Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 04-08-2018, 12:38 AM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

I have a 600 footer with a pump depth of 460' or 480'..can't remember which now. I am running a 1.5hp pump. I need to do the same thing, but have decided to get it done. Just a tad more work than I want to do at this point. Besides, my well guy only charges 500 clams to pull and put back the pump.

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)
Old 04-08-2018, 01:36 AM
Elite Member

There are two possible arrangements for well pumps. I just learned this last weekend, out of necessity. 1st arrangement is a two wire pump. This pump will have the startup stuff in the pump. 2nd arrangement is a three wire pump, with the startup stuff in a control box in your pressure tank area. Don’t count the green ground wire. With the green wire you will have three or four total wires.

If you have a two wire, and you need to replace it, get a three wire. It’s a lot easier and cheaper to replace an above ground control box if the startup stuff goes bad, and the total cost will likely be only $100 more, plus the third wire.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:41 AM
Elite Member

And don’t get a lumberyard pump, get one from the well service guy. It will last way longer.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:58 AM
Auction Addict

I always use a Gould pump. My well driller neighbor says they last the longest.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 04-08-2018, 09:41 AM

Goulds pump here too. My well driller can pull my 160ft pump swap the pump and have it back in the hole in 2hours at $90/hour its a no-brainer.

All of my wells get a 1hp pump. that way I only need to stock one starter box. I've got 5 waterwells I deal with and will only pull one myself if its an emergency. I cant write off my time but I can w/o the well companies bill.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:11 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Doing it with a come-along or a chain hoist--not in my lifetime! I'd be seriously looking for some professional help.

And read Terry's post again. I don't have as much experience as he does but everything he says is bang on...
Yep, I agree. Andy, you got beautiful things to build, let someone else use their skills, and you use yours.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 04-08-2018, 11:47 AM
Standard of Excellence

Yesterday, after discovering my pump had gone bad, I backed my truck over to the pump for the tools, and tailgate/workbench. Got some water in the tank, got the pressure pump back online, so I could take a shower and shave, so I could go play my bagpipes at a fundraiser. As I was finishing up, I went to start my pickup and no go. Cranked, but no vroom. I had noticed the low fuel light had come on, so I poured a couple gallons in, which I had brought home for the chainsaws, tools, etc. and I started right up. Maybe I didn't notice the light come on during my last drive home, who knows. I was looking like a very vexing day though.
In the end it turned out okay. I was able to get water working enough to give me time to consider my options. My fundraiser went well, for which I was freshly showered for...

Now, it appears I have a two wire pump. I did speak with two local well guys. Both want to put in a 3 wire pump saying that what I have is outdated, will never last, etc. then they ask how old the pump is. When I tell them it is 17 years old they go on as to how I must not have used it much... then I tell them it feeds 4 houses.
Anyhow, they each have vastly different structures for charging but both end up at about $3,500 to pull and replace the pump. The pump they want to use is roughly $1300+/-, but also need to replace the wire, and neither will include that in their guesstimate, so I am guessing another $1000 for wire.

So by now, I have watched some vids, read some articles, looked at some pump specs. I believe that I will attempt this myself. I have a nice pulley that
I can use for the truck method, or I can bring my gantry crane over and use that. I will also likely replace it with the same two wire pump. I may change the pump wiring to add a motor starter instead of wiring the motor through the float switch. Other than that, if it lasts another 10-15 years I can't complain.

I will keep you posted.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:15 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Yesterday, after discovering my pump had gone bad, I backed my truck over to the pump for the tools, and tailgate/workbench. Got some water in the tank, got the pressure pump back online, so I could take a shower and shave, so I could go play my bagpipes at a fundraiser. As I was finishing up, I went to start my pickup and no go. Cranked, but no vroom. I had noticed the low fuel light had come on, so I poured a couple gallons in, which I had brought home for the chainsaws, tools, etc. and I started right up. Maybe I didn't notice the light come on during my last drive home, who knows. I was looking like a very vexing day though.
In the end it turned out okay. I was able to get water working enough to give me time to consider my options. My fundraiser went well, for which I was freshly showered for...

Now, it appears I have a two wire pump. I did speak with two local well guys. Both want to put in a 3 wire pump saying that what I have is outdated, will never last, etc. then they ask how old the pump is. When I tell them it is 17 years old they go on as to how I must not have used it much... then I tell them it feeds 4 houses.
Anyhow, they each have vastly different structures for charging but both end up at about $3,500 to pull and replace the pump. The pump they want to use is roughly $1300+/-, but also need to replace the wire, and neither will include that in their guesstimate, so I am guessing another $1000 for wire.

So by now, I have watched some vids, read some articles, looked at some pump specs. I believe that I will attempt this myself. I have a nice pulley that
I can use for the truck method, or I can bring my gantry crane over and use that. I will also likely replace it with the same two wire pump. I may change the pump wiring to add a motor starter instead of wiring the motor through the float switch. Other than that, if it lasts another 10-15 years I can't complain.

I will keep you posted.
My well is 270' deep, water at 140', pump at 180. It is a 3/4 hp. Put in a new Gould pump, old wire was good. $900. Might have been cheaper than most because the well driller is a friend of mine. 4 hour job. I was the helper.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 04-08-2018, 12:26 PM
Master Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
A 600 ft. well is pretty damn deep.

I'd be seriously looking for some professional help.
I've pulled my 50' three quarter horse pump twice over the years.....it takes at least two people to do that without problems. I highly recommend Keith's post.
In life it's important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply letting them be wrong.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:41 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post

The pump they want to use is roughly $1300+/-, but also need to replace the wire, and neither will include that in their guesstimate, so I am guessing another $1000 for wire.
I may change the pump wiring to add a motor starter instead of wiring the motor through the float switch. Other than that, if it lasts another 10-15 years I can't complain.

I will keep you posted.
Andy, I must have some gene that refuses to do a job that will fail in a few years. I would get the wire spec,(or Terry can tell you) and go with the 3 wire system. Once you have the spec on the wire go to an industrial electric supplier, preferably one who only sells wire, and get a price. At present, $2 per foot seems high.
Retail price at Homeless Despot in Canada is $900 for 300 meters, which is over 1000ft. Thats $666USD. Industry pricing is always less.

The latest and greatest stuff out there is the tankless system where the pump rotates to give you only what you require. So filling a cup at the kitchen sink means the pump may rotate 10 times and shut off. That is the most expensive. The well boys always push the latest tech.

With the 3 wire, most of what can make you go bald is up on surface, and is newer technology then what you have.

If you want 3 wire, buy the wire and tell them not to include it in their estimate, hell, buy the pump too.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson