Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 09-08-2020, 12:48 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
I'm excited to see how that a/c does in there. I've been looking at them, and watching out for deals but haven't come across anything that I'm brave enough to try yet. I hear good things though.
I don't know about Texas, but Lowes has an end of year or end of season clearance on window AC units about this time. Won't be too long before the snow flies.

OH, wait a minute, I'm in Tucson. It'll be a while before any snow flies. It's still 90F at 11:00 pm.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:20 AM
Twice the size--half the man

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonian View Post
I don't know about Texas, but Lowes has an end of year or end of season clearance on window AC units about this time. Won't be too long before the snow flies.

OH, wait a minute, I'm in Tucson. It'll be a while before any snow flies. It's still 90F at 11:00 pm.
We're expecting a cold front overnight, and the bastards are even listing it as having a chance of flurries/ice in the upper Texas panhandle. It won't reach us but the temperature is forecast to drop from the high 80s & 90s down to the low 40s, with windchills in the mid-30s. I suspect it's because I was contemplating if I had any canvas to make a cover for the new window unit we had to purchase earlier in the summer. It's the biggest bitch we could find, so I'm not taking it out.

The day that I purchased it, the salesman suggested I look at the mini-splits instead. Had it not been for the rushed nature of my purchase I might have been better off with one. The high temp was slated to be 113° and we suspected the motor locked on the main house unit. The wife hadn't been out of the house more than a handful of times all summer and was already overheating at 8am when we woke up to find it broken. All this was on a Sunday, with the likelihood of finding a technician was pretty slim.

So, I used the biggest part of our stimulus money to throw in a 15k window unit to save her life. Then a friend of a friend showed up without warning 4 hours later and swapped out the capacitor in the main unit and we were off to the races. House has been pretty nice all season since then, and the electric bills never broke $400 as usually occurs in July/August. I guess it's sorta a win.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 09-09-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
It's good to see Wilson.

Nice work on the shop.
Yeah, Wilson's adjusted pretty well to life with us.

Thanks It's coming along slowly. Been working 6 days a week so haven't had much time to work on it. It'll get there eventually.

Sent from my SM-N960U using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 09-09-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
Your shop is coming along nicely! So Wilson is with you now? Do you take him to the little park your dad used to take him to?
Yes. Wilson used to stay with us when dad would be in the hospital so he was used to being here and around our dogs. Only made sense for him to live with us after dad passed. I took him back to that park once but he seemed very confused about why we didn't "go home" when we left. Decided it was probably best not to do that anymore. We've taken lots of walks around here and we have a park a couple blocks away so we just do that instead.

Old 09-09-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
Well happy Belated birthday.. We have the same birthday, day.. Just 1 year apart..

I now know 2 people besides myself who share July 16th as a day of birth..
Thanks . I've known some on the 14th and 18th but I think your the first 16th for me. Lol

Old 09-09-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
I'm excited to see how that a/c does in there. I've been looking at them, and watching out for deals but haven't come across anything that I'm brave enough to try yet. I hear good things though.
For what I wanted it seemed like the logical choice. And it fit the budget... kind of. Lol

I looked at doing a standard system where you would have to vacuum out the lines and such since they are few hundred cheaper and I felt confident enough to do it but the difference in the warranty is what sold me to do this one. They all come with the compressor pre charged but this one the line set and air handler come pre vacuumed with valves that open when you connect the lines. The standard mini split warranty was 1 year compressor 2 years parts. On the DIY one its 7 years compressor and 5 years parts. Big difference. Probably could have saved $500 doing the other one but I wanted the longer warranty.

Haven't finished installing it yet, still need to pour the pad for the compressor and wire it. Once it's up and running I'll holler at you and you can come check it out.

Old 09-09-2020, 03:54 PM
Twice the size--half the man

Quote:
Originally Posted by srat110 View Post
Yes. Wilson used to stay with us when dad would be in the hospital so he was used to being here and around our dogs. Only made sense for him to live with us after dad passed. I took him back to that park once but he seemed very confused about why we didn't "go home" when we left. Decided it was probably best not to do that anymore. We've taken lots of walks around here and we have a park a couple blocks away so we just do that instead.

I know how he feels .

Drove from a buddy's house on 93rd over to Camping World the other afternoon, and swung by the park and then by "home" towards the access road. It's still there.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 09-13-2020, 03:47 PM

Pouring the slab for the ac compressor..... good times. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_143256.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	157652Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_154413.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	157653

Old 09-16-2020, 06:55 PM

Got the ac hooked up and wired in today. Shop is currently at a cool 71° after about 2 hours. Still need to wrap some lines and route the drain hose but so far I'm a happy camper.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200916_184828.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	157701Click image for larger version

Name:	20200916_184940.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	157702Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200916-185013_MRCOOL%20SmartHVAC.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	157703