Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 05-16-2019, 06:13 PM
Standard of Excellence

Default Auto a/c evap case build?

I have been looking for an evap case for a/c in on of my projects. I have looked at all tthe vintage and old air stuff and find them to not fit the bill very well. I am considering building a custom evaporator/heater core case.
Has anyone built their own? Just looking for what pitfalls to avoid, good sources for evap cores, and if you found good ways to vent, duct, etc.

Thanks,
Old 05-16-2019, 10:27 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I have been looking for an evap case for a/c in on of my projects. I have looked at all tthe vintage and old air stuff and find them to not fit the bill very well. I am considering building a custom evaporator/heater core case.
Has anyone built their own? Just looking for what pitfalls to avoid, good sources for evap cores, and if you found good ways to vent, duct, etc.

Thanks,
Walker There is a vintage air place in San Antonio Texas, The ole guy has been in business there for 50 years and for the last 30 has been doing vintage air installs.. if they don't have it or can't get it "The Right One" Then they don't make it!

D&D Customs Auto Air... I'll have to look up his number if you want it
I've seen some amazing work come from his shop...

Plus there are ways you can do it your self... but I feel it is one of those things that DIY is much more expensive to do material wise than just buying an aftermarket custom fit...

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 05-16-2019, 11:45 PM
Standard of Excellence

The only aftermarket that comes close to fitting i an Old Air Hurricane 1000. All the others are simply too long. Building a box is no big deal. I dont really need to blend air temps, or do indoor/outdoor, and that seems to be what takes up so much room. When it is hot I valve off both sides of the hot water and run a/c on as cold as it will go. So I can stack my cores and not really care too much. I could even put in sliding dampers that I had to change when needed.