Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-30-2019, 12:45 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post
...A few posts later, an eagle eyed porch climber made mention of it, I responded in my usual cryptic style, And the mystery was born. Around post # 5....
WTF is an EEPC? And should I be offended? Because I don't have a porch and if I did I wouldn't be able to climb it as we are at ground level...

PS: I DO have fairly decent vision for an older fellow...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...

Last edited by mccutter; 03-30-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:42 PM
Da Chief

Welp, you can be offended if you like, but I wouldn't recommend it . (I never could keep a good pout going more than about 3 minutes)

I remember that "bad seed" car, what a hoot.

My "Bad Cad" motor is a bit hotter than the junk yard jewell that Steve used. I don't think a mid 9 sec. street Pro stock (pro touring?) is too far off...

The hunt is on for a one piece 'glass front end.

I'm not going to set the engine back as far as Steve did, but the back of the heads will be even with the new firewall, water pump about even with the front spindle centerline.

The crank nose centerline will likely end up being higher than the spindles with about a 5 or 6 ° rear down angle, to help weight transfer.

Zack and Randy, you guys can jump in here anytime to correct my redgineering.

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 03-30-2019, 11:56 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post
Welp, you can be offended if you like, but I wouldn't recommend it . (I never could keep a good pout going more than about 3 minutes)

I remember that "bad seed" car, what a hoot.

My "Bad Cad" motor is a bit hotter than the junk yard jewell that Steve used. I don't think a mid 9 sec. street Pro stock (pro touring?) is too far off...

The hunt is on for a one piece 'glass front end.

I'm not going to set the engine back as far as Steve did, but the back of the heads will be even with the new firewall, water pump about even with the front spindle centerline.

The crank nose centerline will likely end up being higher than the spindles with about a 5 or 6 ° rear down angle, to help weight transfer.

Zack and Randy, you guys can jump in here anytime to correct my redgineering.

RED
Hard to tell from the pic. but, sounds like your gonna have to move/mod. the firewall a wee-bit..... Are you going to upgrade the spindles too?

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-31-2019, 07:22 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

I'm watching you Red.i got nothing to say,just yet!
Old 03-31-2019, 07:38 AM
Da Chief

The spindles and "A" arms are Mustang II, with Aeroquip calipers/mounts/drilled hats. That should carry the weight of the Caddy, (about the same as a SBC) even with a wheelstand bounce or two. for this application, I prefer the "A" arms to a strut system, a bit more complex, but tougher. Safe street first.

That's part of what makes the cad so special, big displacement in a small size, very tough material, high nickel casting, several oil pan choices so no need for a custom pan, dry sump Etc. The distributor is up front. The tall tunnel ram might be a bit of a visual handicap, but if I can get it up high enough to see under the scoop, Addle dew it. or perhaps a lexan box...

Some drawbacks include, difficult to machine, hand porting heads is a marathon, not a sprint, like SBC/SBF. Somewhat compression limited, stock intake and exhaust manifolds are restrictive and solutions are expensive for stock location swaps.(I've seen a couple stuffed in a Fox body Ford, it can be done...)

The rear is done, the 4 link/ 9 inch / coil over shock set up is bullet proof and the cage/frame will likely certify to the 7's.

And the beat goes on...

RED

Old 03-31-2019, 10:10 AM
Blast this!

Medical requirements ?
Old 03-31-2019, 10:35 AM
Da Chief

Huh?

Red

Old 03-31-2019, 10:49 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

In the stock Pinto box I had, the exhaust was the hard part--and I only swapped in the factory 2800cc V6 instead of the 4-banger. It got tight quick on the steering components. I'd imagine this rig has a bit better handle on it with less junk in the way, especially since it's missing the metal front end.

Still following along, trying to reduce the urge to start playing with toy cars again. I won't finish the damn thing anyway, but I've still got my little Thames Panel truck in the back and the Pinto project was closely related. I've got a spare AWD Honda drive train that could be fun for a body swap.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 03-31-2019, 11:04 AM

I don’t have anything to add. Just along for the ride right now.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:26 PM
Urban Gunfighter

Feeling pretty stupid right now, as after all these years I finally put the puzzle together on the meaning of your screen name, Red... Duh.

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."