ospho from a metal shop and the generic brand of it from Lowes. Used them both and so far can not tell the different results from either. Sprayed the generic from Lowes on my tin roof and it did the trick. The tin roof was sprayed with it over 15 years ago and it does not have and never got another rust spot on it since then. I am thinking it is not so much garbage or too bad. Have also used it on many other projects with the same effect. The generic performed as well as the name brand in my opinion. Thats my story and I am sticking to it. Just a hint, add a touch of water to which ever you are using and it adds to its rust killing, rust preventative properties. Do not over pay for the real thing when the generic is just as good if not better at a lower price! YMMV!

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E
Old 07-12-2019, 03:02 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronut View Post
In all honesty, I have bought the name brand Ospho from a metal shop and the generic brand of it from Lowes. Used them both and so far can not tell the different results from either. Sprayed the generic from Lowes on my tin roof and it did the trick. The tin roof was sprayed with it over 15 years ago and it does not have and never got another rust spot on it since then. I am thinking it is not so much garbage or too bad. Have also used it on many other projects with the same effect. The generic performed as well as the name brand in my opinion. Thats my story and I am sticking to it. Just a hint, add a touch of water to which ever you are using and it adds to its rust killing, rust preventative properties. Do not over pay for the real thing when the generic is just as good if not better at a lower price! YMMV!
I am referring to that garbage that is concentrated you mix 50/50 with water never does anything but cause rust to happen... they might now carry another brand of generic and are some out there but chemically the same and priced as such... Ospho is just the brand I swear by and has never let me down.

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 07-12-2019, 03:19 PM
Blast this!

If someone was not going to get to finish when I had the shop it would get a converter shot on ,preferred was OSFO or if price was right phosphoric acid with dilute .Several real thin jobs I would recommend just a converter .
Old 07-12-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
I am referring to that garbage that is concentrated you mix 50/50 with water never does anything but cause rust to happen... they might now carry another brand of generic and are some out there but chemically the same and priced as such... Ospho is just the brand I swear by and has never let me down.
Concentrated is pure strength generic ospho. If people are mixing it 50/50 with water, then that is where the issue is. Only a cup of water at most is needed to mix into a gallon of it. Anymore and that is where the problems occur. Lowes is still selling the same brand of it that I bought over 15 years ago and it still works as good today as it did back then. I am sticking with it as I refuse to pay more for a brand name product that I can pay less for a generic product for a lesser price but does the same thing as the over rated over priced product.

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E
Old 07-12-2019, 08:03 PM
Auction Addict

Brian, so what did you decide to do?

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson