Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 04-08-2018, 12:45 PM
The Real Deal

My well is 60 feet and my pump is about 28 years old Do we think that I should replace?
Old 04-08-2018, 12:54 PM
I can dig it

Always had wells everywhere I’ve lived. Fortunately they’ve all been shallow wells, so 20-30’ of pipe and a foot valve is about the worst I’ve had to pull.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 04-08-2018, 01:01 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
My well is 60 feet and my pump is about 28 years old Do we think that I should replace?

No, just fill a dozen milk jugs with water and store them away for emergencies.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:08 PM
Standard of Excellence

This is the cap on my well, it just sits on top and is apparently held down by the weight of the string. I can lever the string up, but can't pull it up by hand. Unfortunately it appears to be steel pipe. What that means is that the well guy is coming Monday and a buck a foot to pull it is a screaming deal!

I did a week bit more investigative work this morning on the pump. I disconnected the outlet pipe and applied 230vac directly to the pump. With my hand on the outlet I could feel machinery moving, but no water. I added water to the top of the casing for a while and tried again, still no luck. So I am still thinking the pump, or outlet piping is bad, and that the well isn't dry. It may be wishful thinking, but I won't know for sure until the cap is off and the well can be sounded.Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0481.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	144357

Sent from my [device_name] using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 04-08-2018, 01:09 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
The latest and greatest stuff out there is the tankless system where the pump rotates to give you only what you require. So filling a cup at the kitchen sink means the pump may rotate 10 times and shut off. That is the most expensive.

I have two pumps, one at the bottom of the well, and one in an open air holding tank. The holding tank lets the entrained gas escape so that the faucets don’t fart and splash water everywhere.

I looked for one of these variable pumps that I could purchase and install myself. Seems I’ll have to wait for them to become more pervasive.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:26 PM
The Real Deal

Evidently no pitless adapters in your part of the country
Old 04-08-2018, 02:26 PM
Standard of Excellence

Apparently not, not enough pity to go around. I suppose the pipe could be attached to something else under the cap a ways, but you have to raise the cap to find out. With the health issues I have had over the last month or o, I just don't have the strength or stamina to even consider unscrewing 600 feet of pipe. So with the discover of pipe under the cap it removed me from the equation. I'll just put in my 25% of the bill and carry on.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:40 PM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

That is exactly why I am not doing mine...heavy 1.5hp pump and 480' of 1.5" sch 40 steel pipe doesn't interest me. If and when they replace it, it will all go back with threaded PVC and either brass or SS couplers I am told. They don't do steel anymore.

FWIW, I was quoted 4600 clams to pull and replace pump, pipe and wire and get it all running again.

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)
Old 04-08-2018, 06:05 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
The answer to that is replace when it is convenient to you or wait till it is not convenient.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 04-08-2018, 06:59 PM
Lord of the Minions

I might be of little help at the moment, but this is something you might consider to off-set the cost of hiring someone in the bidness to do so.

As our old school pump system at the farm is considerably shallow compared to most others farther North, this has still come in handy due to the sandy content I fight yearly and how that impacts the foot valve. At 300' I do not consider it a deep well by any means. But it's still a pain to pull up that much pipe by hand knowing I'll have to do it by myself.

I think I put this thing together back in 2012 or so after the FIL from hell decided he would pull it using pipe wrenches to dog the plastic as it came out of the well and he dropped the string into the hole.

As they had city water piped for the community from Abbeville and not having to rely on the well Mother decided she did not want to spend the money to fix things. My having some experience with 'fishing tools' while working in the oil patch, I made a few things and after two days of trying on and off I was able to latch onto and pull up the string.

I then pulled it up using a boat winch and dogs I made for the pipe and just ran the piping out of the side peak of the shed.

Knowing that I would have to face doing this every two or three years due to the sand etc and the footvalves I did a little looking on the www and came up with this.

Although I've not found a second use for this rig, I am able to use the power head for threading pipe when I need to do so. At least that's one plus for the expense.

It sits on stilts just under the ceiling joists to allow me to pull the motor and pump up first,. dog the pipe, remove the pump swinging it to the side, lowering the winch tires onto the pipe, tensioning the wheels and hitting the switch. The only tough part is for me to get the pipe fed to the hole in the upper wall. lol I just leave it sitting in place until the need arises to pull the string.

I'm currently waiting for good weather at the moment to once again to pull the pump and string to again replace the foot valve.

It is nice to have that secondary supply of fresh water when the city supply goes tits up etc.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!