Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 12-12-2018, 09:22 PM
That HURT!

Default One step closer to having a new shop in Florida

I have a plan, I have a place, I have no idea how long it's going to take or how much it's going to cost.

The plan is a 40x60x14 red steel structure. 40x40 will be enclosed and the extra 20x40 an open area under roof.

The place is a 10 acre plantation of loblolly and long needle pine trees in NE Florida that will also be my homestead. We call it Honu Grove.

The first step was to locate the shop and house build sites on the property. It tool Laura and I several weeks to decide on locations for the buildings but we did it and marked all the corners. Most timber buyers that I called did not want to take on a job this small but I finally found someone that would clear the timber off our build sites and thin the rest of the plantation.

Before the logger can get in to do his work I needed to put in a culvert and driveway. I needed a permit from the state DOT and they dictated the specifications on my driveway. I found a contractor to put in my culvert and driveway. They started on Tuesday and pretty much finished today. I'll give the concrete a week before I drive on it and wait till after the first of the year before the logger uses it.

My daughter Islay has named this driveway into the backside of our property
"Redneck Road"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3287.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	148455   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3290.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	148456   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3291.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	148457  
Old 12-13-2018, 07:30 AM
Elite Member

Looking good. I can't wait to see the rest of the place.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:43 AM
Da Chief

Wow, that's a great big first step, well done.

All I can add is when I laid out my block on slab shop, I thought 40 X 60 X 13 was all the room I'd ever need or want. I was wrong. By the time I had carved out a 13' X 14' insulated, under air, machinery room. (your climate up there is a bit dryer than mine here, but rust/moisture is still a daily problem) Added a mezzanine on a side and one end, emptied out 4 rented storage units, I was outta room.

With stuff and junk coming and going daily, it's a constant battle to keep a build / fix bay open and available. If I had the room available, I would add a 20 X 60 shed roof over a slab, with a 50 foot work bench, just to have a work bay and out of the sun parking for my RV and TV.

If wishes were horses....

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 12-13-2018, 11:07 AM
Elite Member

No matter how big you build it, it will be too small.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 12-13-2018, 01:48 PM
Auction Addict

You sure do not mess around. Sounds like a great plan. Congrats!!!

We are losing sight of civility in government and politics. Debate and dialogue is taking a back seat to the politics of destruction and anger and control. Dogma has replaced thoughtful discussion between people of differing views.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:06 PM
That HURT!

So the shop I'm vacating in THAT northern state is 40x40x12 and all of MY stuff fits in that size shop. I have been storing Trevor's stuff and projects in my size shop for a whole butt load of years.

I think that if I have the same size shop all to myself, without having to share the space with anyone else, I will be better off than I was before I vacated that northern place.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:38 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Once the house and shop are up, can you keep the container?
A couple of them beside or behind the shop would allow you to have "dry" storage if you would need it. You could also keep your lawn equipment in it. That would free up some space in the main shop building. An acquaintance bought two, one (high cube) is set up with a roll up door for his lawn and garden equipment. This one was missing one of the doors. The other, a standard container, is set up with lock hoods and heavy duty locks. This one contains his extra contractors equipment. Just a thought.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 12-29-2018, 06:26 PM

Yay how exciting. Congratulations!! It’s gonna be great!
Old 01-15-2019, 08:15 PM
That HURT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu47Dan View Post
You could also keep your lawn equipment in it.
Dan.
Dan, this is going to be my "Forever" house and I'm building it maintenance free. It will have no lawns so I will have no need for lawn equipment.

Things are happening. The logger started mobilizing today and only has to bring in his limb gate tomorrow. He thinks we will start cutting and loading after lunch tomorrow..

I kept the opening to red neck road from the highway very narrow but one you get through the first line of trees I opened it up enough for the logger to have his landing there instead of disturbing other parts of the property.

I should have a good update tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3314.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	148843   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3316.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	148844  
Old 01-15-2019, 08:41 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmack898 View Post
Dan, this is going to be my "Forever" house and I'm building it maintenance free. It will have no lawns so I will have no need for lawn equipment.

Things are happening. The logger started mobilizing today and only has to bring in his limb gate tomorrow. He thinks we will start cutting and loading after lunch tomorrow..

I kept the opening to red neck road from the highway very narrow but one you get through the first line of trees I opened it up enough for the logger to have his landing there instead of disturbing other parts of the property.

I should have a good update tomorrow.
Is the logger doing stump pulling too?

We are losing sight of civility in government and politics. Debate and dialogue is taking a back seat to the politics of destruction and anger and control. Dogma has replaced thoughtful discussion between people of differing views.