Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 11-04-2017, 08:24 PM
That HURT!

Well the pics might not show it but I did get a butt ton of work done today. Since Trevor is home for the weekend, I had him help me turn the table right side up and let me weld up the bottom side of all the joints i couldn't get when it was upside down.

Next up was getting the 1-1/2" tube that support the rails welded in. They have to be parallel so I had to make up a few fixtures to help getting them aligned before taken them in place and then stick welding each side. The top rail of the table is 30" tall and I can't tell you how many times I "jumped the fence" today to get the rails all stick welded in place without distorting anything. I'm fricking tired.

Tomorrow I will lay out the holes in the cold rolled top rail and drill and tap them.

Monday I make a run back to the steel supply to pick up some custom angle I had them bend for me and start on the water table part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5012.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	141824   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5013.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	141825  
Old 11-04-2017, 09:24 PM
Auction Addict

Good progress. How deep will your water table be?

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:23 PM
That HURT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Good progress. How deep will your water table be?
Table will be 6" deep with 2" of water.

Since this table is so damn big, I would like to be able to move it when needed to make room to get other things into the shop.

I wanted to have some kind of retractable wheels and not have to use some kind of leveling screw in the legs to jack the table off the wheels.

After spending a whole bunch of time thinking about ideas that were just way too expensive (air bags, hydraulics, etc.) I came up with a mechanical solution. One of my requirements is that I want to extend/retract the wheels with no tools.

What I came up with is a hinged caster plate that is actuated by an over center cam. The mechanism only needs to lift the table about a half inch. I bought the heaviest duty door hinge that Lowes had and I just couldn't make it work right. I decided that I would build the whole thing even the hinges with stuff from my scrap pile. So stated by making plated to bolt the caster to, then it was off to the scrap pile to see what I had to make the next part from. The materials I had on hand are what actually drove the design one part at a time.

I was easier to make 4 of each part so I didn't have to repeat all the set ups after I made the prototype. I had the better part of Sunday and half of today and started to get a little bit worried about spending so much time making parts for something I wasn't sure would work.

I got the first one welded up and then clamped it to the table leg and was pleasantly surprised that it worked as well as I had thought it would. I have to make one change on the handle location but I should get them all finished tomorrow and will post pics of them on the table. One quarter turn of the handle raises the table let 3/4"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN5017.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	141924   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5016.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	141925   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5015.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	141926   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5014.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	141927  
Old 11-06-2017, 10:29 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Good show Mack, even if they did "take too long". Sometimes that's the only way to get what you want.
I love cam actuated gizmos.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 11-06-2017, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Nice cam action casters.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 11-15-2017, 07:57 PM
That HURT!

I got all the wheels welded up and installed. In the down position they lift the table legs about 3/4" off the floor and the table is easy for me to roll around by myself. I actually had to take a break from it for a day or two as I had the first wheel all welded up and realized I welded it backwards. I was so pissed at myself for paying closer attention that I had to walk away for a few days.

Next up was to start putting the gantry together. I had to drill and tap 48 holes in the 3x3 tube and I used a drill/tap combo and did the entire thing in about 15 minutes. Once I had all the pieces for the gantry squared and clamped together, it got tacked and stitch welded.

With the gantry done, I started mounting the 3x1/2" cold rolled rails. I pre drilled all the holes in the rails and then clamped the rail in place. I used a piece of 5/16" drill rod in the chuck of the mag drill to get centered on the hole. Once centered I put the drill/tap combo in the mag drill and worked my way down the rail.

I got one rail done and had to call it quits to bring paying job into the shop. I used the lift wheels to move the table and make room for the hot dog cart that came in with a broken frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN5034.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	142114   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5035.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	142115   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5030.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	142116   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5032.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	142117   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5027.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	142118  

Old 11-15-2017, 10:47 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmack898 View Post
I actually had to take a break from it for a day or two as I had the first wheel all welded up and realized I welded it backwards. I was so pissed at myself for paying closer attention that I had to walk away for a few days.
That sounds like something I would do.
But looking at the pictures I can't figure out what "backwards" would mean, or which part you could turn backwards?

Just Keep Walking

Old 11-16-2017, 06:53 AM
That HURT!

I made the basic hinge first, all four of them. one leg of the hinge is longer and drilled for the caster to bolt on. The other leg of the hinge is shorter and where the piece of channel that holds the cam shaft get welded.

Not only did I tack the channel on the caster side of the hinge, I didn't notice I had it wrong until it was fully welded
Old 11-16-2017, 07:01 PM
That HURT!

I got a call to come look at this job, its a hotdog cart that has a broken frame is severely rusted out. I really didn't want to get involved in this and quoted a price that would make anyone runaway from me. There are not many folks around here that will work on a hot dog cart and I got the job at my price.

So the plasma table got pushed aside enough for me to bring the hot dog cart in the shop. Th frame basically rusted out from underneath the cart so I will have to jack it up, cut out all the rotten steel and build a new frame to set the cart on. I really didn't want to get involved in a project like this but it will pay for a good portion of the plasma table, so I guess it's game on for the hot dog cart.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN5036.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	142136   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5037.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	142137   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5038.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	142138   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5039.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	142139  
Old 11-16-2017, 07:26 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmack898 View Post

Not only did I tack the channel on the caster side of the hinge, I didn't notice I had it wrong until it was fully welded
Ah, okay. I looked at the pictures some more.

Just Keep Walking