Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 10-12-2018, 09:51 AM

Called Powermatic and spoke to someone this a.m., who said there should be two wave washers, one under each bearing.

"So should I add one to the other side?"
"If there's room, yes, I would."

Old 10-12-2018, 10:40 AM
The Real Deal

Sounds like a plan
Old 10-13-2018, 10:54 PM
Elite Member

In my "opinion" FWIW the blade end of the arbor should not move with thermal expansion so there should NOT be any provision for that bearing to move. All movement should be at the pulley end so that is only location for a "wavy washer" .
...lew...
Old 10-14-2018, 06:26 AM

Thanks, Lew.

Just to update the crew, I decided I didn't want to wait a month for another wave washer to arrive from ebay China, so I put in new bearings and re-assembled it the way I found it (after all, it worked fine that way for 20 years), with the wave washer underneath the bearing on the motor end of the arbor. (Even though the owner's manual shows it under the bearing on the blade side.)

Everything seems good and tight with no backlash anywhere that I can feel, and the bearings sound good with no noise. Spent half a day yesterday putting everything back together (cast iron wings, fence rails, motor, etc) and then the switch gave me fits (it's one of those switches with the big STOP paddle/lever and about 18 things need to line up and be attached for it to work) before I walked away from it.

Should have the switch straight this morning, then start it up, then set about re-aligning the blade to be parallel to the miter gauge slot...which should go a lot easier now, since I also added a PALS alignment jig.

Thanks again for the replies and help.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:06 AM

Update: Everything is back up to 100% again. The PALS alignment jig definitely made alignment much less of a nightmare, transforming an all-day job (that you might not get satisfactory even after fighting with it for an entire day -- it's very hit-or-miss using the crude, conventional method) into a one-hour job.

Time to cut some wood!
Attached Files
File Type: mov table saw.mov (3.12 MB, 43 views)

Last edited by Wolfram; 10-15-2018 at 08:18 AM.