Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 02-20-2019, 01:42 PM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
I was asking if the services like the gas and sewer lines pass through the area you want to build on and if so are there covenants preventing building on top of them?

Ahhh, now I get it.

In a lot of places in Alberta services are fed from the rear service alleys. Our house, because it has a side and rear alley, we’re lucky in that it was fed from the side.

There will be some hand digging to get the electrical from the existing panel, and gas has two options. There is a gas line running through the house that we may be able to tee into. If we have to go to the meter, it will be a bit more work and a longer run. I don’t know the rules etc on gas in particular well enough, so I hope to find someone local for that.

I also want to look at options for heating. A gas space heater would likely be the simplest. I’m hoping to insulate under the concrete, so I’m tempted to look at in floor radiant heat. Not sure what sort of options I have for a heat source for that. I also don’t have the plans to run water out to the shop, so would need to be a self contained system once up and running.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 02-20-2019, 04:37 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Ahhh, now I get it.

In a lot of places in Alberta services are fed from the rear service alleys. Our house, because it has a side and rear alley, we’re lucky in that it was fed from the side.

There will be some hand digging to get the electrical from the existing panel, and gas has two options. There is a gas line running through the house that we may be able to tee into. If we have to go to the meter, it will be a bit more work and a longer run. I don’t know the rules etc on gas in particular well enough, so I hope to find someone local for that.

I also want to look at options for heating. A gas space heater would likely be the simplest. I’m hoping to insulate under the concrete, so I’m tempted to look at in floor radiant heat. Not sure what sort of options I have for a heat source for that. I also don’t have the plans to run water out to the shop, so would need to be a self contained system once up and running.

Don't forget to plan in a thunder mug, a shop needs to have a thunder mug.

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 02-20-2019, 04:49 PM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post

Nope. It’s 30-40’ from the back door of the house. With the depth required to bury water lines here to prevent freezing, the space it would take, and the cost, there won’t be any water in the shop.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:56 PM
The Real Deal

If you go floor heat you will never regret it, spendy but that's what I have and love it. Do they allow floor drains in that neck of the woods?
Old 02-20-2019, 05:10 PM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
If you go floor heat you will never regret it, spendy but that's what I have and love it. Do they allow floor drains in that neck of the woods?

Not sure if they are allowed or not. This area is so flat that having a floor drain would be tough to find a spot to drain to.

I also find that because the air tends to be dry, water on floors evaporates quickly. Right now we have two humidifiers running non-stop in the house, adding about 2-3 gallons of water to the air each day, and even in a xlosed bathroom a shower barely steams up the mirror.

The house garage rarely has water on it for more than a day from the car this winter, so I suspect that I can live with any vehicle drips.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:20 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

At the cement plant in Warburg they are advertising floor drains. They are a concrete box with a devider and can be coupled to a sewer, but the thing is to keep the oil in the trap and clean it out.

Personally pretty happy with no drain in my shop. I like to keep my concrete clean and if any drips I hit it with zorb-all and clean it up right away.
This is the first time in my life I have had a shop with a concrete floor, and the appreciation of it is still fresh

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 02-26-2019, 11:37 PM
I can dig it

I’ve worked in shops with and without drains. I’ve found that as long as the bulk of the snow is cleared off, in a warm shop, they melt and dry off fairly quick, usually overnight.

I also find out here in the drier climate that even puddles inside are gone in a day or two. A squeegee would help speed that up.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:39 PM
The Real Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
In my old garage I had a funnel with a hose in the corner