Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 05-18-2019, 10:23 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
When will I learn to say no, sand blast, primer, paint, new wiring and brakes
Digr... Are you going to dry blast of wet blast... I bought the wet blast attachment for the pressure washer and I won't go back to dry blasting...
And yes contrary to what people will tell you they will work with 3000psi Power washers but are more efficient with 4000 to 5000 psi. but do a nice job still with 3000psi...

I have a 5500 psi washer on order a generic PW... not for any job I plan on doing but more for using on a bunch of personal crap I let sit out that I want to clean up and repaint.

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 05-19-2019, 07:44 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Anyone know of a wiring kit with everything I need to put lights on this trailer from front to back starting with nothing. It is over 80 inches wide and 21 feet long and has surge brakes. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
HF kit.

We are losing sight of civility in government and politics. Debate and dialogue is taking a back seat to the politics of destruction and anger and control. Dogma has replaced thoughtful discussion between people of differing views.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:52 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

I'm surprised you didn't drop the axles & leaf springs when upright.

After blasting you might find some cracks and rotted out stuff needing welded.

For most all parts, I have been using etrailer.com
Old 05-20-2019, 12:17 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Geez I thought HF prices were sort of all the same across the board
on sale book, those are 34.99 in the coupon book.
And in the store, they are 29.00

But they are weird one day they send an e-mail and all the prices are different from the booklet flyer and hen you go in store and the shelf price is either higher or a lot of time is even lower.

They have always had an odd way of pricing advertising IMO...

But I have used those exact lights and they are so far the best bang for the buck compared to all the high priced rebranded same, same...

Old 05-20-2019, 03:52 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Geez I thought HF prices were sort of all the same across the board
on sale book, those are 34.99 in the coupon book.
And in the store, they are 29.00

But they are weird one day they send an e-mail and all the prices are different from the booklet flyer and hen you go in store and the shelf price is either higher or a lot of time is even lower.

They have always had an odd way of pricing advertising IMO...

But I have used those exact lights and they are so far the best bang for the buck compared to all the high priced rebranded same, same...
Pricing is always weird at HF. Still better than most places even when they do not have the lowest advertised price. That same kit was $34 for the sons trailer I built him year before last.

We are losing sight of civility in government and politics. Debate and dialogue is taking a back seat to the politics of destruction and anger and control. Dogma has replaced thoughtful discussion between people of differing views.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:02 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Pricing is always weird at HF. Still better than most places even when they do not have the lowest advertised price. That same kit was $34 for the sons trailer I built him year before last.
Yep, I don't know about the one where you and others are at... but the HF's here have been carrying the push in oval ones for the last year, for a dirt cheap price

I need to go pick up a couple of sets before they are out of stock manager said they might not keep carrying those.... seems odd they don't have a bigger calling here for them prolly cause most city folks here to use rental trailers and such... but us country folks have so many different utility tail light requirements/needs

seems about half the equipment and vehicles out here are, oval and the other half are the box light "A" typical utility lighting...

But HF prices are affordable for them for sure even if oddly sold in loopy oddball advertising pricing

Old 05-20-2019, 05:14 PM
Something's Fishy ...

Here PA the HF equivalent has a emergency towing lights kit that has magnet mounted lights and a complete harness for less than the price of the light fixtures when I build a trailer I watch the fliers and snag one. The I add the requires Grote style marker and clearance lights and change the taillights to whatever form factor I need job done in about one third the time for a start from scratchj set vup with the plug end a sealed molded design and all added connections in protected locations soldered and shrink tube sealed.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:22 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
Here PA the HF equivalent has a emergency towing lights kit that has magnet mounted lights and a complete harness for less than the price of the light fixtures when I build a trailer I watch the fliers and snag one. The I add the requires Grote style marker and clearance lights and change the taillights to whatever form factor I need job done in about one third the time for a start from scratchj set vup with the plug end a sealed molded design and all added connections in protected locations soldered and shrink tube sealed.
See here in Texas technically it is illegal to use the tow lights for towing but they sell them in every parts store or anywhere you can buy trailer lighting
I do buy them and use them for tractors I have o modify them some but they are a hell of a lot cheaper than the ones sold for most mall common tractor around here...

funny thing is tow lights maybe illegal to tow with here but it is hardly set upon by LE unless one has a bur under his ass then he will write ya up for anything and everything. wreckers are to only use bar lights so they say...
but yet the bar tow light is still just a tow light IMO I think its just a catch 22 they use for a reason to screw with someone...

Old 05-20-2019, 09:13 PM
Something's Fishy ...

I do not use the "tow lights" only the wiring harness as I can not buy the parts and wire for the price of that tow kit
All lights are extra and selected for the best match to the trailer.
If you need the extra wires for trailer brakes or back up lights then you need a seven pin plug and cable to the distribution box.
any trailer I wire that has electric brakes gets a distribution box and best practice wiring to all components on the trailer.
This makes troubleshooting a few years later much easier.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:27 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
...This makes troubleshooting a few years later much easier...
Amen to that. Cheap wire, cheap lights and cheap connectors are a recipe for trouble down the road, especially if you're in an area that uses lots of salt on the roads. I've wired many a trailer in my life and I've never skimped on parts as they'll only come back to haunt you in later years...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?