Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 10-16-2018, 12:05 PM

I have recently replaced the plastic piston stops in a nailer that broke up and didn't see any corrosion but was wondering if it had anything to do with the oil I used. I usually just use a light machine oil but was wondering if the air tool specific oil is designed to not degrade the plastic components, although I have used the same oil in all my other pneumatic tools for years with no problems.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:19 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritothebull View Post
I have recently replaced the plastic piston stops in a nailer that broke up and didn't see any corrosion but was wondering if it had anything to do with the oil I used. I usually just use a light machine oil but was wondering if the air tool specific oil is designed to not degrade the plastic components, although I have used the same oil in all my other pneumatic tools for years with no problems.
I would say its prolly best to use appropriate required oils
but in the failure you mentioned
I would venture to say it could of just been the type of plastic material used in the tool being they all are trying to get by in manufacturing things now days as cheap as possible in order to make the most profit out of it....

I might ad also that after researching the oil "digr" posted a link to that might be a ideal oil to use for air tools and for storing them long term

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!