Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 05-22-2019, 01:41 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Default Fan clutch tool Has anyone used or own one and have you bought from this place

I run into stubborn fan clutches quite often and I have most all the fan clutch tools one would think ya need in different style sets including the largest master set...

But I came across this one and want to just jump and buy it but figure I better ask the helpful crowd here.

First of all, has anyone ever bought from this place and has any dislikes or praises about them or their service. the price here is literally half the cost of anywhere else.

Second... Does anyone have one of these fan clutch removal tools/kits
and does it work well or as well as the videos show.

https://www.kortee.com/index.php?mai...9dkajper8pbd33

Sorry, Rod/Cutter. I meant to put this in buying and selling please move it if you would unless you feel it is better left here.

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!

Last edited by MetalWolf; 05-22-2019 at 02:33 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:57 AM
Elite Member

Link is not bringing up the tool. Just an empty cart page. I have never heard of the site before, so no experience here.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 05-22-2019, 07:50 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Odd I don't know what happened to that link I even saved it to my PC and now comes up the same way odd well here is the Amazon link to it but the other was half the price but looks like it might have been one of those too good to be true deals with that place so I'll stick to the one from Amazon still has to be worth the price

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-43300-P...39940947&psc=1

Old 05-22-2019, 11:29 AM
Elite Member

Screen shots to help people see the item, without having to go to the link.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0590.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	150849Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0588.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	150850Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0589.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	150851

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 05-22-2019, 11:30 AM
Post Fiend

For $115 I'd have to need it pretty bad. Maybe HF has something more reasonable? Maddox brand? I can't remember the last time I needed to remove a fan clutch as most of my stuff is transverse.

I DID pick up a belt tensioner kit for drive belts for $18 from HF. Same kit in the auto part stores was $30.

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 05-22-2019, 02:53 PM
Standard of Excellence

I have always used a big wrench or a big crescent wrench and a hammer.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:21 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Some of them you can easily get the holder and wrench on to it and some the clients tried to DIY it and just tightened the crap out of it because they knew not the right direction to break it...

And I get quite a few to change for one reason or another lately its been ford and dodge because, their AC, quit working due to bad fan clutch. and the fan clutch will not engage the fan speeds... a lot of ford power strokes and Dodge Cummins AC runs through the fan electric clutch... serviced four in the last six weeks.

So for me buying one of these tools just makes sense and makes things one-handed operation just that much easier. It will pay for its self in the first job used on.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:03 PM
Post Fiend

Lisle are good tools and that’s a decent price for what you get.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:19 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
Lisle are good tools and that’s a decent price for what you get.
I'm sure you are familiar with the situation of fan clutches and some people that DIY who shouldn't have a hammer let alone touch their own vehicles or anyone else for that matter

If they are successful in getting one off then they hammer the crap out of it putting it back on... and this tool will be very useful and I thought the price was well worth it... and I do enough replacement of electric fan clutches to warrant the purchase of one but I have the master fan clutch kit as well so yeah I'll prolly only resort to it when and where absolutely needed...

Most fam clutches installed my mechanics are generally easy to remove...but there are some that are just stubborn and that's where this particular tool is super useful...

I recently ran into two situations where the customers had major AC work done by specialty AC shops new system installed the AC worked but not as it should it would cool only while driving or cool while sitting and then not cool while driving...
And you would think that an AC shop would know to check the fan clutch on some of these vehicles because the Fan clutch has more to do with not just engine cooling but the AC system as well...

One was just the fan clutch relay and the other one was the clutch it's self and to a huge shocker to them after spending 2300 bucks on a new AC system it was only a 21 dollar part or a 300 dollar part...

I mean I know I'm a tool whore and just like to buy tools for the most part but I do buy the tools I need to make the job easier and do it right or ones needed to do the diagnostics needing to be done...

I like OTC and the Lisle tools the ones I am learning to stay away from are some of the OEM brands not that some aren't good tools but the other for the price are far better...

Lately, I have been buying one off tools off eBay like the LS spring compressor made by guys in their home machine shops have all turned out to be exceptional tools. I also buy from those guys because not that I can't make them my self, Because I have the equipment to make my own but its more time factor, it's hard to stop and make a tool to work on someone's vehicle when I have to have it ready in a certain timeline...

Plus I do try to support the little guy as much as I can.
because it supports me as well as being the little guy and in time not having to make it my self and put a few bucks into a fellow little guys pocket it just seems to be the right thing to do. he's trying to make a living by making a good quality tool and I'm just trying to make it by using the tools...

Old 05-23-2019, 04:32 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I have always used a big wrench or a big crescent wrench and a hammer.
Yep, I see where that has been done a lot as well it's ok if you know what you're doing but there are too many DIY who shouldn't even own a hammer let alone work on their own stuff... Some fan clutches you just can not get a crescent wrench or large wrench on... and that is where the proper tool comes in to play...

I think the biggest issue is a lot of people doing it for the first time don't realize they are directional and not every, one will be a lefty loosey righty tighty
situation. and then beat the hell out of them trying to get it loose but have just tightened the living crap out of it and beat the nut to crap to boot.