Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 06-15-2018, 04:21 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcord View Post
Just seems like putting one switch in forward and the other in reverse would produce a lot of light, heat, and smoke.
Don't know why anyone would do that. That's what "lockouts" are for. ¿Comprende "facetious"?

Please read post #35.

Last edited by Gadgeteer; 06-15-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:59 AM
Lord of the Minions

Chris, I know it's there, just did not have the time due to trying to mow, in and out of rain showers and during down pours.

It was hard on the mower, but I tried to keep speed to a minimum. Took 5 hours not counting washing it after and changing oil and filter, fuel filter, checking compression and me drying off. sigh But, there is another weekend coming up. Sorry.

I was whipped with no sleep prior.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 06-18-2018 at 03:22 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:39 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Chris, I know it's there, just did not have the time due to trying to mow, in and out of rain showers and during down pours.

It was hard on the mower, but I tried to keep speed to a minimum. Took 5 hours not counting washing it after and changing oil and filter, fuel filter, checking compression and me drying off. sigh But, there is another weekend coming up. Sorry.

I was whipped with no sleep prior.
No rush at all. Lathe is working fine as is. This is just an upgrade I'd like to do when there is time. I will be in CA/AK for the next two months. With the house jacking you have plenty to do anyway.

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves"

William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Last edited by milomilo; 06-19-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:29 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
With the house jacking you have plenty to do anyway.
Common sense has forced me to stall the actual work of lifting till next early early spring. It will take me the rest of the time till then to have all items needed in working conditions as well as all materials sitting staged at the ready as well. It will allow a quicker start to finish time of the lift and as well I'll probably be there full time with no interruptions of the job now in Lake Chuck.

Chris, being the entry level machinist I believe myself to be, is your lathe capable or being reversed for machining or is it limited to reversing but not under load as the chuck will unscrew as in the case of my Lil Logan?

I'm guessing it is held in such a fashion as to allow reversing for work.

Everytime I watch a 'Keith Fenner' vid, it makes me want a lathe such as his for my shop. With the tracer and all of his assortment of tooling for it.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 06-18-2018, 09:47 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Common sense has forced me to stall the actual work of lifting till next early early spring. It will take me the rest of the time till then to have all items needed in working conditions as well as all materials sitting staged at the ready as well. It will allow a quicker start to finish time of the lift and as well I'll probably be there full time with no interruptions of the job now in Lake Chuck.

Chris, being the entry level machinist I believe myself to be, is your lathe capable or being reversed for machining or is it limited to reversing but not under load as the chuck will unscrew as in the case of my Lil Logan?

I'm guessing it is held in such a fashion as to allow reversing for work.

Everytime I watch a 'Keith Fenner' vid, it makes me want a lathe such as his for my shop. With the tracer and all of his assortment of tooling for it.
My lathe runs in forward and reverse, but the chuck is threaded on so no load allowed in reverse, like your Logan.

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves"

Old 06-19-2018, 09:05 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

The advantage of push button over drum switch is that a switch can be set up to actuate on/off with a couple of fingers attached to a rod that is traveling with your carriage so you have the safety factor at your finger tips.

I have a drum switch, and it is on my project list to make a mag switch setup and a sliding follower so I can have this like the newer lathes do.
I have often thought that if I became caught in the machine, reaching over and trying to shut off the drum switch would never successfully happen in the few seconds left. And the question, will my shoulder let my arm move far enough to get to the switch?
The other thing about a drum switch. If you are at full rpm and flip it past off over to reverse, it continues to rotate in the same direction because reversing takes place only on the start winding, which is disconnected at run speed.
You have to hit neutral off position as you are being sucked in.....

When you hit off on a button switch it is off. An interlock to prevent reversing til the the off position is latched is common.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 06-19-2018, 12:59 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
The advantage of push button over drum switch is that a switch can be set up to actuate on/off with a couple of fingers attached to a rod that is traveling with your carriage so you have the safety factor at your finger tips.

I have a drum switch, and it is on my project list to make a mag switch setup and a sliding follower so I can have this like the newer lathes do.
I have often thought that if I became caught in the machine, reaching over and trying to shut off the drum switch would never successfully happen in the few seconds left. And the question, will my shoulder let my arm move far enough to get to the switch?
The other thing about a drum switch. If you are at full rpm and flip it past off over to reverse, it continues to rotate in the same direction because reversing takes place only on the start winding, which is disconnected at run speed.
You have to hit neutral off position as you are being sucked in.....

When you hit off on a button switch it is off. An interlock to prevent reversing til the the off position is latched is common.
This drum switch will be in the front of the machine. Easy reach.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:19 PM
Elite Member

For safety concerns, you could add a safety disconnect that could be activated by a touch bar or two.