Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 05-17-2019, 11:16 AM
I can dig it

My dad had a bunch of old spark plugs that had the centre taken out, and an air fitting welded to it. He used them for valve spring/seal jobs like this, and years ago when burned out valves were more common, he would also use air to check for leaking valves.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 05-17-2019, 01:46 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
My dad had a bunch of old spark plugs that had the centre taken out, and an air fitting welded to it. He used them for valve spring/seal jobs like this, and years ago when burned out valves were more common, he would also use air to check for leaking valves.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
That's about how I remember my granddad doing it... So it's not something new but something most mechanics don't do too often anymore. and prolly don't want to do it in this way either...

But it has been a good while since I have had to do it this way myself.

Although the valve guide seals are giving me a bit of a fluster they are on good and don't want to just slip off I picked up a couple of cheap tools to modify so I can remove them easier as the ones on it are acting fused but have to be removed in order to put the new spring shims in... so I got a standard seal puller and a door panel removal tool el cheapos being I'm going to cut and bend them and don't want to make a mess of my good tools plus saves me the time in setting something up in the mill.

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!

Last edited by MetalWolf; 05-17-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:45 PM
Da Chief

Yep, I still do it with a piece of cotton clothes line, one hole at a time, Faster and easier, for me. I watched a couple of other teams drop valves and miss rounds, using the air pressure method.

In the shop, not a big deal, usually, I can fish 'em back up with a rare earth magnet on a stick, and some inventive tongue holding. Between rounds, it's a disaster.

In my first season with the Pro mod, the owner didn't have a lot of money or spares. We checked valve spring tension every pass, I got pretty fast at checking tension and changing springs, if necessary, between rounds. (Vaseline is your friend)

Bottle stoppers, to fit in every hole on the head, on a string, (braided vinyl covered wire) and a tray under the mains kept them little non mag bit's under control.

The home made long handled spring compressor tool was coated in plasti-dip, so as to not scratch them high zoot titanium retainers and keepers. That "2 at a time" compressor looks plenty trick, but, a bit slow for me.

With less than 90 minutes between rounds, ya get pretty fast at routine maintenance, and even faster dealing with BROKE STUFF, now if I could just get that third hand trained...

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 05-18-2019, 12:55 PM
The Real Deal

I dropped one on a motorcycle once and got it back by using one of these
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	95468_W3.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	150824  
Old 05-18-2019, 04:01 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
I dropped one on a motorcycle once and got it back by using one of these
yep, I bought one of those a few months ago comes in handy for sucking out power steering pumps and masters, etc.

Also picked up a pressure brake bleeder master kit. but it's only good for anything with rear ABS
"no beano por caca" on anything with 4W ABS...

I'm done with this one for now... lit the engine this afternoon and it runs and sounds good... considering he's got a Borla exhaust system which I'm not too fond of... the crackly sound that is... and it still needs the right tune in it...
and then It should have a little more of the right attitude. well once they figure out how to get the rear to hook up good. but it's not too bad for a street car.

Now... all that is left to do is, write up the bill, clean up the shop and drag in the next one to start on... but really don't feel like cleaning up the shop right now... but then again it will drive my butt crazy if I don't get it cleaned up

Old 05-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post
so as to not scratch them high zoot titanium retainers and keepers. That "2 at a time" compressor looks plenty trick, but, a bit slow for me.
yep, I just take my time but was not bad only takes a minute to do both valves at one time...

the springs I removed were Lunati springs good up to 650 lift and had them titanium retainers didn't even have 3000 miles of drive time on them yet but not much use to me, So, I trashed the springs, keepers and all...

thought about hanging on to the springs to use for some project down the road but heck just is more junk to pile on top of the other unused junk I had future plans for...

Old 05-18-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
yep, I just take my time but was not bad only takes a minute to do both valves at one time...

the springs I removed were Lunati springs good up to 650 lift and had them titanium retainers didn't even have 3000 miles of drive time on them yet but not much use to me, So, I trashed the springs, keepers and all...

thought about hanging on to the springs to use for some project down the road but heck just is more junk to pile on top of the other unused junk I had future plans for...
Single or dual springs? If dual I’ll buy the locks/retainers from ya.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:39 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Zach View Post
Single or dual springs? If dual I’ll buy the locks/retainers from ya.
Dual Springs the retainer's are titanium... I think the shims are also...
When I go back out to shop later tonight I'll pull the bix of springs and stuff out of the scrap bind not sure why but I did repackage all the used ones back in the package the new ones came out of... So they are still clean and lubed really well. I'll wipe it all down.

I have a 250hp outboard merc I need to get in the shop and pull apart later tonight, the customer blew the gears out the side of the lower unit and I need to make the disconnect tool to remove the lower drive shaft and linkage on this one and I'll look and see what I have in material to make the seal installer out of...

was thinking aluminum but might be brass or SS just depends on what I have to make them out of... Aluminum would be lighter. but, also softer, although the one I borrowed was aluminum. I think SS or brass will be better to use or even titanium... I think I have some large titanium bolts I can use for it if they have grown legs and ran away since last I looked at them.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:44 PM
Da Chief

Ya, it's amazing how fast the "spares" pile grows when you work for the Daddy Warbucks crowd. I had a stack of pistons with 3 or 4 runs on 'em, clean, re ring, bag'em and get told to use new ones, those might be cracked, (or some such) just order new ones. At the end of the season, I was a pretty popular guy with the "scratch out another run" crowd.

I guess some would call me a hoarder, but it bothers me to toss good, useable parts. I'll never wrench or drive another alcohol car, so the pile is gone, need the floor space. Sure has been good for the barley pop stash. actually had to remove the furry pizza to make room for the required stuff.

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 05-18-2019, 10:15 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post
Ya, it's amazing how fast the "spares" pile grows when you work for the Daddy Warbucks crowd. I had a stack of pistons with 3 or 4 runs on 'em, clean, re ring, bag'em and get told to use new ones, those might be cracked, (or some such) just order new ones. At the end of the season, I was a pretty popular guy with the "scratch out another run" crowd.

I guess some would call me a hoarder, but it bothers me to toss good, useable parts. I'll never wrench or drive another alcohol car, so the pile is gone, need the floor space. Sure has been good for the barley pop stash. actually had to remove the furry pizza to make room for the required stuff.

RED
All though I do wish I would have hung on to some stuff I use to have a pile of front engine rail frames and rear diff's and prolly 20 or so power glides and a few TH400 and T10 4 speeds but when I moved I sold all that to a buddy in Acuna~ Mexico for scrap prices because I just didn't want to haul it in the move here. I had huge boat storage that started out being 1 30x40 then rented the other four next to it as they became available and just stockpiled parts for years... wasn't hard to somewhat give away the stuff dirt cheap but was not a lot of call in the middle of the Texas desert for drag racing parts...

Left 3 classic cars behind as well and gave them to a couple of high school kids but I'm sure they are still sitting out on the ranch where I hauled them too. also left/gave away my MX3 point to point a nitrous car... I had hit a deer within HWY90 and it pushed the engine up about even with the gauge cluster
not salvageable but kids wanted it too so I gave it to them too.

We never saw really big deer while hunting... the big ones only came out at night to be hit by cars

But there is a demand in this part of the country for that old stuff so I wish I would have hung on to some but oh well its all long gone...
plus now nowhere to store it where it won't just go to ruin.